Looking for help with first gaming pc build

Krismatic

First post on the forum so forgive me for not adding tags, I really don't know what to tag this with.

I currently own a Dell xps 15 9560 which I only upgraded to 24 gb of ram (I couldn't be bothered to get another 16 gb stick) and I use this for work. Just tried to play Monster Hunter World and cried at the frame rate, to be fair I wasn't expecting much out of it lol. I have no experience in building PC's what so ever but I am learning and have seen a few pc build guides like linus's $1,000 gaming pc build guide,.

Anyways I'm looking to build a PC with these things in mind

-PSU that supplies more power than the components need, so I can upgrade to better parts in the future if need be

-Able to run triple A games at 4k 60fps at least

-Smaller SSD for boot larger HDD for storage ofc

-Non-overclocked CPU since this is a first build and I don't want to fiddle with that

Budget is £1,500 but I am willing to go higher if there's reasonable justification to go higher. The budget is only for the PC itself, I already have plans to sort out the other extra stuff.

With all that in mind I threw this build together, minus things like cpu cooling fan, thermal paste and cables, I really didn't know what to choose. (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3khPQZ) What do you think of this build? I really don't know what goes into deciding which PC parts are good and which are bad so a helping hand is always nice.

for intel you dont need a z370 because you won't overclock

ill see what can i make

4 minutes ago, ZRteth said:

for intel you dont need a z370 because you won't overclock

ill see what can i make

it looks pretty good but what he said, are u planing on doing anything other than gaming?

10 minutes ago, Krismatic said:

First post on the forum so forgive me for not adding tags, I really don't know what to tag this with.

I currently own a Dell xps 15 9560 which I only upgraded to 24 gb of ram (I couldn't be bothered to get another 16 gb stick) and I use this for work. Just tried to play Monster Hunter World and cried at the frame rate, to be fair I wasn't expecting much out of it lol. I have no experience in building PC's what so ever but I am learning and have seen a few pc build guides like linus's $1,000 gaming pc build guide,.

Anyways I'm looking to build a PC with these things in mind

-PSU that supplies more power than the components need, so I can upgrade to better parts in the future if need be

-Able to run triple A games at 4k 60fps at least

-Smaller SSD for boot larger HDD for storage ofc

-Non-overclocked CPU since this is a first build and I don't want to fiddle with that

Budget is £1,500 but I am willing to go higher if there's reasonable justification to go higher. The budget is only for the PC itself, I already have plans to sort out the other extra stuff.

With all that in mind I threw this build together, minus things like cpu cooling fan, thermal paste and cables, I really didn't know what to choose. (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3khPQZ) What do you think of this build? I really don't know what goes into deciding which PC parts are good and which are bad so a helping hand is always nice.

I think the build is pretty good but you can get another mobo for this non-K processor.

You mentioned that you want to run AAA games at 4k/60fps. You can get a 1080Ti instead of a 1080 (or just wait a little longer for the new NVIDIA GPUs) for better 4k performance but, it's still not really enough for a stable 60fps on most AAA games, I believe, without lowering the graphics settings.

Since you're getting a locked CPU, there's no need for such a high end motherboard. A low end Z370 board, just for the RAM speed is justifiable, but not such an expensive one. 

You don't need an 850 Pro, especially for that price. A 500GB MX500 costs less. 

Why such an expensive HDD? You can get a 7200RPM 3TB HDD for £60 or a 7200RPM 4TB HDD for £87. 

The Pure Power 10 is a budget unit. Even with a 1080 Ti, you'll draw well under 400W, so invest in a higher end PSU instead, like the Formula Gold, Whisper M or Straight Power 11. 

For gaming, especially at higher resolutions, the GPU is more important than the CPU. Getting a 1080 Ti Will benefit you more than an 8700. 

CPU coolers come with some thermal paste, the cables you need come with the PSU and motherboard. 

You could get something like this for less. Do keep in mind that the GPU price is £100 that what's listed, PCPP is broken with Amazon prices. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  (£149.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.99 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B360-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£74.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£149.99 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£79.19 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£59.99 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB iCX GAMING Video Card  (£527.73 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: be quiet! - Straight Power 11 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£86.39 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1218.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 00:54 BST+0100

:)

13 minutes ago, ZRteth said:

i tweaked the setup a bit

it wasnt bad but now you have a 1080ti 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8bNnyX

Not really. You swapped the PSU for a much louder one, which also has issues with its protections (and no multi rail), and if you bothered to check the actual GPU pricing, you'll see that it's £100 than what's listed on PCPP. Making the PC go over budget. 

:)

Few things about your existing build list:
1. You need an aftermarket cooler, the 8700 is a hot processor so getting something like an Arctic Freezer 33 eSports for under $40, it's a worthy investment.

2. You should probably get a 1080 Ti if you want to ensure 4K 60FPS gameplay.

3. Why an 850 Pro? Unless you know you'll be transferring extremely large files back and forth, the read & write speeds are negligible. Getting a regular Samsung 850 is more cost-efficient.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£269.99 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£143.99 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£51.59 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£86.78 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB iCX GAMING Video Card  (£637.00) from amazon.
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (White w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£68.50 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£66.53 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1419.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 03:44 BST+0100

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 hours ago, ZRteth said:

i tweaked the setup a bit

it wasnt bad but now you have a 1080ti 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8bNnyX

I did pick the Z370 mostly incase I change my mind about overclocking in the future but this still looks great, thanks, What about recommended CPU cooling fan?

8 hours ago, kittygamer2023 said:

it looks pretty good but what he said, are u planing on doing anything other than gaming?

On this PC? Perhaps some light photo editing and I'll probably work on the PC too. My work involves a lot of stuff but the most noteworthy part is working with VM's running on the PC itself and on servers.Though this isn't a main focus of the build; if it works it works, if it doesn't then too bad so sad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 hours ago, Ilan Yakov said:

I think the build is pretty good but you can get another mobo for this non-K processor.

You mentioned that you want to run AAA games at 4k/60fps. You can get a 1080Ti instead of a 1080 (or just wait a little longer for the new NVIDIA GPUs) for better 4k performance but, it's still not really enough for a stable 60fps on most AAA games, I believe, without lowering the graphics settings.

I see, I did have a feeling this would be the case and considered an SLI setup, but I also know that not everything supports it. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

7 hours ago, seon123 said:

Since you're getting a locked CPU, there's no need for such a high end motherboard. A low end Z370 board, just for the RAM speed is justifiable, but not such an expensive one. 

You don't need an 850 Pro, especially for that price. A 500GB MX500 costs less. 

Why such an expensive HDD? You can get a 7200RPM 3TB HDD for £60 or a 7200RPM 4TB HDD for £87. 

The Pure Power 10 is a budget unit. Even with a 1080 Ti, you'll draw well under 400W, so invest in a higher end PSU instead, like the Formula Gold, Whisper M or Straight Power 11. 

For gaming, especially at higher resolutions, the GPU is more important than the CPU. Getting a 1080 Ti Will benefit you more than an 8700. 

CPU coolers come with some thermal paste, the cables you need come with the PSU and motherboard. 

You could get something like this for less. Do keep in mind that the GPU price is £100 that what's listed, PCPP is broken with Amazon prices. 

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  (£149.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.99 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£149.99 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£79.19 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£59.99 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB iCX GAMING Video Card  (£527.73 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: be quiet! - Straight Power 11 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£86.39 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1218.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 00:54 BST+0100

The board was an aspect of future proofing, I did know it was overkill at the time. But lets say I kept the board I chose, then like 3 months down the line I change it up to a overclocked CPU, would the build you made still work out?

he HDD was mostly a placeholder seeing as I started making this build at 10pm and finished at 12pm, I was getting sleep deprived and threw w/e in there, I'll obviously be looking for something cheaper and retweaking the v1.0 of my pc build. Getting a build like this for only £1218 is very nice and I'm definitely keeping it saved for the future, thanks.

8 hours ago, seoz said:

Few things about your existing build list:
1. You need an aftermarket cooler, the 8700 is a hot processor so getting something like an Arctic Freezer 33 eSports for under $40, it's a worthy investment.

2. You should probably get a 1080 Ti if you want to ensure 4K 60FPS gameplay.

3. Why an 850 Pro? Unless you know you'll be transferring extremely large files back and forth, the read & write speeds are negligible. Getting a regular Samsung 850 is more cost-efficient.

I'll consider that cooler for the cpu, thanks. I'll also grab 1080ti, felt a bit like overkill to me but who knows what games will come out in the future. And yes I'll probably be transferring quite large files for work related reasons/moving files from one place to another. Did consider getting a regular 850 when it was on sale but that ship sailed lol.

5 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£269.99 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£143.99 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£51.59 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£86.78 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB iCX GAMING Video Card  (£637.00) from amazon.
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (White w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£68.50 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£66.53 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1419.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 03:44 BST+0100

Unless I'm missing something here this actually looks like a solid build, thanks. Do you think there's any minor tweaks I could/should do if I wanted the build to be better, even if I go slightly over budget? Trying to consider all my options

Just now, Krismatic said:

Unless I'm missing something here this actually looks like a solid build, thanks. Do you think there's any minor tweaks I could/should do if I wanted the build to be better, even if I go slightly over budget? Trying to consider all my options

you can get a modular PSU for easier cable management, but you can just cram the cables in the drive bays anyway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I suggest that you still get a K processor even if you don't want to overclock yet. There's not benefit to it, but you'll never know when you'll be tempted. At least you have the option. Here's a build I'd like you to see.

Water Cooled i7, GTX 1080 Ti, NVME SSD. This is going to be a seriously fast PC.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (£306.00 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING - FROSTFLOW+ 240 74.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£89.96 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£58.03 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£87.16 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB iCX GAMING Video Card  (£536.43 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£68.98 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: XFX - XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£80.99 @ Box Limited) 
Total: £1411.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 10:21 BST+0100

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

you can get a modular PSU for easier cable management, but you can just cram the cables in the drive bays anyway.

I'm not too bothered about messing with the PSU cables to make it "look better" so if I can cram cables into empty drive bays I'll probably do that

44 minutes ago, forregacc02 said:

I suggest that you still get a K processor even if you don't want to overclock yet. There's not benefit to it, but you'll never know when you'll be tempted. At least you have the option. Here's a build I'd like you to see.

Water Cooled i7, GTX 1080 Ti, NVME SSD. This is going to be a seriously fast PC.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (£306.00 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING - FROSTFLOW+ 240 74.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£89.96 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£58.03 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£87.16 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB iCX GAMING Video Card  (£536.43 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£68.98 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: XFX - XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£80.99 @ Box Limited) 
Total: £1411.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 10:21 BST+0100

Interesting build, however I don't think I'm ready to consider a water cooled system as of right now lol. At the moment I'm going with a more traditional/simple build since I don't want to overextend too much. I was thinking of saving the water cooled stuff for my 2nd pc build in the far future.