Replacement choice

NovusBal

Hello folks,

So unfortunately my poor LG G4 has broken on me, and i'm currently looking for a replacement.

I did like the phone and although it could be slow at some points (Struggled to load hearthstone), it was a decent phone to be using from my experience with it.

Right now i'm looking for a replacement, i'm prioritizing something in a budget cost of £200-350 or so, although there's always that little temptation to buy the OnePlus 6 if I should justify it's cost.

If anyone has recommendations i'd appreciate them as I do need to get one fairly quick, as it's used heavily for work.

Quick addition: Was looking at the Moto G6 Plus but in some comparisons it seems odd, larger screen lower resolution, but is the resolution really a big issue these days?

Resolution is fine, as long it's 1080p. Stick away from cheaper models with 720p Screen^^ Oneplus 6 also has 1080p at 6,3" (401 ppi)

However, if you tempt to buy the OP6, just go for it ^^

Maybe, from Gearbest (if it doesn't need to be directly vom OP or Amazon): https://de.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009356291241.html?wid=1349303

it's a good Price there - but don't ask me how Tax will work out.

Otherwise.. Nokia 7 Plus is a very solid midrange smartphone, and thanks to AndroidOne, fast updates for the next 2-3 years (2 years version updates, 3 years security).

Honor 10 is a good alternative. It offers features like a better camera etc, while the Nokia 7 plus has other perks, like faster updates, slightly faster performance if i'm righ (thanks to vanilla android UI).

Nokia 7 Plus also has a better batterylife thanks to a huge 3800 mAh Battery.

Back to OP6: 

Why would it be worth justifying it's cost. Well, it's a "flaggship". It offers not just better performance than the other Budget phones, thanks to snapdragon 845, 6gb Ram (8gb with 128/256gb storage) and fast UFS 2.1 Storage chips.. But also it is pretty much THE fastest smartphone right now. snappy animations, clean UI with alot of features, personalization, but still "vanilla android".

Higher performance now = same performance as midrange stuff in 2 years. You will be able to use it far longer, because the higher performance gives you a higher headroom.

Of course, if you care about the performanec differences (many don't care if they wait half a second longer, or if it's slightly less smooth etc).

Take your Heartstone as an example. In 2 years, or maybe 3 years, a OP6 will still have much more performance left for games like that or future games, than today's midrange phones).

And Oneplus promises 2 years featureupdates, and 3 years security patches.

Even more, the now over 2 year old Oneplus 3 will most likely get Android 9 Pie (they skiped 8.1 update for 9), which means, the OP3 will be getting it's third major Update, which is VERY Rare for every Android smartphone. Even for Nexus devices or Android One.

Also, stuff like better camera, the incredibly fast Dash Charge (30 minutes for 64%, 60 minutes for 90%), very sleek design, very good XDA community support (rooting, custom roms, etc etc).

Still, very nice value from midrange phones tho, since they are just a bit slower, but can still get stuff done. it's about your preferences^^

i personally would go for the OP6, or maybe Xiaomi Mi 8.

Also, Xiaomi has incredibly good midrange phones. Xiaomi Note 5 lineup is great for example.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/08/2018 at 7:28 PM, Darkseth said:

sniiiiip

Delayed response, apologies.

Yeah the OnePlus is just slightly outta the budget here unfortunately, i'm currently looking between the honor 10(non-view) and the mate 10 pro. 

The thing that puts me off the mate 10 is simply the lack of a headphone jack, I know you can get a splitter for it to accept both a headphone jack and the power cable, but that just seems like an annoyance to me.

Seeing the honor 10 for £330 and the mate 10 pro for £399 most areas, I may settle on the honor 10 unless if i've missed an better alternative somewhere

@Darkseth

Depends if you ever use headphones + charging at the same time. i've never before (but better have the option, than need it, right?!)

Honor 10 is a very solid Phone, with also a very solid Camera + Performance for that price. 

But going from a near-stock Experience like Oxygen-OS to a quite heavy Skin like EMUI from Huawei might be a shock. Before you buy, you should really play around with it for 1 or 2 dozen minutes, to get a feel for the usage, if you can get along with that.