Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RedShank

4G LTE Module

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

What does 4G LTE Module do on a laptop?

I am trying to custom build laptop it have  the option to add Huawei ME936 4G Module

1. So what is it?

 

2. Are there any better than this module? better speed and config

 

3. Will there still be a spot for Killer 1550 + BT 5.0?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's used for internet access. Just like having it on your phone.


CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

 

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

 

Networking gear:  Dell OptiPlex 390 Domain Controller | Dell PowerEdge R210 II Exchange 2016 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically its a M.2 or miniPCI-E card that, attached to appropriate antennas in the laptop, allows your computer to get onto 4G (and perhaps even 3G) networks.  You will need a SIM card from an appropriate carrier.

 

I personally use the Sierra Wireless modules, rather than Huawei.  Don't know if there's any differences in performance.  

 

The best modules implement LTE-DC, for potentially 200mbit/sec bandwidth on a supported network. 

 

The WWAN cards are installed in a separate slot, so there's still space for a WLAN board such as the Killer that you describe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

Basically its a M.2 or miniPCI-E card that, attached to appropriate antennas in the laptop, allows your computer to get onto 4G (and perhaps even 3G) networks.  You will need a SIM card from an appropriate carrier.

 

I personally use the Sierra Wireless modules, rather than Huawei.  Don't know if there's any differences in performance.  

 

The best modules implement LTE-DC, for potentially 200mbit/sec bandwidth on a supported network. 

 

The WWAN cards are installed in a separate slot, so there's still space for a WLAN board such as the Killer that you describe.

So do we need a carrier for that? SIM CARD?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedShank said:

So do we need a carrier for that? SIM CARD?

Of course, just like any other 4G device that you want to connect to a network.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Mark77 said:

Of course, just like any other 4G device that you want to connect to a network.  

Will there be any slot left for WIFI Module?

And a silly question, do we have to put the card in the module? I dont know anything about it SORRY

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedShank said:

Will there be any slot left for WIFI Module?

And a silly question, do we have to put the card in the module? I dont know anything about it SORRY

Most business-grade laptops have 2 slots.  One for WLAN, ie: WiFi cards, and a second one for WWAN like those 4G cards.  

 

So it depends upon the machine you're using.  Remember that a SIM card slot has to be available as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Mark77 said:

Most business-grade laptops have 2 slots.  One for WLAN, ie: WiFi cards, and a second one for WWAN like those 4G cards.  

 

So it depends upon the machine you're using.  Remember that a SIM card slot has to be available as well.

Machine is Clevo P775TM1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×