My PC will boot, but monitor says "no signal detected"?

mandrigald

I tried flossing it with the paper towel and it did help a bit, but I cant get it all off. In the Toms Hardware link you posted it said to completely submerge it in isopropyl alcohol, should I do that? If so, how long should I submerge it?

To be honest, I don't know. Until it comes off? Or becomes loose enough to wipe off.

I would only soak the area where the thermal paste is. I wouldn't want alcohol sitting around underneath the cpu heat spreader. (just means it will take longer to dry)

So what you could do is have it sit on it's pins in a puddle of alcohol that's high enough that it reaches the pcb of the cpu. And maybe check on it every 10min or so.

With the motherboard..... You can completely wash a motherboard in a dishwasher if you wanted to get rid of any thermal paste in the holes. (as long as you let it dry and take out the cmos battery)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

If the thermal paste cleaning doesn't fix the problem it could be the monitor running at too high of a refresh rate..

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

• 2 years later...

It could be, where exactly is the thermal paste? could you post a photo by any chance?

I've heard that conductive thermal paste can do this sort of thing.

And even then, I'm not 100% sure. Sometimes it's the simplest of things that can cause these problems. Like the motherboard connector is not in properly or something.

It's all about eliminating the possible factors.

EDIT: I just thought of something!!

I'm assuming there's no debug display on the motherboard? If not, do you have the little speaker connected to the motherboard? There should be a speaker that comes with any motherboard.

Plug that in and listen to the beeps when you turn it on.

I am having the same issue that Mandrigald is but when I plugged in the speaker and turned it on there were no beeps. I actually had this problem before and after trying different pcie slots and none of them working, one of them finally did. WTF? Also I had left my computer on, left for about 2 hours and when i got back my keyboard was still on and my mouse LEDs were on too. Do you have any suggestions.

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2013 at 7:17 PM, Hoppa said:

Hmmm.... Sometimes a no signal can occur when a heatsink isn't on properly, although when I think about it... it turns the computer off when that happens.

How about try re-seating your gpu. maybe try another pci slot

To detect if the computer is booting into windows, boot it up, wait until you think it's in windows. the tap the power button.

If it turns off straight away then it's not posting, if it turns off after 30sec or so then it's shut down from windows.

Another thing, try the 'auto refresh' on the monitor.

If nothing is working, strip it down to only the motherboard and cpu connected, and try and get a post to show up.

EDIT if you think gpu is dead, then open it up and re-apply thermal paste (may have separated and not connecting properly which makes the display not work (personal experience))

Hi there, 

I am facing the same problem. Computer boots up but monitor shows "no signal detected". Also tried connecting HDMI.

And just before i was having the problem my computer was booting upto welcome screen(windows 10), then tried booting up several times and ran to this problem.

On 2017-6-21 at 8:23 AM, Luke Ash said:

Hi there, 

I am facing the same problem. Computer boots up but monitor shows "no signal detected". Also tried connecting HDMI.

And just before i was having the problem my computer was booting upto welcome screen(windows 10), then tried booting up several times and ran to this problem.

You'll probably need to start a new thread so more people will be able to help.

You'll need to say if it's a newly assembled computer, state anything that was changed before it stopped working, tell us your motherboard, gpu, and monitor details.

1st, if your motherboard has a video output, use that, it may be a pci-e or a gpu problem in either hardware or software, so remove your gpu.

2nd if that doesn't work, you'll need to see if it's a hardware or software problem. Strip down the PC so it's just the motherboard, ram and cpu.

Go to your UEFI and make sure if it can maintain a picture on the screen. If it can't, try a TV or another monitor. See if there's anything wrong with the monitor.

Next, turn PC off, connect OS drive, then boot into windows with same setup. If the screen goes off while booting into windows then something with the OS is wrong.

If it boots into windows successfully then there may be a problem (software or hardware) with your discrete graphics. If this happens, then turn off PC, put GPU back in, but keep using the motherboard as the display output. When you boot back into windows, make sure windows can detect the GPU. You may have to update drivers or whatever. It'd be good if you could plug a second monitor into the gpu as well.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review