VegetableStu

The next time you see a brand called "Gadget Technology", remember that Acer spun off their peripheral division.

Posted · Original PosterOP

acer_bags_678_678x452.jpg

picture grabbed just because of the luggage

(to be fair, that's probably the massive laptop mobility device)

source: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2018/08/09/2003698194

via:

https://www.pcgamer.com/acer-wants-a-larger-slice-of-the-pc-gaming-pie-plans-to-spin-off-peripherals-business/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13203/acer-accessories-spin-off-gadget-technology-unc

PCGamer:

Acer is getting serious about gaming mice and other PC peripherals. So serious, in fact, that it plans on spinning off its PC gaming and smart accessories business into a wholly owned subsidiary to capture a larger share of the market. This is not brand new territory for Acer, which has its line of Predator peripherals, and last year debuted an ambidextrous mouse and a new gaming headset.

Acer spokesperson Wayne Chang said at a news conference that the subsidiary is tentatively named Gadget Technology Inc.

name: 5.5/10. It's not the WORST name out there, to their credit....

Anandtech:

Acer’s Gadget Technology will focus on market segments with “higher profit margins," covering a wide breadth of products. Initially, Gadget Technology will have two lineups of products: the first one will include premium PC gaming mice, keyboards, headphones, chairs and cases. The second one will comprise of smart devices, including air quality monitors, according to a report from the Taipei Times that cites the company’s officials.

hang on, that's vaguely like the opposite of the acquidiversifying all HID makers are doing o_o why the split? (I'm not business trained, so please school me on the possibilities here ,_,)

Taipei Times:

Asked whether Acer intends to let Gadget Technology serve as the company’s internal start-up incubator and if it plans to stage an initial public offering for the unit, Chang said that neither option has been ruled out.

(...)

they are scheduled to be spun off on Sept. 14.

interesting, interesting... Not sure about my grip on this story, because I'd be equally lost if (say) Asus spun off ROG o_o

Gadget Technology sounds like it was designed and made in a sweatshop. Most gaming peripherals likely are but at least they don't sound like it.

The Predator brand has fairly good standing already with a decent logo and everything. They should've just kept it 

If I'm honest I spend more time playing with the hardware that I do playing on the hardware

-Rig Specs in Profile

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I an unsure why they would not just stick with the current branding. The predator brand is actually quite good. Gadget technology sounds like a some cheap knock off brand tbh. 

Have you used their sub $1000 laptops? They look and feel like cheap knock offs so that'd be par for the course.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Have you used their sub $1000 laptops? They look and feel like cheap knock offs so that'd be par for the course.

I use their monitors so I can't say I have. I just know they make very nice monitors and I hope those stay under the predator branding. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I use their monitors so I can't say I have. I just know they make very nice monitors and I hope those stay under the predator branding. 

Having bits fall off a brand new laptop that you're using isn't nice.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Having bits fall off a brand new laptop that you're using isn't nice.....

Yeah that doesn't sound like it. Usually that's what warranties are for. 

Not sure why they feel PC peripherals should go in the same section as luggage and other random consumer goods.  Is there going to be t-shirts too?

I assume this means we'll see a quality drop... not that I imagine it was great to begin with, but still.