Scrapyard Wars 7 FINALE - NO INTERNET

jakkuh_t

Tbh, I'd called this a tie.

Looking at the numbers and formula used, Luke won by literally $1.38. Alternatively, Linus would've needed less than 2 FPS more in Fortnite (or Luke could've gotten less than 1 FPS lower).

This is well within the fairly unavoidable variation in between individual runs, especially for a game that can get a bunch of variance between individual runs.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

If one system smoked the other in the final score it would be fine but with such close call (basically margin of error) a good sport would realize that the incredibly unscientific Fortnite FPS measurement would need to be replaced for something steadier, like a game with built-in benchmarking tool. 

Luke didn't have Linus' char on his screen for over a minute before Linus realized whats going on. Ofc. Linus couldn't raise that issue without sounding petty so I blame that on Luke :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the price of the map that Linus bought supposed to count towards the overall price?

if they played at a higher resolution, Linus would have won

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

My opinion, feel free to skip, tldr at bottom

I feel like this was one of the worse outcomes for scrapwayrd wars so far, only coming second to the one with the RGB factor or the one with case design in mind...

Looking at the calculations and making assumptions where appropriate, Linus "lost" by $1.38 cad which makes sense, sure, luke saved money and won by a hair, if he hadn't sold the bag of tech he would have lost

But looking at the Fortnite benchmark in particular... Btw can I just say that that's a bit of a joke of a benchmark... At least use a game with a built in benchmark then say if Fortnite is smooth.. Regardless of how bad a benchmark it is:

Luke "won" by Less than 1 FPS or Linus "lost" by Less than 2 FPS this is the best example anyone could give of run to run variance, this is why averages exist.

I get it's not meant to be super serious but when the final score is a 0.1 difference at least try to step up the accuracy or declare it a draw

TL:DR Luke's "win" was won almost entirely on a margin of error which could have been caused by Linus doing 360's on his Fortnite descent or that he had Lukes model loaded for ~10 seconds longer.

Guys,

That was a good season, however I would love to see a return to the modding seasons.

Can I suggest something like a performance per kilogram modding contest? (I suggested something like this in the past).

With rules such as:

• Everything must be affixed such that the computer can be picked up and rotated upside down without it falling apart.
  • Any adapters (not cables) required to connect, Power cable, Network Cable, Keyboard, Mouse and monitor counts towards the weight.
  • Score done as performance/kilograms.

If you allow some dedicated modding time you will end up some people removing 95% of the case (or building one?), maybe cutting that heatsink in half? Or an ITX board? Mobile cpu? Modding the PSU to remove the weight? Undervolting to drop the heatsink from the video card?

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

GG Linus, get owned. You never stood a chance B|

But he did win... Luke was playing Pokemon Go which has a Map and GPS aspect which could be used for cheating ;)

No internet means no Pokemon Go...

I hope they bump up the benchmarks next season with some more intensive game benchmarks, an APU that barely runs Fortnite at high isn't that impressive, regardless of a "bang for buck" value. I'd like to see some more emphasis on overall performance too, even doing disk and multitasking tests. For a $2000CAD budget, the minimum requirements were laughable. For that price, where's the video encoding/7-zip compression test for productivity? Modern eye candy games as more intensive gpu workloads?

Either bump up the specs or drop the budget waaay down.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Anyone else notice Luke driving the Tesla Model X? Whats the story behind that @Slick ? Would love to know if you bought one or borrowed it or whatever

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

I'm really happy Luke won, but I expected them to run each benchmark more than once and average those results. It would have made for a more accurate score.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

9 hours ago, ReHWolution said:

It's actually a point though. When you shop for something that has a nice bang for the buck, you also want mid to long terms performance. Let's be honest: the APU probably sucks in most of the games. Yes, it scored 0.1 more in the price/perf datasheet they had, but in the rest of the games (idk, maybe PUBG?) the system would have smashed Luke's one.

They even said on the WAN Show, if any of them just found a random computer abandoned on the road, and it runs the game (like the game launches regardless of how crap the framerate is), they automatically win. The score is ∞. That's just how the rules are. It was a bang for the buck challenge, not the best system challenge. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If Linus had somehow sold the 4 leftover RAM sticks for $3,5 total he would've offset the ratios enough to win.

12 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

Thanks to dbrand for sponsoring this series of Scrapyard Wars!
Get their new Nintendo Switch skins at http://dbrand.com/SYW7

take out the 950 off (and price) and use the APU "gpu" and retest :x

18 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
Spoiler

8a1Gnkt.png

Could be funny if Luke has to wear a shirt that says "I am the 0.1%" for the duration of the next scrapyard wars.

On that note, an interesting idea for next scrapyard wars would be that the teams have to shop together to build separate systems, and they have to share information on deals and are able to outbid the other teams for the item.

The other team would have the opportunity to try and outbid them to buy the part. If they successfully outbid the team who originally found the item, they must include it in their final system (no just messing with the other team by outbidding the other team and then just selling it, not using it in the system). If you're the person/team who originally found the item for sale, you are allowed to opt not to use it or sell it to make back cash.

This will make it really interesting if Team A finds a deal on a CPU (eg i5 7400) that team B doesn't have a motherboard for. Team B could outbid Team A for the CPU, but then it will be up to Team B to track down a compatible motherboard. Any time Team B finds a compatible motherboard, they will have to share the info of the deal with Team A and Team A could potentially outbid Team B for the motherboard - but that would restrict Team B to using that CPU and Team A will also have to use that motherboard. If Team A already had a different compatible motherboard, they could sell it direct to Team B for the price they paid for it.

Team A would then still be left looking for a CPU. If Team A finds another compatible CPU (eg i7 7700k) to go in to that motherboard, both teams will again be given the chance to bid on it. Team B could outbid Team A to win the item and upgrade their original i5 7400 CPU to the i7 7700k.
Since this would create a situation where Team B would have 2 CPUs that under the rules they must include in their system, Team B would be required (if requested) to sell the first CPU to Team A for no more than the price they originally paid for it. Team A could then purchase the first CPU (i5 7400) from the other team. If Team A does not decide to purchase it from Team B, both CPUs remain in the possession of Team B and will both be counted towards the final cost of the system.

Would be really interesting to see the sort of drama that goes on as the two teams try to outbid each other on parts.

Spoiler

Rules:

1) The details of any part, parts, or system a team intends to buy must be provided to all teams in the competition prior to purchasing
2) The competition may attempt to outbid you for the part, parts, or system.

3) (a) If a team outbids a competitor for a part, parts, or system; those part, parts, or system must be present in that teams final build
3) (b) If you already own an equivalent part to one that you outbid a competitor for, you may sell the equivalent part to the other team. It is up to the buying team to decide whether or not they wish to purchase the item from the competing team.
3) (c) When selling items to the other team due to rule 3, teams are able to haggle the price lower than the initial purchase cost, however the price cannot be higher than what the item was originally paid for.
4) All parts possessed by the teams by time of final judgement will be included in the cost/budget of their system.
5) You may only sell parts to the public to recover lost cash or make profit from sale if you were the initial finder of the deal for said parts.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

WAT NO O_O

Sorry :c

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

(also kinda wonder if there'd be a tech showdown in the future o-o maybe like aggressively modding an ATX case down to an ITX system)

I think they'll make another season of SYW, but I'm not sure if they'll do a tech showdown.. I guess we'll know when they decide to do so

6 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

I think they'll make another season of SYW, but I'm not sure if they'll do a tech showdown.. I guess we'll know when they decide to do so

they have to! there are still so many things to try. going to a country where english isn't the main language, building the fastest Mac on a budget, building the best Linux machine on a budget....

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

going to a country where english isn't the main language

Even though that would be entertaining, I don't think the expenses would be worth it. (For them)

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

building the fastest Mac on a budget

Here's a video they made about it, but it's more of a build guide

Spoiler

If you want to see budget macs and whatnot then I suggest you check out this guy. He built a few cheap macs.

16 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

building the best Linux machine on a budget

Linux having several light distros, this would be easy (unless they lower the budget drastically), but it's difficult to game on it (requires a lot of setup to make it work)

Spoiler

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Here's a video they made about it, but it's more of a build guide

i'm talking about a genuine Mac. not a hackintosh or something like that... 

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Linux having several light distros, this would be easy (unless they lower the budget drastically), but it's difficult to game on it (requires a lot of setup to make it work)

yes but a slower machine will still get less FPS in games. and native Linux games are easy to get working. 1. install steam... 2. install game. 

She/Her

What about the next season to use somebody that doesn't know about computers(2 vs 2) Linus with somebody that knows 0 things about computers(Dennis) and Luke with somebody the same as Dennis ? and have a budget and they have to build a system for they needs (like the video with MAX)

13 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm talking about a genuine Mac. not a hackintosh or something like that...

Please elaborate, how are they to build a budget mac without building a hackintosh? Kinda confused

13 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yes but a slower machine will still get less FPS in games. and native Linux games are easy to get working. 1. install steam... 2. install game. 

Maybe so, using wine and whatnot was the first thing that came to mind, I forgot about the native games

39 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Please elaborate, how are they to build a budget mac without building a hackintosh? Kinda confused

2008 mac pro with 2 quad-core Xeon's, upgrade ram and gpu maybe?

40 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Maybe so, using wine and whatnot was the first thing that came to mind, I forgot about the native games

yeah, some games they use for testing are native. cities skylines is native i blelieve, so that's a good test of cpu... 

She/Her

52 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

2008 mac pro with 2 quad-core Xeon's, upgrade ram and gpu maybe?

Don't know much about apple products, that's why I asked.

53 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yeah, some games they use for testing are native. cities skylines is native i blelieve, so that's a good test of cpu... 

There are benchmark softwares for linux as well, so that would be helpful too