Flaws in Pre-Installed Apps Expose Millions of Android Devices to Hackers

Speed Weed

https://thehackernews.com/2018/08/android-app-hack.html

Bought a new Android phone? What if I say your brand new smartphone can be hacked remotely?

Nearly all Android phones come with useless applications pre-installed by manufacturers or carriers, usually called bloatware, and there's nothing you can do if any of them has a backdoor built-in—even if you're careful about avoiding sketchy apps.

That's exactly what security researchers from mobile security firm Kryptowire demonstrated at the DEF CON security conference on Friday.

Researchers disclosed details of 47 different vulnerabilities deep inside the firmware and default apps (pre-installed and mostly non-removable) of 25 Android handsets that could allow hackers to spy on users and factory reset their devices, putting millions of Android devices at risk of hacking.

At least 11 of those vulnerable smartphones are manufactured by companies including Asus, ZTE, LG, and the Essential Phone, and being distributed by US carriers like Verizon and AT&T.

Other major Android handset brands include Vivo, Sony, Nokia, and Oppo, as well as many smaller manufacturers such as Sky, Leagoo, Plum, Orbic, MXQ, Doogee, Coolpad, and Alcatel.

Some vulnerabilities discovered by researchers could even allow hackers to execute arbitrary commands as the system user, wipe all user data from a device, lock users out of their devices, access device's microphone and other functions, access all their data, including their emails and messages, read and modify text messages, sending text messages, and more—all without the users' knowledge.
"All of these are vulnerabilities that are prepositioned. They come as you get the phone out the box," Kryptowire CEO Angelos Stavrou said in a statement. "That's important because consumers think they're only exposed if they download something that's bad."
For example, vulnerabilities in Asus ZenFone V Live could allow an entire system takeover, allowing attackers to take screenshots and record user’s screen, make phone calls, spying on text messages, and more.

Kryptowire, whose research was funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, explained that these vulnerabilities stem from the open nature of the Android's operating system that allows third-parties like device manufacturers and carriers to modify the code and create completely different versions of Android.

Kryptowire is the same security firm that, in late 2016, uncovered a pre-installed backdoor in more than 700 Million Android smartphones that surreptitiously found sending all text messages, call log, contact list, location history, and app data to China every 72 hours.

Kryptowire has responsibly reported the vulnerabilities to Google and the respective affected Android partners, some of which have patched the issues while others are working diligently and swiftly to address these issues with a patch.

However, it should be noted that since the Android operating system itself is not vulnerable to any of the disclosed issues, Google can't do much about this, as it has no control over the third apps pre-installed by manufacturers and carriers.

The biggest problem is warranty will be void if the device is rooted. I really hate all these non-removable bloatware that suck up a lot of performance and battery juice to the point that I want to remove them for good, but if I do that my phone warranty will be void. 

So they say there are vulnerabilities in preloaded apps but won't say which apps. Why can't you disclose them again? You throw crap at manufacturers but don't actually let the public know which apps are guilty because it's not like they can be downloaded from the app store am I right? Is this a genuine PSA or just click bait? 

Also this does not meet guidelines for this sub forum. You can't just quote the entire article... 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

apple phones are the one apple product i like. a iphone 8 (which i have, upgraded from 5s) is the same price  as a s9 so not overpriced

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

apple phones are the one apple product i like

Agreed.  I've tried android a few times over the years (Evo, S8) and just can't do it.  I prefer the IPhone.

10 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

INB4 Iphone fans arrive laughing...

Well Samsung isn't affected apparently, so the biggest competitor of Apple isn't affected, so they don't knowabout it.. ;)

13 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

The biggest problem is warranty will be void if the device is rooted.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prohibits this, as does it prohibit manufacturer's from voiding your warranty if you decide to unglue your phone to replace the battery yourself. That being said, obviously things like waterproofing are negated when doing such a repair, but the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the disassembly and/or rooting of your phone caused the hardware failure.

Unfortunately, in practice it's whomever has more money and lawyers that wins. :( 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

22 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

INB4 Iphone fans arrive laughing...

Surely you can remove default applications like you can on iOS - the worlds most advanced mobile operating system

this is why i like iPhones. no pre installed bloat... 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, RorzNZ said:

Surely you can remove default applications like you can on iOS - the worlds most advanced mobile operating system

can you on android? i've never been able to. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

can you on android? i've never been able to. 

Can't you access the file system and manually remove them even if you can't using the launcher?

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Can't you access the file system and manually remove them even if you can't using the launcher?

no idea. i really don't know. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

this is why i like iPhones. no pre installed bloat... 

You still cannot remove any stock apps from iOS last time I checked while android you can via ADB tools or have option to flash rom or root which allow you remove any application of your choosing.

edit: All you can do it move them into a folder in iOS while at least in android you can remove it after some googling or in most case you can disable it via apps.

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

In most case as manufacturer install them as system app the most you can do is disable them which is basically uninstall but still present on the system.

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

You still cannot remove any stock apps from iOS last time I checked while android you can via ADB tools or have option to flash rom or root which allow you remove any application of your choosing.

In most case as manufacturer install them as system app the most you can do is disable them which is basically uninstall but still present on the system.

You can uninstall utility applications on iOS, and when you Jailbreak you can delete the applications altogether, either using a tool or manually. The file system is more or less the same as on MacOS, so it's easy. 

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

rooting and stuff void warranty of loads of phones i believe.. and yeah you can't delete preinstalled apps on iOS but at least there isn't loads of them. 

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

so you can't uninstall them without voiding the warranty. only hide them. 

She/Her

Yay google isnt on this list....... tho ironically they already have my info soooooo ...../shrugshoulders ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 8/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So they say there are vulnerabilities in preloaded apps but won't say which apps. Why can't you disclose them again? You throw crap at manufacturers but don't actually let the public know which apps are guilty because it's not like they can be downloaded from the app store am I right? Is this a genuine PSA or just click bait? 

Also this does not meet guidelines for this sub forum. You can't just quote the entire article... 

It's likely to affect a very large number of apps, some of the preloaded Google apps are included such as Google Translate and Google Voice Typing. BleepingComputer has a much more technical article describing the dubbed Man-in-the-Disk attack.

A malicious app can manipulate other app's data by injecting malformed data, which can potentially crash the app. The crash then allows the malicious app to gain the permissions of the crashed app, so if the crashed app had a lot more permissions, the malicious one now gained all of those permissions. Additionally it's able to intercept app updates just as they are about to be installed replacing other apps with malicious versions. Following the Android security guidelines for development properly stops this attack but not all developers do, hence the news.

EDIT: Just realized this is different news, got em confused since I read both today. Too lazy to write a thread for the other one tho

On 8/13/2018 at 6:33 PM, Noctus said:

Yay google isnt on this list....... tho ironically they already have my info soooooo ...../shrugshoulders ?

Google Translate and Google Voice Typing are affected.

EDIT: Hmmm, just realized this is probably the other news I saw, woops.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

rooting and stuff void warranty of loads of phones i believe.. and yeah you can't delete preinstalled apps on iOS but at least there isn't loads of them. 

so you can't uninstall them without voiding the warranty. only hide them. 

Rooting doesn't void warranty only unlocking boot loader to flash root is, basically all most phone has way to lock your boot-loader and flashing stock rom and essentially making it stock and un-voiding your warranty.

Is not really hiding them, if you disable them. The app won't run in background etc.

Also ADB is option and doesn't void any warranty.

iOS doesn't come with much but you still cannot remove it. You just have hide it in folder on a homescreen you barely can change.

Also have you seen or used any recent android phone which isn't shit one off a supermarket shelf? They are essentially a few to no bloatware apart from google apps which most people actually used and removable. It just take a extra 10 minutes of setup, at least is not like window that reinstall them back after a window updates.

Magical Pineapples

Is not really hiding them, if you disable them. The app won't run in background etc.

oh okay. i didn't know that. 

if you do so, is the phone not vulnerable to attack like the OP describes?

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

oh okay. i didn't know that. 

if you do so, is the phone not vulnerable to attack like the OP describes?

Access via app is probably not possible but still possible via firmware. If it disable from what I have seen it remove all running services/process but some app won't allow you to disable it such as some basic function apps but in most case still removable via ADB.

Magical Pineapples

Access via app is probably not possible but still possible via firmware. If it disable from what I have seen it remove all running services/process but some app won't allow you to disable it such as some basic function apps but in most case still removable via ADB.

some phones i've had did have some apps on it that were installed by the manufacturer and i couldn't disable those.. i'll look into removing them. it'll be nice to do if my iPhone ever breaks and i need to use them again. 

She/Her

@DrMacintosh thoughts?

@Swatson #noregrets

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

iOS doesn't come with much but you still cannot remove it. You just have hide it in folder on a homescreen you barely can change.

You can 'delete' most apps (starting with iOS 10), although it's more like hiding the app (it's still part of the OS, but there are no references to it anywhere -- so you have to 're-download' it from the App Store) and deleting all info. Only Settings, Safari, Find iPhone, Photos, Camera, Clock, Wallet, Health, and App Store can't be uninstalled.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

27 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

The rest are fairly integrated apps that will cause instability of iOS if you remove them - so Apple doesn't let you, but if you jailbreak you can easily. You can see with these screenshots most default apps can be removed. iOS 12. 

IMG_0330.PNG

IMG_0331.PNG

Was expecting to see more people saying "Oh well I can just root my device so I don't have to worry about this" or something along those lines. Was disappointed in the lack of that. 

No bloatware=good

bloatware=bad

On 8/13/2018 at 7:02 PM, RorzNZ said:

The rest are fairly integrated apps that will cause instability of iOS if you remove them - so Apple doesn't let you, but if you jailbreak you can easily. You can see with these screenshots most default apps can be removed. iOS 12. 

Basically any non critical app can be "removed" from iOS and gotten again from the App store. However I do not know for sure if a system app is actually deleted if you delete it or if it is simply disabled and its icon is hidden. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

However I do not know for sure if a system app is actually deleted if you delete it or if it is simply disabled and its icon is hidden. 

"With iOS 10, you can remove built-in apps from the Home screen on your device, but you can't delete them."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208094

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

"With iOS 10, you can remove built-in apps from the Home screen on your device, but you can't delete them."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208094

That's what I remembered. It might have changed in iOS 11 and might also change in iOS 12. But the result is the same, the app is disabled. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)