Caselabs is shutting down.

Hyperwerk
35 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

maybe they meant it like a foreshadowing factor and decided to file early? not sure how half-and-half are both factors mentioned ,_,

When a company declares bankruptcy (without a sudden major event e.g earthquake knocking out all your factories without insurance), it is nearly always at the end of a long stretch of very weak performance.  Future prospects are not the cause. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wow.... this sucks :(

I love my SMA8 and was hoping to buy some extra parts incase I screw something up but it looks like that won't be happening now....

0515180611.jpg

5b6ec6e6ecd93_DesQSFgW0AMQUf6.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.4688c43d8f86a9af07b40929ae5074c3.jpg

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

35 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Wow.... this sucks :(

I love my SMA8 and was hoping to buy some extra parts incase I screw something up but it looks like that won't be happening now....

-snip

Same here man. I just ordered the last gunmetal grey quad 120 radiator sidemount that I could find on Amazon for my SMA8.

Can't find any drive cages to put on it though, which is what I really wanted/needed in the first place.

https://www.mountainmods.com/product_info.php?products_id=326

I suppose that will suffice. Not as good as the original Caselabs option which held more drives and used sleds and whatnot, but that doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

I hope someone at least buys the rights to make replacement parts for a few years.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Translated:

Company can't compete. Blames tariffs that don't even have an effect yet.

Similar thing happened with steel products used in construction, tariffs are blamed for the most recent price increase, but the tariffs were ultimately irrelevant as said price increase was known to suppliers well in advance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Shame, they really did make beautiful cases.

Well I guess this means we can expect to see more brands duplicate their cases. :(

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

10 hours ago, Pbr38 said:

i suppose its too hopeful to pray hat maybe some of their designs and designers get picked up by someone else like corsair, nzxt, etc.

Or Thermaltake :D

Sad to see them go, they really made quality stuff. SMA8 is one of the very few cases on the market where dual loop actually makes sense.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

11 hours ago, FireofDestruction said:

If they did get picked up by corsair/nzxt/coolermaster etc the cases wouldnt be near the quality of what caselabs produced

Yeah, it won't. The reason why caselabs cases cost a premium, even for their cheapest case, is because their frames is a lot thicker, than other case manufactures out there.

dsc-5784.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'm really sad to see them go. I was really looking forward buying one of their case next year. Sad times.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Translated:

Tariffs themselves are generally the result of failing industries with outsize political influence blaming other countries for their own lack of competitiveness.

That is such a shame. I loved case labs cases. I didn't have one but have always wanted one. My they go down as legends in PC history.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

$600 for a mid atx case was kiiiiiiiiiiiiinda high

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Such a shame. Hope the people working there find new jobs. So lucky i got my Mercury S8 delivered in June!

31B62AB8-0682-4D0E-BE0A-4D53DF497A3F.jpeg

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Translated:

Similar thing happened with steel products used in construction, tariffs are blamed for the most recent price increase, but the tariffs were ultimately irrelevant as said price increase was known to suppliers well in advance.

14 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Some of Case Labs stuff would have been hit; some would not have been. (The Tariff run actually affects petroleum products a lot more.) It's 25% Import tax, but that usually translates to about a 10% end-user cost increase. They also *haven't gone into effect yet*.

The real problem would appear to them being an extremely fragile company. They lost 1 account and their production costs go up 80% from a 25% tariff that isn't active yet. This means a lot of bad decisions were made over time, and they simply got crunched by events when they weren't stable enough to handle them. One could also say that their business model required production cost arbitrage out of China. 

This won't be the last company to go under like this, but it also explains why this is happening. The entire Cost Structure of some of these industries is based off getting products at prices that aren't actually viable for the industry. China has been one Recession away from causing this chain of events anyway, it's just being kicked off by the USA.

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

So a tariff that isn't implemented yet is blamed for a company going arse up and you people believe it without question?  Crikey!

There are plenty of tariffs that have come into effect that could explain the price increase; and there could be the speculative price increases from providers (and to an extent price increases from shortages as supplies and consumers hoard material intended for tariffs).  Ultimately, the announcement of tariffs and the fear of what tariffs may mean can cause a lot of instability in prices. [An example, if you sourced your steel locally an proposed tariff would increase the demand for local product which the local supplier might not be able to full-fill, causing an increase in pricing due to demand.  If you relied on local steel to supply your company, you could see a huge increase in cost]

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

Tariffs themselves are generally the result of failing industries with outsize political influence blaming other countries for their own lack of competitiveness.

do you know how china can have steal and aluminum so much cheaper? well they subsidize it, and bought tons of it from 3rd world countries well under the price it was worth, remelted them and were able to sell at very low prices, the government then pays for transport too, how can other countries fight against all the trickery china pulls, its really hard 

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

It's not if you've had one of their cases before.  Their cases' quality is literally second to none.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

9 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

It's not if you've had one of their cases before.  Their cases' quality is literally second to none.

better be made of solid gold then

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

So a tariff that isn't implemented yet is blamed for a company going arse up and you people believe it without question?  Crikey!

It didn't seem that unreasonable of a statement to me. Quotes for materials are going to include the tariffs in the price since orders are placed ahead of time.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Relocate to Canada, problem solved.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Damn, sucks to see them go. They made sweet cases but none that I would ever buy because of the cost. Not just the cost of the case, but also the cost of what you need to put in there to not make it seem extremely empty. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Not kinda high. It's too damn high.

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

For $600 it's either

A) CaseLabs case with a GT 1030

B) Phanteks Enthoo Pro case with a GTX 1080

Most will likely go with option B. So it doesn't matter how good their cases' quality are, when cheaper cases have the features they want.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

27 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Most will likely go with option B. So it doesn't matter how good their cases' quality are, when cheaper cases have the features they want.

As it turns out: no case manufacturer has the features and quality that CaseLabs does (or, more accurately: did).  It's why their cases cost so damned much.  For instance: my optioned-up THW10 was literally $900.  Just the case.  There isn't a case in existence that has what mine does.  It's why I bought it.

The problem is volume.  They obviously couldn't compete only with high-end cases.  They needed a "low-end" or "down-market" set of cases to sell in volume.  However, given that they were a teeny, little shop with only a few folks hand-building everything they did, volume just wasn't an option.

It's too bad, really.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

47 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

For $600 it's either

A) CaseLabs case with a GT 1030

B) Phanteks Enthoo Pro case with a GTX 1080

Most will likely go with option B. So it doesn't matter how good their cases' quality are, when cheaper cases have the features they want

You know very well that it's extremely improbable that there are any Caselabs chassis owners who had to make that kind of decision ;-)

"OMG bought SMA8 and custom LC, now I don't have money to buy actual hardware and will need to watercool my 1030" :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

20 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

You know very well that it's extremely improbable that there are any Caselabs chassis owners who had to make that kind of decision ;-)

"OMG bought SMA8 and custom LC, now I don't have money to buy actual hardware and will need to watercool my 1030" :D

quad sli and 64GB ram is considered a low end build for someone who buys a caselabs case smh

4 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

There are plenty of tariffs that have come into effect that could explain the price increase; and there could be the speculative price increases from providers (and to an extent price increases from shortages as supplies and consumers hoard material intended for tariffs).  Ultimately, the announcement of tariffs and the fear of what tariffs may mean can cause a lot of instability in prices. [An example, if you sourced your steel locally an proposed tariff would increase the demand for local product which the local supplier might not be able to full-fill, causing an increase in pricing due to demand.  If you relied on local steel to supply your company, you could see a huge increase in cost]

How many new tariffs do you think there are?  As far as I am aware there has been nothing new applied for a very long time, in fact if anything things over the last decade have gotten cheaper due too less government interference with trade.  Rest assured this is 99% poor business management in a tough market.

2 hours ago, 2FA said:

It didn't seem that unreasonable of a statement to me. Quotes for materials are going to include the tariffs in the price since orders are placed ahead of time.

It is when the tariff is not actually implemented yet.  How does a company suffer losses and cost increases from a cost that doesn't exist?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.