The Workstation of the Future is HERE! - Threadripper 2nd Gen

Threadripper 2 is NOT the future… It’s here TODAY. AMD has brought high core counts into the mainstream, and there isn’t an end in sight. Have we entered a new golden age of computing?

Buy an AMD Threadripper 2990WX:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/2LyBVuF
On Newegg: http://geni.us/F1Eq0

Buy an ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/OhCsVN
On Newegg: http://geni.us/wjJBD0

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I need to find me a sugardaddy ASAP.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

tfw you left your headphones at home so you can't watch the review... :(

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

THE WORLD HAS TO KNOW. 100% VOLUME YOUR PHOEN

But... I'm on a 27" iMac at work... I doubt the entire office wants to hear the video too. :dry:

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, VegetableStu said:

emergency meeting!!

(okay I'm being a bit too high from the review unbargo ._. going for a self-imposed timeout now)

Time to convince my bosses that we need a 32c/64t CPU in my PC for uh... faster spreadsheet doing. :ph34r:

Main PC 

The opening was so bad it was funny...

34 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Time to convince my bosses that we need a 32c/64t CPU in my PC for uh... faster spreadsheet doing. :ph34r:

If you manage that, ask for them to double down on your raise too.

I hope this doesn't end up like the Athlon 64 where AMD was the 1st to release a 64 bit CPU and then Intel went meh. Then a few years later release the Core 2 series and curb stomped all over AMD. But I think once Intel irons out the issues with its 10nm process and EUV it'd probably be rushing ahead again. One thing I wish AMD would do instead on ThreadRipper is instead of multiple dies glued onto a single chip was to engineer a single die on a single chip. To me I feel AMD took the lazy way out doing it this way.

@GabenJr

I think the overclocked 2990WX performance was held back by overheating VRM on the Zenith Extreme.

It's not powerful enough to power overclocked 32 core (probably 24 core too) while staying at reasonable temperature.

It could throttle back the CPU performance to stay at the 105°C (i think thats the throttle point for Asus boards).

The little fan kit that Asus supplies is useless, the aluminium brick instead of a heatsink doesn't really care about the small fan.

Overclocking should be tested on the MSI Creation board which has VRM powerful enough to not melt under overclocked 32c.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

that chip would be BIG. and SUPER EXPENSIVE. and HIGHER CHANCE of yield problems o_o

(big like bigger than the 7980XE big)
Intel-Skylake-X-vs-AMD-Ryzen_die-size_02

I much prefer the look and setup of the Intel chips. I also have a feeling in the end that the 28core is going to be the better chip. Better ST, and after overclocking better hyper-threading... I mean it isn't hard to make up for 4 cores when you have 300-400 more Mhz on the other 28. That being said even AMD themselves say the 2990WX is ONLY UP TO 51% faster than the 7980xe (18 core) It should have 77% of the performance of it if it actually scaled correctly core for core.

So stock the 32 core is at 3.4 ghz all core boost for a total theoretical compute power of 108.8 Ghz.

The 28 core intel's boost for all cores is 4ghz which downclocks further to 3.6ghz under AVX loads.

So a 28 core with 4ghz all core boost comes in at 112 ghz total compute power. That is going stock for stock.  Which means the all core boost stock capabilities still over the threadripper multi-thread.

So ultimately the price to performance ratio for AMD is better than intel, but here is something people forget. If you are in a circumstance where you NEED these cpu's and do this type of stuff for business... Then even if you pay twice as much for an intel cpu you will still come out ahead. That is because if you get more productivity from the intel chip you can do more in a given amount of time which has a increase in your profit differential. So you will eventually pay yourself back in a year or less and then everything after that is a pure win in profit over the amd solution.

5 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I was expecting LTT of all people to do some crazy ultra megatasking tesing

Rendering 4K with Premiere, while encoding with handbrake, while streaming to twitch or something.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Old Linus came from a wolrd where Core2 and Phenom x4 quad-core processors ... and in 10 years since then the situation changed a lot.

Shame you COULDN'T say that 12 months ago before Ryzen hit the market.
... did not upgrade my Q9550 for another quad-core past years
... after ~11years will buy i9-9900k in october
... and then continue be a salty fa**ot for another 11years :(

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

that chip would be BIG. and SUPER EXPENSIVE. and HIGHER CHANCE of yield problems o_o

(big like bigger than the 7980XE big)
Intel-Skylake-X-vs-AMD-Ryzen_die-size_02

That's cute except AMD needs to show that their "actual" space occupied is probably 4x as much since it's 4 discrete chips on substrate.  This bullshit image implies it's a monolithic die, when it isn't.  And rehashing an old argument, but if you run Epyc dual socket you start getting into like 16 NUMA domains or some shit with the CCX's x2 x4 chips x2 sockets.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Also one thing I am curious to see more tests on is the fact that 16 of the 32 cores on the threadripper are unable to communicate with the PCIe bus and memory. All the cores can communicate with each other... so I guess in theory they can access those items, but it will be passed on from the other 16 cores to those cores? How is that going to affect latency and performance moving forward.

The 2990WX, though, is slightly different. While all dies can still communicate with each other, the two extra dies and 16 of the total 32 cores, cannot directly access the PCIe bus and memory.

The above is from https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2018/08/13/amd-32-core-threadripper-2990wx-and-16-core-2950x-reviews-most-powerful-ever-desktop-processors/#3884e6247049

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

I much prefer the look and setup of the Intel chips. I also have a feeling in the end that the 28core is going to be the better chip. Better ST, and after overclocking better hyper-threading... I mean it isn't hard to make up for 4 cores when you have 300-400 more Mhz on the other 28. That being said even AMD themselves say the 2990WX is ONLY UP TO 51% faster than the 7980xe (18 core) It should have 77% of the performance of it if it actually scaled correctly core for core.

So stock the 32 core is at 3.4 ghz all core boost for a total theoretical compute power of 108.8 Ghz.

The 28 core intel's boost for all cores is 4ghz which downclocks further to 3.6ghz under AVX loads.

So a 28 core with 4ghz all core boost comes in at 112 ghz total compute power. That is going stock for stock.  Which means the all core boost stock capabilities still over the threadripper multi-thread.

So ultimately the price to performance ratio for AMD is better than intel, but here is something people forget. If you are in a circumstance where you NEED these cpu's and do this type of stuff for business... Then even if you pay twice as much for an intel cpu you will still come out ahead. That is because if you get more productivity from the intel chip you can do more in a given amount of time which has a increase in your profit differential. So you will eventually pay yourself back in a year or less and then everything after that is a pure win in profit over the amd solution.

Also the way I look at it, ThreadRipper is essentially 2 Processors combined to fit a single socket. So I would like to see how well a ThreadRipper compares to Dual Proccessor Xeon equivalent. Since Windows 10 Pro does support multi processors I wonder how that will stack to a Threadripper for the high end workstations.

40 minutes ago, jtsoi said:

Also the way I look at it, ThreadRipper is essentially 2 Processors combined to fit a single socket. So I would like to see how well a ThreadRipper compares to Dual Proccessor Xeon equivalent. Since Windows 10 Pro does support multi processors I wonder how that will stack to a Threadripper for the high end workstations.

That is pretty straight forward. It wouldn't, but it would be a much more affordable option too. So threadripper would be cheaper, dual xeons faster.

tfw you were thinking about getting a 1950X

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 hours ago, jtsoi said:

I don't get this train of thought one bit?  Then TR is actually 4 CPUs right? :)       

Also, mentionening Xeons?  You do realize that dual CPU Epyc motherboards actually cost in the same ballpark as X399.  You actually can build a dual 32C64T beast for 5.000 USD then. 

The "million" dollar question is how much will the Intel offering cost (not to cannibalize their Xeon market) and also.  Seeing that the 7980XE is helluva more thermally challenged how it will scale to 28 cores in reality.  

I use a couple of R7 1700 PCs and V-Ray which distributes the loads over the network to them.  For this. This 32C beast would be money well spent actually (and I don't care 1 percent about other use cases). 

My only mistake was thinking that they will save the 32C chip for 7nm next year.  So I will probably wait for ~Black Friday / Cyber Monday this year and jump at least the platform gun. 

55 minutes ago, MadDuke said:

I don't get this train of thought one bit?  Then TR is actually 4 CPUs right? :)       

Also, mentionening Xeons?  You do realize that dual CPU Epyc motherboards actually cost in the same ballpark as X399.  You actually can build a dual 32C64T beast for 5.000 USD then. 

The "million" dollar question is how much will the Intel offering cost (not to cannibalize their Xeon market) and also.  Seeing that the 7980XE is helluva more thermally challenged how it will scale to 28 cores in reality.  

I use a couple of R7 1700 PCs and V-Ray which distributes the loads over the network to them.  For this. This 32C beast would be money well spent actually (and I don't care 1 percent about other use cases). 

My only mistake was thinking that they will save the 32C chip for 7nm next year.  So I will probably wait for ~Black Friday / Cyber Monday this year and jump at least the platform gun. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see intel rush out the 10nm process earlier than expected. Their current problem is just low yields currently so they are trying to refine the process to get cost down. That being said if they can dedicate the man power they might make a breakthrough because we all know the numbers they give are just estimates. A 10nm die shrink would drop their power consumptions, give them more OC headroom (yay 5.5ghz+ oc's?), increase stock and turbo boosts, provide them more space for additional cores, and lastly reduce thermal output.

I mean even as it is now the stock intel 28 core vs stock 32 core threadripper 2... the intel comes out ahead in both single and multi-threaded tasks. The win here for AMD is going to be the price point. I full expect the intel 28 core to be 2999 or 3499. That being said it would still be a steal for what you get. 

4 hours ago, MadDuke said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that AMD essentially took 2x Ryzen 7 chips interconnected the two with their infinity fabric and combined everything into single socket and branded the whole thing ThreadRipper. That's how they managed to get the higher advertised PCI lane counts since each chip provides half the lanes for the total count, like what be achieved in multi-processor system. So if you look at it this way, Threadripper is essentially 2 CPUs in a single socket form factor. I would like to see how this would compare to a 2x Xeon setup in terms of cost to performance and productivity. Sorta like was featured in Scrapyard Wars 7, Linus built a system that was over twice as expensive as Luke but price to performance was almost the same so if also take into account the ROI in terms of productivity gained from the higher performance system and productivity you can get out of the higher cost system you will may make it all back and them some over the life of that system compared to cheaper one. I'm pretty sure Linus has enough Xeon on his shelf to build a MP workstations with a similar core count to do the testing. If not, he could probably convince Intel to send him a couple to do the testing.

8 gamers 1 CPU is finally a reality on a consumer chip with two dummy dies. You guys should build an epic server when they ship EPYC 2.

64 cores and 128 threads. Per socket.

On 2018-08-14 at 9:37 AM, jtsoi said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that AMD essentially took 2x Ryzen 7 chips interconnected the two with their infinity fabric and combined everything into single socket and branded the whole thing ThreadRipper. That's how they managed to get the higher advertised PCI lane counts since each chip provides half the lanes for the total count, like what be achieved in multi-processor system. So if you look at it this way, Threadripper is essentially 2 CPUs in a single socket form factor. I would like to see how this would compare to a 2x Xeon setup in terms of cost to performance and productivity. Sorta like was featured in Scrapyard Wars 7, Linus built a system that was over twice as expensive as Luke but price to performance was almost the same so if also take into account the ROI in terms of productivity gained from the higher performance system and productivity you can get out of the higher cost system you will may make it all back and them some over the life of that system compared to cheaper one. I'm pretty sure Linus has enough Xeon on his shelf to build a MP workstations with a similar core count to do the testing. If not, he could probably convince Intel to send him a couple to do the testing.

And Ryzen 7 is basically 2x Ryzen 3 chips glued together, if I remember right. That's the advantage of their Infinity Fabric.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

this is a cool idea but not practical in life, at least yet. i see someday in the future need a chip like this though. i find it funny that Intel's answer to AMD's Threadripper v1 was a i9 with 2 more cores. now AMD's threadripper v2 cost the same as the Intel i9 but blows it out of the water. but i very curious how blue and red will battle this out. nice thing is these battles improve products for consumers with a lot better pricing if only one company was making high end chips. so with the two trying to out do each other the consumer wins.

any planned videos for threadripper 2 + RTX 2080 Ti ?