Fortnite for Android Beta launches with hefty requirements | Budget and Midrange Phone owners need not apply

AlTech
23 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Completely different devs tho. PUBG Mobile is made by Tencent. PUBG on PC is made by Bluehole/PUBG Corp.

It was merely an example of a similar game, ported to Android, which has lower system requirements.  The fact that it's horribly optimized on the PC was simply meant to display the stark contrast between the two games and their respective ports.

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

They meet the minimum requirements.

They do but I find it funny how they aren’t on the list but other phones with SD820 SoCs are.

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Meanwhile Fortnight on iOS can run on iPhones all the way back to the iPhone 6s and SE. Those phones are running SoCs from 2014 and they run the game well. Props to Apple for putting so much effort into CPU and graphics performance and making Metal to take advantage of all of that performance. 

The A9 in the 6s was when Apple started to push performance beyond high gear. 2015 was also the time where Android phones except Samsung flagships suffered greatly because of a great hand-warmer otherwise known as the Snapdragon 810.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

i do not look forward to the billions of threads asking "what is the cheapest phone i can buy to run Fortnite?"

Its going to be great though when the answer is the iPhone SE :P 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Thank god the Galaxy A5 2017 isn't on that list. I don't need people pranking me by installing Fortnite on my phone. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Its going to be great though when the answer is the iPhone SE :P 

until people say

1. I don't like apple
  2. that's too expensive
  3. can't i just connect an eGPU to my phone?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I find that highly dubious.  Porting between PC and consoles is relatively easy, given that the hardware in consoles is virtually the same as in a PC.  Porting from x86 code to ARM is not so simple, particularly when dealing with very complex code such as in a video game.  I'm not a programmer, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but it seems to me that it would require significant rewriting of the code to be compatible (depending, of course, on how many x86 specific features were utilized by the game).

Depends what game engine they use, some of them are cross-platform (I.e Unity).

Gotta say, it runs really, really badly on my Galaxy S9. It stutters so badly I can't even aim. I've also set it to the lowest settings. Makes little difference.

I'm pretty sure my iPhone 6S had better frametimes.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

While I don't care about the game. I wonder about Galaxy S6 though, I may just try it eventually. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Arika S said:
  1. can't i just connect an eGPU to my phone?

You're giving me ideas 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

is my phone bottlenecking?

D:

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You're giving me ideas 

D:

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

i do not look forward to the billions of threads asking "what is the cheapest phone i can buy to run Fortnite?"

To which Drak3 will answer only with the 512GB Note 9.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

To which Drak3 will answer only with the 512GB Note 9.

The Snapdragon one since it has a better GPU

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The Snapdragon one since it has a better GPU

Nah, hot glue an RTX Titan to the back.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I just upgraded my phone with a 65 core xeon phi.

Can i run fortnite? Will it bottleneck my powervr rogue g6430 gpu?

intel65coresmartphone-370x229.JPG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Am lucky to have s9+ its supported ?

But when and how can I download it?

Why aren't some phones supported even though they meet the minimum requirements? I don't understand that.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

23 hours ago, Jito463 said:

It was merely an example of a similar game, ported to Android, which has lower system requirements.  The fact that it's horribly optimized on the PC was simply meant to display the stark contrast between the two games and their respective ports.

I don't think that PUBG Mobile is a PC port though. I'm pretty sure that it's built from the ground up, which is why it's better than PC PUBG in pretty much every way. :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

Why aren't some phones supported even though they meet the minimum requirements? I don't understand that.

Because of the sheer variety of Android phones, really.

Imagine you're testing the game.  If you want to ensure that it worked on most of the devices that are technically capable of handling it, you have to run tests on several dozen (if not hundreds of phones).  And you have to do this every time there's a significant patch.  It'd get pretty time-consuming, to put it mildly.  You know what's worse than having an unsupported device?  Making everyone on Android wait days for an update because an obscure phone crashes whenever players drink slurp juice.

The focus on a narrow set of commonly-used devices makes sure that Epic spends more time improving the game and less time squashing bugs.  Maybe the company will expand the compatibility list (beyond new devices, of course) as it becomes comfortable, but I don't see it opening the doors to absolutely every device that meets the basic performance needs.

On 12/08/2018 at 5:33 AM, ignaloidas said:

Yet you have to understand that PUBG mobile is basically a different game by diff rent company, it's minimal graphics doesn't look good on event 480p. And I expect that Fortnite has started by using the same codebase they have for PC and then optimizing down the road. IIRC they even said they would have crossplay with PC.

People don't want the same experience on a phone as they do on a PC. There is no keyboard and mouse and a much smaller screen - so why make the game harder to play?

5 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

People don't want the same experience on a phone as they do on a PC. There is no keyboard and mouse and a much smaller screen - so why make the game harder to play?

I still don't understand why anyone would even want to play a twitch-based shooter on a phone.  It just seems completely ridiculous to me.  Even if you use a controller instead of the touchscreen, it's still going to be an inferior experience.

59 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I still don't understand why anyone would even want to play a twitch-based shooter on a phone.  It just seems completely ridiculous to me.  Even if you use a controller instead of the touchscreen, it's still going to be an inferior experience.

Fortnite is not a twitch-shooter though.

6 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I don't know, maybe they want to get not usual mobile crowd, but those who play Fortnite on PC already

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Fortnite is not a twitch-shooter though.

It is exceptionally popular on Twitch (Fortnite streamer Ninja holds the record for the most live viewers) and while it is a more sandbox like shooter, not a pure bred shooter it is still closely related with many similar mechanics and so isn't as "easily" playable on a touchscreen.