Was the UK the right setting for Forza Horizon 4?

3 Lions

Just would like to know. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Just would like to know. 

Didn't 2 take place in the UK? Or was that France?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

They added some hills, but I'm still butthurt they haven't had an actual mountain since the first game, and 2 WAS in Italy and France. Almost as flat as Kansas.

#Muricaparrotgang

43 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

They added some hills, but I'm still butthurt they haven't had an actual mountain since the first game, and 2 WAS in Italy and France. Almost as flat as Kansas.

FH3 DLC Blizzard Mountain tho 

in fact i think Playground games probably adapted it for the winter season in FH4 

2 hours ago, Techicolors said:

FH3 DLC Blizzard Mountain tho 

in fact i think Playground games probably adapted it for the winter season in FH4 

Blizzard mountain both takes place in snow, and still somehow lacks that same kind of mountain road feel. There's also the element of Rally racing which hasn't been present and Storm Island was a frank disappointment.

#Muricaparrotgang

8 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

So does it rain all the time?

No :)

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

7 hours ago, AskTJ said:

I really wanted Japan, Tokyo. That would've been the best.

Actually I personally think the UK was a good choice. 

زندگی از چراغ

15 hours ago, AskTJ said:

I really wanted Japan, Tokyo. That would've been the best.

I don't know about Tokyo... that would just be a lot of flat city. Japan in general? Hell yeah. Mt. Fuji in the distance... or even drifting up the side of it would be awesome.

#Muricaparrotgang

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Mt. Fuji in the distance... or even drifting up the side of it would be awesome.

That's the problem, that's what Japan is only known for. Drifting. The Forza Horizon games try to include stuff for every type of car and motorsport enthusiast and that's why the UK is better, we have everything. 

1) We have had a rich history in rally, with famous drivers like Colin McRae and Richard Burns. 

2) For drift fans we have a dedicated championship (British Drift Championship).

3) Our premier motorsport series (BTCC) is one of the oldest saloon car championships in the world which is actually celebrating 60 years this season and early traces of it are known to exist from 1952 (video linked below).

4) The UK has lots of off-roading areas catering to fans of that. 

5) Nearly every F1 team is based in the UK. 

6) We appreciate classic and vintage cars (video linked below).

7) The UK has some amazing roads (video linked below).

For Point 3...

For point 6...

For point 7...

زندگی از چراغ

10 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That's the problem, that's what Japan is only known for. Drifting. The Forza Horizon games try to include stuff for every type of car and motorsport enthusiast and that's why the UK is better, we have everything. 

1) We have had a rich history in rally, with famous drivers like Colin McRae and Richard Burns. 

2) For drift fans we have a dedicated championship (British Drift Championship).

3) Our premier motorsport series (BTCC) is one of the oldest saloon car championships in the world which is actually celebrating 60 years this season and early traces of it are known to exist from 1952 (video linked below).

4) The UK has lots of off-roading areas catering to fans of that. 

5) Nearly every F1 team is based in the UK. 

6) We appreciate classic and vintage cars (video linked below).

7) The UK has some amazing roads (video linked below).

For Point 3...

For point 6...

For point 7...

None of that really applies in video game format or logic. Just because the UK has drifting and BTCC doesn't mean either will be included in the game. I also kind of doubt the amount of "off roading" Horizon 4 is going to have aside from dirt roads and farmlands. I highly doubt there will be anything like Sweet Lamb either.

It's not like Japan doesn't have forests, farmlands, racetracks, etc... It is a fictional video game set in a location, and the first game (whose roads I like the most) was created with the idea and intention of making a game with a location that had the best driving roads in the world. It's just a locale.

Just because Scotland has some "highlands" that I'd consider hills doesn't mean Horizon is going to have good twisty mountain roads, and based on the map they unveiled I'd say they absolutely don't. They kind of transferred from the thrill and experience of driving as fast as possible on tighter twisty fun roads with tons of character to more smooth and sweeping roads to blast down at 240 mph, which I don't personally find all that enthralling. It also makes the slower cars VERY boring.

#Muricaparrotgang

12 hours ago, JZStudios said:

It is a fictional video game set in a location, and the first game (whose roads I like the most) was created with the idea and intention of making a game with a location that had the best driving roads in the world. It's just a locale.

It's more than a 'fictional video game set in a location', it represents the car culture in the said country. If it was to be set in Japan then all they could represent really is drifting because in reality that's what the car culture is like in Japan and that would destroy the Horizon series as it would loose fans who aren't into drifting. The UK in this respect is way better since it's more diverse in it's car culture both in ownership and motorsports. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

8 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

It's more than a 'fictional video game set in a location', it represents the car culture in the said country. If it was to be set in Japan then all they could represent really is drifting because in reality that's what the car culture is like in Japan and that would destroy the Horizon series as it would loose fans who aren't into drifting. The UK in this respect is way better since it's more diverse in it's car culture both in ownership and motorsports. 

Really? because nothing much has changed in terms of... anything since the first game set in Colorado, the second in Italy/France, the Third in Australia and the fourth now in the UK.

I mean, they added actual drift zones (and maybe some events, I didn't play 3) in the games but that's about it. All 3 had off road, all 3 you could drift in, all 3 had a similar car list and events, even the first game had a sort of "playground.. two actually. There was a shipping and receiving area you could hoon around in and the golf course.

You can't tell me that they couldn't do the same thing in Japan. Have a small section of Japan just like Surfers Paradise or whatever in 3 (Maybe a little larger) for the very valid street racing the game really should focus on and drifting. They could do Mt. Fuji to drive up and toss dirt roads along it, it's not that hard to imagine Japan getting a Horizon makeover.

Unless you think that Japan is ONLY mega metropolises and drifting, which is your failing of understanding, not mine.

I'm also going to ignore the "off roading" because driving over empty plains and fields isn't exactly the idea of off roading, nor very fun.

The games are set in locations with good driving roads, and the car culture gets taken to them, otherwise FH2 would've only been Lamborghini, Ferrari, Fiat, Maserati, and Peugot. Maybe a Vespa or two.

#Muricaparrotgang

I think it is kind of strange that we have two consecutive FH games with RHD, and I think the game could have been better located in somewhere like Canada or Scandinavia. I don't have anything wrong with England (or Japan or other RHD nations for that matter), but it just seems weird to have this AAA game not following the most common configuration: drive on the right, sit on the left. I do understand that this is an arcade game, and that following rules doesn't matter at all, but it can still effect how you drive in other video games. England in general, though, I think will be a decent setting. We all know how poorly scaled Forza Horizon maps are, so it doesn't really seem like it would make too much difference where it is located to me.