Is gaming more resoultion or FPS

In our newer games which is currently more important to have, resolution or FPS for your game and which should graphics cards be centred around?

It should be both, as well as improved colour gamuts and HDR like Rec.2020 and Rec.2100.

Single player games or multiplayer?

Single player I prefer FPS to match the refresh rate so the highest resolution that allows that

Multiplayer, non competitive, same as single player

Competitive, 1080p, as many frames as possible, turn down settings and such

Depends on you what is more imortant to you?

For me fps is only important in shooting game other than that resolution all the way . I even play fortnite 80 fps average epic setting on 144hz monitor while I can make it 144 if I lowered settings because anything above 60 is ok for me

So for competitve gaming +60 fps max setting possible 

For non competitive any thing above 30 is ok . Well all games I have run 60 on highest setting 1440p

Which should graphics card be centered around? Well, that makes no sense.

Graphics cards have POWER, how you use the power is up to you.

Play in 720p 300fps or 4k 20 fps, it is up to you, not the graphics card.

I personally like constant 60 fps in 1080p with graphical settings that are good (meaning high or medium - since low is usually bad and ultra is just stupid)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

15 minutes ago, MitchellPC said:

In our newer games which is currently more important to have, resolution or FPS for your game and which should graphics cards be centred around?

Subjective. There are people who insist on having a BAJILLION FPS, and there are people for whom it doesn't matter that. I belong in the latter group: I am perfectly fine playing at 60FPS, but I'd definitely love having higher resolution and better colours -- including HDR.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Taja said:

Which should graphics card be centered around? Well, that makes no sense.

Graphics cards have POWER, how you use the power is up to you.

Play in 720p 300fps or 4k 20 fps, it is up to you, not the graphics card.

I personally like constant 60 fps in 1080p with graphical settings that are good (meaning high or medium - since low is usually bad and ultra is just stupid)

I run literally every game i have on all ultra at 1080p 60Hz, with high quality texture filtering as well as supersampling transparency AA in the drivers. I also use the highest quality AA in the game and for games like destiny 2 i put the render resolution to 120% for the effect of reducing blur from SMAA or FXAA.

Please explain why thats stupid? My specs are in my profile.

For more competitive games, FPS is my priority.

For single player games, I want it to look nice and run smooth so a mixture of both.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

my eyes are quite bad so i don't really care about gaming on 720P if i have to, i care more about fps. 

She/Her

FPS and texture quality

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I play offline FPS or RPG games, so I generally prefer resolution. I bought a Dell S2417G 1440p monitor with 144Hz and G-Sync. So I get the best of both worlds. A good 2K monitor with good FPS and the advantage of G-Sync should I not achieve the 144Hz in-game.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

I cry when i see under 75 fps at 1440p with my graphics card, i set fpsmax to 75 in AAA games and lower settings or increase settings till i get a stable 75 fps. Call it ghetto g-sync.

for competive games, im looking for 150 fps 1440p and do the same.

yes

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 hours ago, MitchellPC said:

yes

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I like my games to be super beautiful and will prioritize that over fast response time (so long as response is not ridiculous)

Response time comes into play sometimes. for things like counter strike.. but even then I was more of a casual CS:Go player (I was never really good enough to warrant speedy hardware anyway)

It's really whatever you want... @Dan Castellaneta put it well.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

For console gaming and single player i lean towards resolution. Multiplayer and PC gaming is heavily reliant on FPS.

Edited by RezinKhanz
Inadvertant quote

7 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

I run literally every game i have on all ultra at 1080p 60Hz, with high quality texture filtering as well as supersampling transparency AA in the drivers. I also use the highest quality AA in the game and for games like destiny 2 i put the render resolution to 120% for the effect of reducing blur from SMAA or FXAA.

Please explain why thats stupid? My specs are in my profile.

Well, I find that hard to believe, or else you play a few games that dont give you trouble. Games like deus ex are unplayable on ultra, like many of linus benchmarks shows. Even light games like Vampyr give trouble to a gtx 1070 (personal experience), but I still play it fine with a gtx 960. Even divinity original sin 2 has crazy performance hits with some types of fire effects.

Answearing your question, ultra is stupid because ultra is placebo: most (if not all) ultra settings are identical to very high (or whatevers below ultra is called) but cause MASSIVE performance hits. I have seen multiple side by side comparisons of many different settings, and sometimes I had to be told what to look for since they are so absurdly alike. Yet people treat ultra like its "the dream" - well, its not. Very high is the dream, ultra is just a built in "fps killer".

I only use ultra when playing very old games, because no matter what the framerate will be 60 ALL the time. Else, performance is always preferred for me (even at the cost of visuals). And I get it, some ppl prefer visuals - or want performance WITH the best visuals, and thats fine. The catch is: very high already IS "the best visuals", so buying a more expensive card just to have that placebo "ultra" effect is... Not the best option.

Disclaimer: im not saying EVERY ultra setting is stupid. It depends on the game AND the setting, though mostly they are bad. The preset "ultra" however is absolutely, utterly and irrevocably stupid.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

15 minutes ago, Taja said:

Well, I find that hard to believe, or else you play a few games that dont give you trouble. Games like deus ex are unplayable on ultra, like many of linus benchmarks shows. Even light games like Vampyr give trouble to a gtx 1070 (personal experience), but I still play it fine with a gtx 960. Even divinity original sin 2 has crazy performance hits with some types of fire effects.

Answearing your question, ultra is stupid because ultra is placebo: most (if not all) ultra settings are identical to very high (or whatevers below ultra is called) but cause MASSIVE performance hits. I have seen multiple side by side comparisons of many different settings, and sometimes I had to be told what to look for since they are so absurdly alike. Yet people treat ultra like its "the dream" - well, its not. Very high is the dream, ultra is just a built in "fps killer".

I only use ultra when playing very old games, because no matter what the framerate will be 60 ALL the time. Else, performance is always preferred for me (even at the cost of visuals). And I get it, some ppl prefer visuals - or want performance WITH the best visuals, and thats fine. The catch is: very high already IS "the best visuals", so buying a more expensive card just to have that placebo "ultra" effect is... Not the best option.

Disclaimer: im not saying EVERY ultra setting is stupid. It depends on the game AND the setting, though mostly they are bad. The preset "ultra" however is absolutely, utterly and irrevocably stupid.

I dont use the presets usually because even those dont put things all the way up.

Whats hard to believe about what i said? If you know how to configure things properly its not unplayble. Games like ARK run like garbage no matter what.

My current game of choice is Destiny 2 and as i said, putting it at 120% resolution plus all ultra makes it look better than real life and i occassionally see it drop to 57 fps from in game vsync and driver fast sync(for smoothness).

A lot is trial and error testing as well, but its usually terrible to use the Geforce Experience type automatic BS.

And its not placebo. One of the most noticable differences you can make is to set high quality texture filtering in the drivers. It costs nothing to do in terms of performance on a decent GPU either.

1 minute ago, Amazonsucks said:

Whats hard to believe about what i said? If you know how to configure things properly its not unplayble. Games like ARK run like garbage no matter what.

My current game of choice is Destiny 2 and as i said, putting it at 120% resolution plus all ultra makes it look better than real life and i occassionally see it drop to 57 fps from in game vsync and driver fast sync(for smoothness).

A lot is trial and error testing as well, but its usually terrible to use the Geforce Experience type automatic BS.

Well, thats kind of my point. If you know how to configure stuff, you can get best visuals and performance. Have that 3 settings that eat away 40 fps on ultra, but on very high look INDENTICAL and only eat away 5 fps? Just do it!

Destiny 2 seens to be very well optmized then, but thats why I said its hard to believe: one game is fine, but you said "literally every game". Well, if you literally play 1-3 games that is beliavable.. if not, then its not true. Like I said, even Vampyr causes drops on a gtx 1070. 

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 hour ago, Taja said:

Well, thats kind of my point. If you know how to configure stuff, you can get best visuals and performance. Have that 3 settings that eat away 40 fps on ultra, but on very high look INDENTICAL and only eat away 5 fps? Just do it!

Destiny 2 seens to be very well optmized then, but thats why I said its hard to believe: one game is fine, but you said "literally every game". Well, if you literally play 1-3 games that is beliavable.. if not, then its not true. Like I said, even Vampyr causes drops on a gtx 1070. 

I have a lot of games, and i do play ARK on ultra. Nothing really strikes a balance between high fps and good visuals so i just deal with about 45-55 fps and ultra settings.

FPS > resolution

When my 1080ti was on RMA I had to play RocketLeague on my iGPU. 

I could either settle with 60FPS at 720p or 120FPS at 480p.

I settled at 480p... On a 1440p monitor. It was so much better experience even though the game looked like an absolute turd. I could not even read the player names if they were further away.