Emulation hub Emuparadise removed all ROMs, fearing legal action

Techicolors

Popular ROM site Emuparadise, known for being a safe way to get ROMs since 2000, now removed all downloadable ROMs in fears of 'disastrous consequences'. 

Today, EmuParadise, a longstanding emulation hub around since 2000, announced that it will no longer host ROMs on its site because it is not worth risking the "potentially disastrous consequences."

"Many of you are aware that the situation with regards to emulation sites has been changing recently," site founder MasJ said in a statement. "What you probably don't know is that we at EmuParadise have been dealing with similar issues for all 18 years of our existence. From receiving threatening letters in the early days to our hosts suddenly shutting down our servers due to complaints, we've seen it all. We've always complied with takedown requests but as you can see, that is no guarantee of anything." 

Thus, we have decided to make a new start. We will continue to be passionate retro gamers and will keep doing cool stuff around retro games. But you won't be able to get your games from here for now. Where we go with this is up to us and up to you.

We'll still have our emulators database, the community, and everything that comes along with that.

We have already made several plans of what is going to happen next. It's going to be a fun new beginning and there's going to be lots to come! We'd also love to hear from you in the comments about what you think we should do. But for now, we need to make this change. We've served the community for 18 glorious years and it's been a hell of a ride!

founder MasJ is clear that they'll continue being the #1 emulation site, but he has strong doubts that they'll be a source of downloading games in the future

While they do not state Nintendo being the reason for this change, it is definitely a possibility. In addition the distribution and download of ROMs is technically illegal, they wouldn't want to risk trying in court. However, this is a huge blow to the emulation community, as Emuparadise has been a pretty easy and safe way to obtain ROMs for a long time. Such a loss of a source will mean a harder times for people to play and preserve their favorite games of old

edit: also sorry if this isn't appropriate, just thought it was interesting as it is showing up in tech news sites

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/emuparadise-stops-distributing-game-roms,37584.html

https://www.pcgamer.com/fearing-legal-action-emulation-hub-emuparadise-is-removing-all-its-roms/

https://www.emuparadise.me/emuparadise-changing.php

This really is a stupid situation, the main reason emulation even exists is because of titles no longer available for purchase, and being able to play them when and how you want. IF nintendo would make their own pc virtual console they have their own money printing machine.

Just now, suits said:

This really is a stupid situation, the main reason emulation even exists is because of titles no longer available for purchase, and being able to play them when and how you want. IF nintendo would make their own pc virtual console they have their own money printing machine.

^^^^

"No you can't buy the games, but if you try and play them without paying us we'll sue you, but we won't let you pay us for them"

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^^

"No you can't buy the games, but if you try and play them without paying us we'll sue you, but we won't let you pay us for them"

For sure, in reality this will not stop a single pirated game, and in reality it could lead to more piracy. Things like this, and pay walls for tv shows drive people to learn how to pirate, and once they pirate what they were originally looking for they aren't going to stop their, they are going to begin to pirate everything else. That's how this works. Companies complain about piracy and not making money, and their solutions almost always drive people to learn how to pirate...

15 minutes ago, suits said:

For sure, in reality this will not stop a single pirated game, and in reality it could lead to more piracy. Things like this, and pay walls for tv shows drive people to learn how to pirate, and once they pirate what they were originally looking for they aren't going to stop their, they are going to begin to pirate everything else. That's how this works. Companies complain about piracy and not making money, and their solutions almost always drive people to learn how to pirate...

They could just offer all the older games for sale or as a mega bundle for $60 (say all the classics or something as one big pack), that'd be easy and safe, and people would buy that. But instead they like to make them unavailable, then complain when people make them available through other means. Pretty retarded but I guess companies just hate their old games now? 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

They could just offer all the older games for sale or as a mega bundle for $60 (say all the classics or something as one big pack), that'd be easy and safe, and people would buy that. But instead they like to make them unavailable, then complain when people make them available through other means. Pretty retarded but I guess companies just hate their old games now? 

A dollar. Just charge a dollar. Charge $50 or $60 for the official emulator (Game Boy to GBC; GBA to DS; NES to SNES; N64; GameCube; Wii to WiiU).

I GUARANTEE that I will put down at least a few hundred the day of release. Hell, without the games I would put down $300 just for the emulation software.

Protecting your IP is one thing, but denying access to something that is no longer produced is another. That's my opinion. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

A dollar. Just charge a dollar. Charge $50 or $60 for the official emulator (Game Boy to GBC; GBA to DS; NES to SNES; N64; GameCube; Wii to WiiU).

I GUARANTEE that I will put down at least a few hundred the day of release. Hell, without the games I would put down $300 just for the emulation software.

Protecting your IP is one thing, but denying access to something that is no longer produced is another. That's my opinion. 

Yep. Kinda don't mind piracy in this instance. Like the only game I haven't paid for or gotten for free from some official means is the original Battlefront from 2004. Since you can't buy it any more (other than a second hand disc off eBay that I wouldn't trust), there's really no alternative other than downloading it when someone dumps it on the internet. If they'd just offer an official means to get the games, MOST people would buy them. I doubt there's that many actual hardcore pirates compared to the droves that would shower money on game devs if they released their favorite classics. I mean, GoG seems to do well and most of what they sell are classics or indie titles. 

Main PC 

Sega released their Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics on Steam with 54 titles on it. Atari has Atari Vault with 100 titles, also on Steam. With the Genesis Classics I've replayed a lot of childhood games on it and could see myself revisiting them again later on. Why is it so hard for Nintendo? Or better question, why are they so dead set on their old ways?

2 hours ago, Logarithm said:

Wow, that's pretty crap. What good alternatives are there?

Romhustler :D 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

This will not bode well for the companies threatening ROM hosts. They have only fanned the flames. :| I will not be playing any more Nintendo DS games any time soon...

The issue with Nintendo allowing this is the difficulties, legally speaking, Nintendo would face only taking down games that they currently support. In some countries, Nintendo only requesting the take down of certain titles that they currently support on their platforms. Because Nintendo do support SOME of their older titles on the 3DS for example, with titles such as the original Zelda and Castlevania.

Requesting that those two titles be removed from the ROM list, and only those two game be removed could be seen as Nintendo giving permission that all other ROMs can stay up. It's much simpler and cheaper for Nintendo to simply demand that every single ROM infringing on their intellectual property be taken down.

Also claiming that Nintendo does not support their older titles is pure hogwash. They have released legacy consoles such as the NES mini and the SNES mini, and they offer virtual console on the 3DS and the switch to my knowledge. They even finished up development of Star fox 2, which was cancelled in 1996 then released in 2017. It's just that Nintendo does not support their less successful legacy titles.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

tbh my Raspberry Pi full of many old games is rarely used. 

1 hour ago, MMKing said:

Also claiming that Nintendo does not support their older titles is pure hogwash. They have released legacy consoles such as the NES mini and the SNES mini, and they offer virtual console on the 3DS and the switch to my knowledge. They even finished up development of Star fox 2, which was cancelled in 1996 then released in 2017. It's just that Nintendo does not support their less successful legacy titles.

The virtual console ports have been known to be notoriously bad ports of those games. The S/NES minis, while much better are not the most elegant way to address this. The obvious answer that's staring them in the face (and to some extent MS have demonstrated via BC etc) is a netflix-style subscription where the user can get access to the full library of S/NES titles - accurately emulated for a reasonable price. Nintendo are dropping the ball hard.

1:52:00 into this podcast does a great job explaining the situation

https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/the-giant-beastcast-episode-168/1600-2426/

4 hours ago, Peskanova said:

Romhustler :D 

SsHHhh

Don't let nintendo know, they are watching

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Wow, just fucking wow. WTF, Nintendo?! Since 2000 and 18 years later they start doing this??

I can see why Sony hates Nintendo and can't blame Sony.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Something about the copyright holder's rights to let the medium die and be resurrected at their whim.. 

Idk if I read that right at Nintendo's website.

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

8 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Charge $50 or $60 for the official emulator (Game Boy to GBC; GBA to DS; NES to SNES; N64; GameCube; Wii to WiiU).

my issue there is that they will only release it for a system and never all the spots i currently have an emulator on:

psp

vita

3ds

pc

mac

ps3

wii

v30

And never forget all the emu station projects that are powered by pi

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

We're not supposed to aid in piracy.

You cant buy them so its hardly qialifies as piracy... ;)

Nintendo is really backwards AF sometimes OH YEA we'll sue your ass for nearly 20 year old games. That we dont produce or put on our e-store cause our e-store is garbage and we dont care or wont place the games you love on our virtual console. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

No, it does and you can buy them still.  It doesn't work that way.  A copyright is held for 75 years.  Pretty sure those games haven't been out that long.

Coming from someone who deals with a lot of copyrighted stuff, that 75 years fucking sucks and we can thank Disney for that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Even so, the consumer doesn't get to make the rules they just have to follow them.  The point is, if you don't want to get sued then do break the rules because companies like Nintendo, Disney, Fox, Hustler, and many others will likely sue the shit out of you.  Nintendo is going after people over ROMs there is actually a portion of their website's legal section dedicated to explaining why they do it and misconceptions about piracy and roms.

Yeah, as much as I vehemently disagree with the way copyright is handled in general, Nintendo has every right to go after Emuparadise.

I've always defended Nintendo on a legal basis here because, well, they legally can sue.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

9 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp Since we're talking about it.  This actually disagrees from a legal standpoint against most of the silly arguments people make to justify ROMs and what not.  I get their argument, but again, they don't get to make the rules.  xD 

True and well said.

I do like my nintendo classic roms but if nintendo takes them away from rom sites or shuts the sites down, I do know that nintendo is just following their rules. Is it kind of stupid and should they release other "safe and reasonably priced" alternatives to those classic games? yes.

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

On 8/10/2018 at 3:35 PM, Logarithm said:

Wow, that's pretty crap. What good alternatives are there?

Afaik we're not allowed to share any that we know of because of the community guidelines.

http://google.com/

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

11 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Considering the copyright holder deems it as piracy we are not allowed to assist in the crime.

That’s alright. I get my fames on itch.io.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers