Best Wifi solution for house with chicken wire in the walls

I live in 1600 square foot bungalow built in the 50s. The walls are unfortunately lath and plaster with chicken wire in them. Because of this wifi signal is a constant issue. Recently i've been looking at the "mesh" wifi systems like the orbi, linksys velop, google wifi, ubiquiti amplifi. What solution should I get?

thanks any help is much appreciated

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Ethernet.

I'm sure he doesn't want to connect a laptop, phone, etc to a rj45

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

if you can get Ethernet to a few rooms, getting some ubiquiti unifi APs would seem like a good idea.

One alternative, possibly, to mesh is using ethernet over powerline and connecting access points to those. Give the age of the house your results may vary on how well that works, can't hurt to test anyway. They're usually around $40 for a pair, and $20 for individuals to expand with in the US.

Problem with mesh is you need just enough strong signal to re-broadcast, like a venn diagram. I a little biased, but I vote for ubiquity.

If your walls are actually filled with wire, I can see why that would be a problem.  It might simply be impossible to find an AP powerful enough to get a good signal throughout the house, or if one does exist, it might be so expensive that it makes my next suggestion seem reasonable.  That is, put a separate AP in every room you want wifi, and cable them all together.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i am open to having an ap in several rooms. But which ubiquiti product should i be looking at exactly? and how would i go about configuring them?

17 hours ago, SquarishBongo said:

i am open to having an ap in several rooms. But which ubiquiti product should i be looking at exactly? and how would i go about configuring them?

If you go with ubiquiti, their Mesh solution would work just fine.

If you go with ethernet over powerline, almost every brand is equal. I'm using TP-Link at home.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

If your walls are actually filled with wire, I can see why that would be a problem.  It might simply be impossible to find an AP powerful enough to get a good signal throughout the house, or if one does exist, it might be so expensive that it makes my next suggestion seem reasonable.  That is, put a separate AP in every room you want wifi, and cable them all together.

piggy backing off this idea I would look at something like this AP 5 pack and you will need POE Injectors. (I haven't used the POE injectors, just a random pack I clicked on at amazon).  Some ubiquiti AP's come with injectors, some don't, this one doesn't.  If you feel confident in running some cat5e or better that sounds like the best solution.

If you don't want to do all of that I would give the amplifi HD a go and see how it does. I swear by that thing as it has fixed every house I've put it in (3 and counting)  Though, it sounds like you have a faraday cage going on so who knows if it's strong enough.

Lastly you could try just one of those AP's and see how well it does, then buy more if you need to.

edit: just be warned that I think you would have seperate wifi networks for each AP.  The ubiquiti AP's are meant for enterprise deployment so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a mesh function on them. I wouldn't know, never had the need for more than one because I'm residential and barely use wifi anyways.  Would be interesting to research though.

edit again: I'm sure you could adapt this to ethernet or search harder for an exact solution.  I haven't watched the whole video

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission