I pay for 300 mbps and am getting 70kbps download speeds

420amag

I have been getting close to my advertised speeds on ethernet up until today when I used a mobile hotspot and then switched to my wifi and my speeds didnt change (If it is of any major significance my download is on kali linux) speedtest even says 4 mbps and my phone gets only 8. But my upload speeds are totally normal

So if anyone could please help me that would be highly appreciated

Thanks

20180810_082307.jpg

Where is your router located in the house.

How far do you live from your cabinet (Green junction box)

How many devices are connected at one time?

How many people are using it during peak times of the day.

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

1 minute ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Where is your router located in the house.

How far do you live from your cabinet (Green junction box)

How many devices are connected at one time?

How many people are using it during peak times of the day.

My router is about 5 meters away from where my computer is and am connected via ethernet and my junction box is literally down the street

And in my household nobody is using it other than me downloading and watching YouTube at the same time

They're probs having a glitch or upgrading something along the line, so you might be using a different server site that's way further away. 

It happens pretty frequently on my ISP

I make intelligent lights do cool things

5 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

They're probs having a glitch or upgrading something along the line, so you might be using a different server site that's way further away. 

It happens pretty frequently on my ISP

Ok it isnt the end of the world if that's the case and I also cant check the router settings and find out because I'm a child and dont have admin permissions lol

But thanks for the response

Hello fellow KC person.

Do you get similar behavior after rebooting the router and modem?

You should be able to pull some modem signal stats from http://192.168.100.1 

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

3 minutes ago, Ishjeoevru said:

My router is about 5 meters away from where my computer is and am connected via ethernet and my junction box is literally down the street

And in my household nobody is using it other than me downloading and watching YouTube at the same time

Switching to wifi wouldn't make the connection better only a little bit slower so if yo can use your Ethernet cable if your able too like you said you use... Keep the router away from ceramic as that will deflect the signal, if on wifi try changing wifi channel to either 3,6,9,12 but there possibility your junction box closest to you is full and you could be connected to one further away meaning slower speeds.

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

3 hours ago, beersykins said:

Hello fellow KC person.

Do you get similar behavior after rebooting the router and modem?

You should be able to pull some modem signal stats from http://192.168.100.1 

Rebooting the modem seemed to fix it thank you very much for your help

You probably need a new router, I use my ISPs modem and then connect to a mesh network to display my wifi. My girlfriend had a similar problem with her speed but it was wifi not plugged. It should be around the same idea. A router older than 2 years wont be quick. 

There might he a cheaper problem going on. Your ethernet cable. If its not Cat6 (i think thats a good base for ethernet, I know Cat7 exist but sometimes that a bit overkill) or your cable is broken. I had a cat6 that was broken and had to get it replaced because my wifi saw a huge drop (it was 100ft and under my house. A rat chewed it up) but now its perfect! 

So the two fixes new ethernet cable and/or a new router should fix it!

23 hours ago, Stoigeboiii said:

So the two fixes new ethernet cable and/or a new router should fix it!

He already fixed it.  Blindly replacing the router is a bit of a jump to conclusions..

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 8/12/2018 at 11:28 AM, beersykins said:

He already fixed it.  Blindly replacing the router is a bit of a jump to conclusions..

Sometimes that shotgun approach is the only choice...

If you're torrenting popular.. things.. then this creates a lot of connections/states which can fill up consumer routers/firewalls pretty quickly - thus a reboot will often fix it. If you are torrenting and the problem comes back - consider that may be the cause.