XPS 15 Antenna

aaron__kys

Hello,

I recently broke the charging port in my 9560, I decided to the fix myself since it seemed very easy, and IT WAS. The problem is the Killer WLAN antenna cable ripped, the white one labeled MAIN. Not knowing what to do I, placed the black cable labeled AUX in the port labeled MAIN. I taped the white cable and put the laptop back together. I turned it on and the wifi STILL works. Should I buy another antenna or leave it as is? The attached images show a similar antenna and card. Will this have any negative effects?

xps15-wifi-snapfinish.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

4 hours ago, aaron__kys said:

Hello,

I recently broke the charging port in my 9560, I decided to the fix myself since it seemed very easy, and IT WAS. The problem is the Killer WLAN antenna cable ripped, the white one labeled MAIN. Not knowing what to do I, placed the black cable labeled AUX in the port labeled MAIN. I taped the white cable and put the laptop back together. I turned it on and the wifi STILL works. Should I buy another antenna or leave it as is? The attached images show a similar antenna and card. Will this have any negative effects?

I mean, if your WiFi still works at decent (or even the same speeds) and you're OK opening the laptop to re-tape it should it come loose again, why bother ordering a new one? There is something to be said about having undamaged parts, sure, but until you plan to sell the laptop if your repair solution works, I'd just keep using it for the time being as-is.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I would sugest to buy a new one. The AUX antenna is used to compare the signals gained by the main one and to filter the noise. It has similar specs as the main one but the main one is labeled as main for a reason, don't u think? xD Now the aux has less performance than main and if the NIC has 5GHz capability most of the times, only main can get 5GHz and aux is used for 2.4GHz.

Now justifying why I would buy a new one: That wire, you might not bbelieve it but it is the antenna itself (look at FPV drones, they have a big antenna for video and 2 strings of wire for flight controller). Now, if you glue it or something, if you have 1mm less or more wire you will transform the antenna frequency by 100-250Hz, and that means a lot of speed loss. You can get one cheap if you go to a refurbish retailer or something like that. The fact is I work in a store like that and there are some customers that come with that problem and if it is a common model we charge only for labor, that being between 5 and 15 minutes. You don't need to listen me, but this is the fact and I hope this will help you :D