Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xWood4000

Reason for not buying PC instead of prebuilt NAS

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Why would you buy a prebuilt NAS instead of a PC with ECC RAM and good hardrives?

 

It can also double as a processing server if you want but a prebuilt NAS isn't upgradable.

 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, a prebuilt nas is, prebuilt. So you don't need to build it yourself.

Software is there, hardware is there, just pop in some harddrives, some quick configuring and off you go.

 

I prefer going the DIY route but that's just not for everybody.


If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, xWood4000 said:

Why would you buy a prebuilt NAS instead of a PC with ECC RAM and good hardrives?

 

It can also double as a processing server if you want but a prebuilt NAS isn't upgradable.

 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

also if something goes wrong in the building process that is on you where as a prebuilt NAS System its on the company. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, samcool55 said:

Well, a prebuilt nas is, prebuilt. So you don't need to build it yourself.

Software is there, hardware is there, just pop in some harddrives, some quick configuring and off you go.

 

I prefer going the DIY route but that's just not for everybody.

But some Tech Youtubers have NASes instead of PCs, even GN had one until recently. They are definitely enthusiasts that probably enjoy building computers and they can make content out of it too. Is it that they don't have time? Hmm...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xWood4000 said:

But some Tech Youtubers have NASes instead of PCs, even GN had one until recently. They are definitely enthusiasts that probably enjoy building computers and they can make content out of it too. Is it that they don't have time? Hmm...

they could have been sponsored by someone and received it through them (like origin gaming towers, they give them to a few different users prebuilt)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, WickedStarfish said:

also if something goes wrong in the building process that is on you where as a prebuilt NAS System its on the company. 

 

Is that a real concern? I haven't destroyed any computers (yet) so is it likely to do that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, WickedStarfish said:

they could have been sponsored by someone and received it through them (like origin gaming towers, they give them to a few different users prebuilt)

That's logical. I haven't seen that many sponsored NAS videos though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xWood4000 said:

Is that a real concern? I haven't destroyed any computers (yet) so is it likely to do that? 

neither have i but prebuilt is still a option for me to go down which takes the hassle out of everything. I'm still on the verge of deciding if i go prebuilt or build for my nas setup, and my next desktop might be a prebuilt only due to the fact that a custom loop seems quite difficult especially when you add a loop for the GPU

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xWood4000 said:

That's logical. I haven't seen that many sponsored NAS videos though.

It might just be sponsored by say seagate and in the terms and conditions they state that its to only go in "this system" or "in one of these systems"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, WickedStarfish said:

 and my next desktop might be a prebuilt only due to the fact that a custom loop seems quite difficult especially when you add a loop for the GPU

Yeah custom loops do seem difficult, I would enjoy the challenge though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, WickedStarfish said:

It might just be sponsored by say seagate and in the terms and conditions they state that its to only go in "this system" or "in one of these systems"

True. Thank you for your activity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Support and ease of use.

 

I just deplyed a synology at work as a offside backup. I don't want a diy solution i have to explain to the next guy how I set it up. The synology also has a nice remote access program. Yea you can run xpenology, but I don't want updates to brick the system.

 

Also the premade nases are supported in case of a failure, the diy boxes you get to fix.

 

Also power consumption. A premade nas uses less power than most diy builds, and that can add up to 100+ usd a year.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

 I don't want a diy solution i have to explain to the next guy how I set it up.

That's true, it's easier to explain to other people.

Quote

Yea you can run xpenology, but I don't want updates to brick the system.

Why would the updates brick the system? The community probably patches it pretty fast. I've also heard of FreeNAS but don't know that much about it.

 

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also power consumption. A premade nas uses less power than most diy builds, and that can add up to 100+ usd a year.

Why? If you underclock and have a really good PSU it can't be impossible to achieve the same or better power consumption. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the same reason people go to best buy or PC world and buy a desktop computer there. Most people aren't comfortable building their own systems and buying pre-built usually comes with some sort of support system as well as a single place to return the hardware if there is a fault or dealing with warranty etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, jkirkcaldy said:

the same reason people go to best buy or PC world and buy a desktop computer there. Most people aren't comfortable building their own systems and buying pre-built usually comes with some sort of support system as well as a single place to return the hardware if there is a fault or dealing with warranty etc. 

I understand that normal people do that but it seems like some computer enthusiasts also do that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xWood4000 said:

Why would the updates brick the system? The community probably patches it pretty fast. I've also heard of FreeNAS but don't know that much about it.

xpenology is a very hacky nas os. Its basically running synology code on a custom bootloader. You don't just update it.

 

6 hours ago, xWood4000 said:

Why? If you underclock and have a really good PSU it can't be impossible to achieve the same or better power consumption. 

Underclocking doesn't realy help as the chips already do that. They also turn off the cores when idle with c states. Its mainly that premade nas boxes use much more efficent small psus(like 75w or less) and they use atom chips with a tdp of like 6w. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
56 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

. Its mainly that premade nas boxes use much more efficent small psus(like 75w or less) and they use atom chips with a tdp of like 6w. 

Oh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you and thank you to all that have answered.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Space can also be a consideration. a QNAP or Synology NAS is generally only a big larger than the hard drives you put in it, as all the rest of the components are designed with the end goal of a NAS in mind. There isn't a motherboard with extra expansion slots you don't need taking up space for example.

 

In general, a prebuilt NAS is good because it's purpose designed to be a NAS. You trade flexibility for being very good at what it needs to do (i.e, be a NAS) without any superfluous functionality. It will be small, quiet, and power efficient relative to a regular PC. I would say that most people want their NAS to be mostly out of sight and out of mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, ImpulseRez said:

Space can also be a consideration. a QNAP or Synology NAS is generally only a big larger than the hard drives you put in it, as all the rest of the components are designed with the end goal of a NAS in mind. There isn't a motherboard with extra expansion slots you don't need taking up space for example.

 

In general, a prebuilt NAS is good because it's purpose designed to be a NAS. You trade flexibility for being very good at what it needs to do (i.e, be a NAS) without any superfluous functionality. It will be small, quiet, and power efficient relative to a regular PC. I would say that most people want their NAS to be mostly out of sight and out of mind.

Wouldn't a Mini-ITX computer do the same? Of course as all of you have said, it's not as much hassle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, xWood4000 said:

Wouldn't a Mini-ITX computer do the same? Of course as all of you have said, it's not as much hassle.

It's still going to take up more space than a NAS for the same amount of hard drives. Not to mention that finding a Mini-ITX case with e.g. 4 hard drives can be difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 minutes ago, ImpulseRez said:

It's still going to take up more space than a NAS for the same amount of hard drives. Not to mention that finding a Mini-ITX case with e.g. 4 hard drives can be difficult.

Yeah, that can be difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it was time, form factor, warranty, reliability, etc.

 

I LOVE custom building. All of my desktops are built by me. I used FreeNAS for a few years. Wanted something smaller and something I could mess with less. That sounds counter-intuitive, but when I can touch something... I do. It was a big ole tower server. I looked at building mini ITX, but by the time I came up with something I wanted, QNAP already did it and in a smaller footprint. I ended up with two NASes (one is even Ryzen based). 14 8TB HDDs, 6TBs of SSD for cache, 10 gigabit and Ethernet. QNAP's software is pretty nice as well and most things they don't have first party, someone has made or it's not too hard to port.

 

3P7A7421-Edit-Edit.thumb.jpg.759870b23a663342ae4be31aa87737e3.jpg3P7A7472-Edit.thumb.jpg.ea80f2fd8104f61d71ddbf9ad3b9b5b3.jpg5b74896100e37_3P7A7489-Copy.thumb.jpg.b9babe74f3b253dc6d43a9cdcdd4636e.jpg3P7A7426.thumb.jpg.1ab22f6e94357dd8b29e2d3642ea9690.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get an old tower pc add some drives and install unRAID very flexible, expandable, lightweight os option to run VM's plex and dockers also has a very intuitive GUI you can load the os for free and run the full version for 30 days to see if it fits your use case without any commitment 

 


My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

 

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

 

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

 

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.7.0 rc4 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

 

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.7.0 rc4 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 8/15/2018 at 11:15 PM, Densetsu said:

For me it was time, form factor, warranty, reliability, etc.

 

I LOVE custom building. All of my desktops are built by me. I used FreeNAS for a few years. Wanted something smaller and something I could mess with less. That sounds counter-intuitive, but when I can touch something... I do. It was a big ole tower server. I looked at building mini ITX, but by the time I came up with something I wanted, QNAP already did it and in a smaller footprint. I ended up with two NASes (one is even Ryzen based). 14 8TB HDDs, 6TBs of SSD for cache, 10 gigabit and Ethernet. QNAP's software is pretty nice as well and most things they don't have first party, someone has made or it's not too hard to port.

 

3P7A7421-Edit-Edit.thumb.jpg.759870b23a663342ae4be31aa87737e3.jpg3P7A7472-Edit.thumb.jpg.ea80f2fd8104f61d71ddbf9ad3b9b5b3.jpg5b74896100e37_3P7A7489-Copy.thumb.jpg.b9babe74f3b253dc6d43a9cdcdd4636e.jpg3P7A7426.thumb.jpg.1ab22f6e94357dd8b29e2d3642ea9690.jpg

That's a really nice product. I think that a custom-built would be cheaper though, even with 10Gb. You wouldn't get the software or compactness though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 8/16/2018 at 1:48 AM, mrbilky said:

Get an old tower pc add some drives and install unRAID very flexible, expandable, lightweight os option to run VM's plex and dockers also has a very intuitive GUI you can load the os for free and run the full version for 30 days to see if it fits your use case without any commitment 

 

That seems like a good method, you just have to make sure that it supports all the features you may want like 10Gb/s ethernet and fast SATA. I actually have an old workstation as my photo+video archive right now (smallish form factor) with fedora so using that software could level up my game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×