Bethesda blocks resale of used game

kv
2 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

Tbh after the success and wide reach of Skyrim (I think Bethesda was not as well known before it, especially to the more younger crowd) Bethesda and Zenimax went to shit, starting to care more about the dollars instead of the games themselves.

They're becoming the new Rockstar. Shark Dragon Cards incoming, anyone? Then again, considering how much money GTA:O brought, I can understand why they want a piece of the online pie.

Still though, I thought Bethesda was better than that, though sadly I realize I was very wrong. :(

It would take a massive downhill slide to shitdom to be as bad as Cockstar/TakeTwo. Like let's be honest here, those two companies could fly into the sun and I don't think many people would bat an eye.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

"warranty" on a fucking video game. Bethesda go fuck yourselves.

As for rockstar, I can understand the business model behind shark cards as they have to pay for server upkeep and they do regularly add new content. The main problems are 1. The shark cards are way too expensive for way too little in-game money. The $100 shark card isn't enough to buy some in-game items. 2. They abandoned the idea of single player expansions

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

On 11/08/2018 at 9:06 AM, ScratchCat said:

That is maybe a bit harsh. During the Skyrim days they would sell DLC with a content amount approaching that of a full game. I am not saying that they have not become worse but that they were at one point rather good.

I don't think it's harsh, considering Bethesda / ZeniMax has been a leader in scummy and lawsuit-happy publisher practices for over a decade. Here's an overview of some of Bethesda / ZeniMax' scummy practices going back a long way:

$10 horse armour DLC for Oblivion - this is the historical origin and precedence of all other nickle-and-diming exploitative DLC practices. After Bethesda got the expectations for DLC (a then-new and non-established concept) set at their absolute rock-bottom, many publishers followed and expanded upon Bethesda's lead with their own exploitative DLC practices.

Bethesda sued Mojang over the use of "Scrolls" as a game title, even after Mojang already volunteered to give up the Scrolls title, and then settled out of court because it became pretty clear that Bethesda was likely going to lose the case.

Notch Offered to Give Up "Scrolls" Trademark, Bethesda Sued Anyway

Bethesda And Mojang Settle 'Scrolls' Lawsuit

Bethesda intentionally destroyed developer of 2012's Prey 2, Human Head, by starving the studio of resources to force it into a corner where Human Head would feel like they had to sell the studio to Bethesda for a far-below-value price in order to survive. Human Head did not give in to Bethesda, and as a result of having no income from Prey 2 after having spent its resources making Prey 2, couldn't afford to make another big-title game:

It has taken from then until now for Human Head to recover enough financially to be able to make a new big-title game. Human Head's first big-title game since 2006's Prey will be Rune: Ragnarok, and I'm guessing that it will release next year.

Bethesda reportedly did the same thing to Arkane Studios

5b71c3e0a319c_BethesdashostileacquisitionofArkane.png.2eede7d4e3f3d429070b92535b089b89.png

Suing Facebook and Oculus for $4 billion, trying to get ownership over Oculus technology, while outright losing their original case. The jury awarded $500 million in damages to ZeniMax over breach of NDA, copyright infringement, and false-designation, but all of ZeniMax' original and core claims against Facebook and Oculus were found to be invalid by the court.

ZeniMax awarded $500 million judgment in Oculus lawsuit

Facebook and Oculus are appealing the $500 million verdict: Oculus Vows Appeal of $500 Million Verdict, ZeniMax Threatens Injunction

John Carmack has given a public defence of himself, while suggesting that ZeniMax are liars. He said that ‘The Internet Would Have Viciously Mocked The Analysis’ in the $500 million verdict.

Suing Samsung as an extension of their lawsuit against Facebook and Oculus.

ZeniMax sues Samsung over VR technology in Gear goggles

Suing developer of Kickstarter project "Prey for the Gods" over having the word Prey in their title. The developer opted to simply modify their game's name to "Praey for the Gods" rather than to deal with Bethesda.

Prey for the Gods changes name to avoid fight with Bethesda's Prey

Turning community mods into a capitalist venture with paid mods, and opening their own Bethesda games digital distribution storefront to continue to pursue paid mods after Valve back-tracked on having them for the Steam storefront following public backlash.

If you criticize Bethesda too much on their forums, expect to be banned. The Bethesda forums are like a daycare-centre for toddlers because of draconian moderation. Partial lobotomy and Bethesda fanboyism is required for entrance and staying there.

Trying to stop people from reselling their owned game properties and to dictate whether a new game may be listed as "new" despite the US Supreme Court ruling that people may resell their copyrighted goods without needing any permission from the copyright holder - while being disallowed by the copyright-holder from listing resold unopened games as "new" would be requiring a permission, and therefore would be a violation of the USSC's ruling:

There is some information about other ZeniMax / Bethesda lawsuits in this article: A brief history of Bethesda’s many legal tangles

When talking scummy and greedy publishers, I think that ZeniMax is up there at the top along with EA, ActiVision, Ubisoft, Nintendo.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

13 minutes ago, Swatson said:

"warranty" on a fucking video game. Bethesda go fuck yourselves.

As for rockstar, I can understand the business model behind shark cards as they have to pay for server upkeep and they do regularly add new content. The main problems are 1. The shark cards are way too expensive for way too little in-game money. The $100 shark card isn't enough to buy some in-game items. 2. They abandoned the idea of single player expansions

yeah they don't warranty discs if it has scratches they will say physical damage and not product defect.

5 minutes ago, Jaggsta said:

yeah they don't warranty discs if it has scratches they will say physical damage and not product defect.

Last I checked, Bethesda doesn't directly warranty their games, the retailer does. In this case the retailer is a guy on amazon. Just like you can sell a used game to someone on craigslist, the issue of warranty is moot. If the disk didn't work you would file a complaint against this guy via Amazon.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

there is a possibility when you buy a new disk from a retailer that it will be broken so they have to list all their products as broken by bethesda logic

Hopefully this gets smacked down. Imagine what could happen else where. CarMax, your illegally selling vehicles...

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Hopefully this gets smacked down. Imagine what could happen else where. CarMax, your illegally selling vehicles...

Cars are complicated, since factory warranties are transferable - at least during a private sale (and if you sell it back to one of the manufacturers dealers). I don't know if the warranty still transfers to a competing dealer (whether independent like CarMax, or simply for a different brand).

Plus, CarMax would offer their own warranty of some kind anyway. Whether that matters? I have no idea.

But none the less, it's still utter bullshit.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Seriously, Bethesda? Fuck off. We're entering a new age of anti-consumer bullshit where a used or unused item can't be resold. Let's leave things to collect dust while we don't control that which we purchase. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

It's not even a thing. Bethesda is doing what publishers have done for ages, which is just make up bullshit on the fly and anticipate that the ignorant masses will assume the publisher knows what they're talking about / has magical law-making powers.

What Bethesda is claiming is a arrogant psychopathic fantasy, and Bethesda can't do shit. Pete Hines on Twitter tried to falsely equate "new" with meaning "officially licensed reseller", but that's absurdity with no relation to reality.

Games that have been sold to people are not Bethesda's for them to decide how they may or may not be sold. They are exclusively the property of whoever has bought them. Bethesda holds as much authority over an incorrectly-described resale listing for one of their published games as they do over an incorrectly-described listing of a musical instrument or some camera.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

Sounds like their legal department was bored and needed something to do. There are few things that would make me boycott a company, but behavior like this is certainly one of them. 

I had always loved Bethesda for their great games and supporting if the nodding community. They genuinely seemed to care about gamer but this is just unacceptable. All the respect that I had gained for them over the years is severely hurt by this type of behavior. Here is to hoping that this was merely a mistake of a small party with in the company and not the type of thing they will do in the future. 

13 hours ago, fpo said:

Now I'm 200% not buying Fallout 76. 

I was 200% too.

Now it's 300%

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Bethesda lawyers are idiots and the guy selling the game is a moron for removing the sale. Ebay let's you list the condition of the item:

"Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details"

The guy wans't saying he was a retailer, he just saying the CONDITION of the game was "new" as in "not used" by Ebay's listing options.

I would just have given them the middle finger.

Pretty sure I'd just send them a picture of a butt and a spoon

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Bethesda: Watch this EA! Hold my beer!

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

17 hours ago, dizmo said:

Sounds like their legal department was bored and needed something to do. There are few things that would make me boycott a company, but behavior like this is certainly one of them. 

I can just see the legal department in a round table meeting brainstorming ways to justify their jobs:   "this'll work guys, it's not even legal so after a lengthy battle we can claim unforeseen circumstances and they'll have to keep us employed to sort through the settlement and avoid further litigation".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

these degenerates... these vile ... can you imagine some1 telling you that you can't resell your item... omg...i hope they go  broke and die

Bolivia.

22 hours ago, Lurick said:

Zenimax can take a long walk off a short bridge for this crap. They know most people won't stand up to them because they lack the resources to fight back.

Actually they can, by refusing to buy.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

31 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Actually they can, by refusing to buy.

I wasn't planning on getting Fallout 76. Most online games in that style end up being a complete shit show of hyper-competitive BS, and I really outright despise the Battle Royale concept entirely.

Now I know I won't be getting it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

I was 200% too.

Now it's 300%

I mean I had several hundred percents but I didn't want to tally up EVERYTHING like 2-4 attempts to cash in on paid mods, fallout 4 not being an rpg, fallout 4 being a grind fest, not letting Obsidian make another fallout & so much more. 

22 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Nope, he just says they didn't stop him selling it nor threaten him but he should be selling it as used, as he puts it "once you drive a car off the lot it's no longer new".

Stupid example sir. Driving a car is using it. Playing a game is using the game. The game wasn't played nor opened so it is still new. Unless you count finger prints on the unopened wrapper is classified as being used. 

Not super related but I am willing to give bethesda at least partial credit for doing this: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/11/bethesda-may-not-release-the-elder-scrolls-legends-on-systems-that-dont-allow-crossplay

I'm sure this suits their business interests to sell as many copies as possible but if they can make Sony bow to the pressure then that's a good thing for consumers

41 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Not super related but I am willing to give bethesda at least partial credit for doing this: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/11/bethesda-may-not-release-the-elder-scrolls-legends-on-systems-that-dont-allow-crossplay

I'm sure this suits their business interests to sell as many copies as possible but if they can make Sony bow to the pressure then that's a good thing for consumers

looks like those parents that beat the crap of their kids and then offer them ice cream

On 8/11/2018 at 9:33 PM, Brooksie359 said:

I had always loved Bethesda for their great games and supporting if the nodding community. They genuinely seemed to care about gamer but this is just unacceptable. All the respect that I had gained for them over the years is severely hurt by this type of behavior. Here is to hoping that this was merely a mistake of a small party with in the company and not the type of thing they will do in the future. 

It'd definitely be the legal department. The dev's and such probably had no idea they were even going to be doing it. Still, I agree, it's unacceptable and if the team has to hurt for the company to get the point, so be it.

20 hours ago, mr moose said:

I can just see the legal department in a round table meeting brainstorming ways to justify their jobs:   "this'll work guys, it's not even legal so after a lengthy battle we can claim unforeseen circumstances and they'll have to keep us employed to sort through the settlement and avoid further litigation".

Hahah, yeah. They're probably just worried that it's only a matter of years before a large number of them are replaced by AI xD

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A reseller defrauding a buyer is already covered by numerous laws, and requires no input from bethesda. So far as I know there is no warranty for software unless and until a EULA is agreed to so there is no warranty at all with a "new" game. 

If this all boils down to how terms are defined, fine and dandy, lets get a bunch of people together to agree on what terms have what definitions with regards to games. We have tons of acronyms already. NIB, NOoB, NWT, NWOT, Seller Refurbished, manufacturer refurbished, used, open box, now we could add original cellophane, unwrapped, REwrapped, all under the "New" header.

Bethesda must be either really bored or in REALLY dire straits if this is what their legal team is doing with their time.