AMD unveils new Radeon Pro Card

GOTSpectrum

if this is indeed using 2.4gbps vram it would be cool if anyone tried to oc it, though samsungs aquabolt probab.y clocks better

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

if this is indeed using 2.4gbps vram it would be cool if anyone tried to oc it, though samsungs aquabolt probab.y clocks better

Seen some discussion that suggest those modules probably get all of the benefits any memory OC can provide with the Architecture. 

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Seen some discussion that suggest those modules probably get all of the benefits any memory OC can provide with the Architecture. 

if they are running at 2.4 gbps then probably yes, but they might not as someone said before. though the overclocking part was mostly because i love to know how far things can be pushed 

Just now, cj09beira said:

if they are running at 2.4 gbps then probably yes, but they might not as someone said before. though the overclocking part was mostly because i love to know how far things can be pushed 

I'd still love to know what the strange bottleneck seems to be within Vega, but I have a feeling some AMD Engineers were in the same place a few years ago after they taped it out.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'd still love to know what the strange bottleneck seems to be within Vega, but I have a feeling some AMD Engineers were in the same place a few years ago after they taped it out.

maybe IF in not good enough and might have added some latency where it makes a big difference

24 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

maybe IF in not good enough and might have added some latency where it makes a big difference

I've seen a few high level discussions of it, and it really comes down to limitations of the GCN structure. Though it gets a lot more complicated than that, obviously. 

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

The memory will at least hit 2.4Gbps with overclocking as that’s what it’s rated for, how far past that is lottery.

If what you're saying is true why would AMD not clock it at 2.4? Either they're crippling it deliberately or SK Hynix is. 

Granted, AMD has no intention of bumping clocks on older products so the disparity would be pretty big between Vega products but if I recall memory manufacturers do sell different SKUs with different speeds in order to have different price points just like anything else.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

If what you're saying is true why would AMD not clock it at 2.4? Either they're crippling it deliberately or SK Hynix is. 

It could be for any number of reasons, power, reliability, heat, some kind of limitation in vega we don't know about etc etc

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

It could be for any number of reasons, power, reliability, heat, some kind of limitation in vega we don't know about etc etc

even though most of a hbm memory controller is in the memory chips part of it is still in the silicon, so there is a good chance that vega 10 simply cant coupe with the the added bandwidth without memory errors

10 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Granted, AMD has no intention of bumping clocks on older products so the disparity would be pretty big between Vega products but if I recall memory manufacturers do sell different SKUs with different speeds in order to have different price points just like anything else.

They wont clock it that high because it'll eat too much in to their higher tier card.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13210/amd-announces-radeon-pro-wx-8200

"AMD for their part isn’t drawing a whole lot of attention to the matter. But when poked about it, they’re mentioning that the WX 8200 is using SK Hynix’s “Gen 2” HBM2, which unveiled earlier this year, offers memory speeds up to 2.4Gbps."

17 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

They wont clock it that high because it'll eat too much in to their higher tier card.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13210/amd-announces-radeon-pro-wx-8200

"AMD for their part isn’t drawing a whole lot of attention to the matter. But when poked about it, they’re mentioning that the WX 8200 is using SK Hynix’s “Gen 2” HBM2, which unveiled earlier this year, offers memory speeds up to 2.4Gbps."

"Up to" being the keyword. GDDR5X goes up to 14 Gbps but we all saw how that went.

I'm not saying you can't OC many or all of them to go way beyond 2 Gbps but I'm skeptical of the notion you'll be able to take any card and just OC it to 2.4 as it it was artificially limited across the board.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

"Up to" being the keyword. GDDR5X goes up to 14 Gbps but we all saw how that went.

I'm not saying you can't OC many or all of them to go way beyond 2 Gbps but I'm skeptical of the notion you'll be able to take any card and just OC it to 2.4 as it it was artificially limited across the board.

The difference is the GDDR5X JEDEC specification is up to 14Gbps (actual 10-14Gbps), whereas this is the actual HBM2 product being designed for 2.4Gbps.

Just now, schwellmo92 said:

The difference is the GDDR5X JEDEC specification is up to 14Gbps (actual 10-14Gbps), whereas this is the actual HBM2 product being designed for 2.4Gbps.

And first gen HBM2 was designed for 2 Gbps; yet none of the graphics cards I'm aware of hit that target until now with second gen.

"A number of software partners - from Autodesk to Adobe - ... "

Someone really needs to learn their alphabet.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

And first gen HBM2 was designed for 2 Gbps; yet none of the graphics cards I'm aware of hit that target until now with second gen.

You’re misunderstanding the difference between the HBM2 products specification and what AMD/AIB’s implemented it as. All 2Gbps HBM2 can run at 2Gbps, if AMD/AIB’s run it out of the box at a lower frequency that’s completely up to them.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

You’re misunderstanding the difference between the HBM2 products specification and what AMD/AIB’s implemented it as. All 2Gbps HBM2 can run at 2Gbps, if AMD/AIB’s run it out of the box at a lower frequency that’s completely up to them.

You think AMD implemented HBM2 at 1.89 Gbps for funsies? Seems quite arbitrary. Not to mention it making their card look silly when it has lower memory bandwidth than Fiji.

No, it's more likely that the memory couldn't consistently hit 2 Gbps at the time and only later improved but by then it's too late to change unless you want a PR problem.

Of course if you have a source to explain the deliberate underclocking of HBM2 then I'm all ears but the Anandtech article on Vega says HBM2 didn't reach its intended speed. Figured I might as well put it out there preemptively.

Just slightly under the 9100 in performance but under half the price(The 9100 is at 2199 USD MSRP right now I believe).

Should be a nice price point.

So this card would have applications in networking virtualization? Any other applications for the virtualization specifically of this card?

13 hours ago, timl132 said:

I think this could be a pretty good card, in the benchmarks of the vega 64 and such, it was already seen that these cards perform good at things like cad and rendering.

And you don't necessarily need CUDA cores if the app supports OpenCL too, an most do.

AMD has a CUDA Wrapper or works on it. So that isn't really a problem...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Neat, but get back to me when they have something that performs north of the 1080 Ti for a reasonable price

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

7 hours ago, Trixanity said:

You think AMD implemented HBM2 at 1.89 Gbps for funsies? Seems quite arbitrary. Not to mention it making their card look silly when it has lower memory bandwidth than Fiji.

No, it's more likely that the memory couldn't consistently hit 2 Gbps at the time and only later improved but by then it's too late to change unless you want a PR problem.

Of course if you have a source to explain the deliberate underclocking of HBM2 then I'm all ears but the Anandtech article on Vega says HBM2 didn't reach its intended speed. Figured I might as well put it out there preemptively.

That HBM2 was 1.6Gbps product from Hynix, that’s why it was implemented at 1.89Gbps not 2Gbps..

6 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

That HBM2 was 1.6Gbps product from Hynix, that’s why it was implemented at 1.89Gbps not 2Gbps..

So you're saying Anandtech is wrong? Got any evidence?

Edit: just to clarify

Do you have evidence that current graphics cards used the lower SKU and why would they do that beyond a yield or price reason (or both)? It's poor marketing so there had to be a pretty good reason to lose memory bandwidth.

What evidence do you have that there aren't multiple SKUs in this new generation of memory (I know Samsung has only published one but this isn't Samsung) and why would they presumably pay extra money when it would make sense for 2 Gbps to be cheaper unless the yields are somehow better on 2.4 Gbps SKUs and are therefore cheaper? 

Something doesn't add up. That's all I'm saying.

44 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

So you're saying Anandtech is wrong? Got any evidence?

Edit: just to clarify

Do you have evidence that current graphics cards used the lower SKU and why would they do that beyond a yield or price reason (or both)? It's poor marketing so there had to be a pretty good reason to lose memory bandwidth.

What evidence do you have that there aren't multiple SKUs in this new generation of memory (I know Samsung has only published one but this isn't Samsung) and why would they presumably pay extra money when it would make sense for 2 Gbps to be cheaper unless the yields are somehow better on 2.4 Gbps SKUs and are therefore cheaper? 

Something doesn't add up. That's all I'm saying.

The RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 used SK Hynix 1.6Gbps 1.2v HBM2, this new WX 8200 uses SK Hynix 2.4Gbps 1.2v HBM2. The SK Hynix 2Gbps product that they had slated for RX Vega wasn't ready in time and instead all SK Hynix had to offer was 1.6Gbps (which is what Vega 56 runs at) and for Vega 64 they pushed more voltage in to the HBM2 to get the faster 1.89Gbps speeds (that's why people flash the 64 bios - it allows for higher HBM2 voltage). As to why the WX 8200 uses the 2.4Gbps chips, I have no idea, but I can tell you they aren't clocked at 2.4Gbps out of the box because that would cause some pressure on their more expensive WX 9100 SKU which is already only marginally faster than the WX 8200 SKU.

This is all common knowledge you can find with a quick Google, so instead of arguing with do your own research and you'll find everything I am telling you is correct.

58 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

The RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 used SK Hynix 1.6Gbps 1.2v HBM2, this new WX 8200 uses SK Hynix 2.4Gbps 1.2v HBM2. The SK Hynix 2Gbps product that they had slated for RX Vega wasn't ready in time and instead all SK Hynix had to offer was 1.6Gbps (which is what Vega 56 runs at) and for Vega 64 they pushed more voltage in to the HBM2 to get the faster 1.89Gbps speeds (that's why people flash the 64 bios - it allows for higher HBM2 voltage). As to why the WX 8200 uses the 2.4Gbps chips, I have no idea, but I can tell you they aren't clocked at 2.4Gbps out of the box because that would cause some pressure on their more expensive WX 9100 SKU which is already only marginally faster than the WX 8200 SKU.

This is all common knowledge you can find with a quick Google, so instead of arguing with do your own research and you'll find everything I am telling you is correct.

'Do your own research' is probably the worst argument possible. It's used by flat earthers and anti vaxxers alike. Doesn't really help your case. I simply asked for documentation of some kind.

Some of your arguments make sense but some seem to be assumptions with no reasoning behind it except that it just is. That's why I'm not simply saying 'okay' and moving on.