Interesting new MITM attack demonstrated, your laptop can probably be hacked via its charger

Master Disaster
9 hours ago, Froody129 said:

He obviously doesn't want to be... Charged with anything 

Charge attacks before

FragrantFaroffHoneybee-max-1mb.gif

Charge attacks now

USB-Type-C-Charging-Your-Device.jpg&f=1

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Lets say it together 

?physical ?access

-Physical access

-USB charging

-Some random persons charger

Dont worry, some news site will make this breaking news.

remember when chargers could only send a straight current and did use the same ports as the one you use for data?

511TlPlLdQL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

i 'member.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This honestly doesn't seem like a huge issue.  Unless you are using random chargers you find laying around (which is super stupid and not something anyone should do), and you charge over usb c (just a little bit extra unlikeliness), there should be no problem.  If it was discovered that you could get an STD by using random condoms you picked up on the street, that wouldn't make the news because it's just common sense.  How is this different?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If it was discovered that you could get an STD by using random condoms you picked up on the street, that wouldn't make the news because it's just common sense. 

Ummmmm.... Kinda

http://abc7.com/health/cdc-dont-wash-reuse-condoms/3866582/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

most modern laptops now use the USB Port for charging as well as it's normal uses

oof that's pretty stupid if u ask me

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

> Charger looks different today

> Is that a Raspberry Pi stuck to the side?

> Plugs laptop in

> Where did this virus come from?

Hmmm...

My Teensy is itching for some action.

It also happens to have an SD card capabilities as well...

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

20 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

This is just a standard USB attack except the delivery method is slightly smarter.. nothing new here.

You'd think they'd have figured out how to prevent automatic code execution from external drives at this point though... besides, I could be wrong but doesn't this still charge the device? The port's data transfer functionality should probably be disabled during charging...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Perhaps disable data access to connected charging devices and have a prompt to allow trusted devices? Perhaps you could use signatures as well?

Not too hard to fix maybe.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide