Samsung's Galaxy Note9 is official - 4000mAh battery, S Pen remote, 128GB/512GB storage

D13H4RD

akrales_180807_2718_0397.jpg

So, it's happened. The Galaxy Note9 is unveiled and if you've been watching the leaks, well, it's pretty much to little surprise.

The Note 9 will be sold in two configurations: there’s a 128GB / 6GB RAM model for $999 and a top-tier 512GB / 8GB RAM version for $1,250. Preorders begin on August 10th, and the phone will be available on August 24th at all major carriers or direct (and unlocked) from Samsung.

By looks alone, the Note 9 is nearly identical to its predecessor, save for the rear fingerprint sensor that has been moved to a more sensible spot below the camera. All of Samsung’s other hardware signatures like water resistance, fast wireless charging, expandable microSD storage, and the headphone jack are still here. (So is the Bixby button, for that matter.) Toss a 512GB microSD card into the 512GB Note 9, and you’ll have a phone with 1TB of storage. That’s nuts.

The Note 9 ships with Android 8.1 Oreo and the same user experience as Samsung’s last several phones. Samsung Pay is still present, and having the ability to mimic a credit card’s magnetic stripe at stores where NFC payments don’t always work is a nice fallback.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/9/17658576/samsung-galaxy-note-9-specs-price-release-date-camera-screen-battery-2018

The main feature is the upgraded S Pen, which now has BT LE and can be used as a remote. The pen lasts for 30 minutes and a single charge inside the phone takes 40 seconds. When the battery dies, the stylus can be used as normal, just without the remote functionality.

The biggest hardware upgrade aside from the storage is the battery, which is now at 4000mAh, making this the largest battery ever placed on a Galaxy Note device.

The battery is 4,000mAh, which is the largest that’s ever been in a Note. It also eclipses many of today’s other Android flagships. While the Note 7 recall disaster is in Samsung’s rearview mirror, it certainly hasn’t been forgotten. In addition to running the Note 9 battery through its own multipoint safety check, Samsung has had it validated and certified by outside companies UL and Exponent. So yes, the company came ready for your exploding phone jokes.

Like the Galaxy S9, the Note 9 is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 processor. But this time around, Samsung says it has made optimizations to the GPU. And get this: there’s a new water cooling system inside the phone. That might be the most overboard Galaxy Note thing I’ve ever heard of, but why not, right? It’s too early to know whether this is ultimately just a marketing gimmick, but the company says its “Water Carbon Cooling system” is designed to ensure smooth, consistent performance during long gaming sessions when you’re playing Fortnite. Yes, the unbelievably popular battle royale game is coming to Samsung devices first, and yes, you can get in-game bonus items if you opt for the Fortnite preorder package. (The other choice is noise-canceling AKG headphones.)

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/9/17658576/samsung-galaxy-note-9-specs-price-release-date-camera-screen-battery-2018

The camera is identical to the S9, but now has "AI-powered" automatic scene detection.

akrales_180807_2718_0121.jpg

The phone is priced at $999 in the US for 128GB of storage and 6GB of memory, and a whopping $1249 for the 512GB variant with 8GB of memory, which pits it right up against the iPhone X though with twice the storage.

IMO? Eh. The phone is actually way cheaper at where I live ($909 for the 128GB and $1129 for 512GB according to a newspaper ad) and I love the massive battery upgrade. But everything else was kinda expected. I wasn't expecting a radical upgrade from the Note8 and if I used the Moto Z still as a daily and never bought a Note8, then this would officially be my next daily driver. Except.....I already own a Note8 and it does everything I need it to do and them some. It has aged surprisingly well and it seems poised to deliver another year's worth of solid use. So I wouldn't be getting this phone but I know some who are.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, huilun02 said:

4000mAh is a feature now?

Xiaomi has had 4000mAh in their smaller $200 devices for a long time already...

For a Note and a Samsung flagship? Yeah.

The largest was 3600mAh on the S7 edge.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The biggest hardware upgrade aside from the storage is the battery, which is now at 4000mAh, making this the largest battery ever placed on a Galaxy Note device.

guaranteed the thing will still run out of power after a day , my phone lasts days on a charge idk why other phones run out so fast

43 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

$999? Christ. 

my car i bought 7 year ago was 1000$ , doubt the phone will be as useful or last as long lol. it's amazing what they price stuff at that they expect to only have a few year lifespan.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

guaranteed the thing will still run out of power after a day , my phone lasts days on a charge idk why other phones run out so fast

It actually might. That phone has components that need more power.

After a certain price point, I really don't see why people will continue to buy the phones. I can get the same performance out of something like a Oneplus 6 for half the price. What are you really paying extra for? A beautiful screen that wastes more battery life? Water resistance? Is that all worth over 500 bucks?

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Just now, Airdragonz said:

After a certain price point, I really don't see why people will continue to buy the phones. I can get the same performance out of something like a Oneplus 6 for half the price. What are you really paying extra for? A beautiful screen that wastes more battery life? Water resistance? Is that all worth over 500 bucks?

Here's the thing. No, it's not worth the premium.

But if you want the better screen or water resistance or a better camera or even the pen, you unfortunately have to fork up the premium.

The OnePlus phones are at the tipping point of diminishing returns. Because past that, the returns are much smaller for a significant increase in price.

The price though. Phones are getting more and more expensive and give little benefit for the huge price difference. A 300$ phone can do most of the things a 1000$ phone can do. I doubt the camera is 800$ better than a mid range phone. Neither is the processor, and a 4000mah battery should be a standard for flagships. They kind of announce it as a feature while they should say "Hey we caught up to the 150$ Chinese phones when it comes to battery capacity".

Anyways, thanks for the news OP!

8 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

You're paying extra for a Wacom digitizer, better QC, better privacy, and most importantly, to not get a Chinese device that cuts every corner and compromise at every possible point to maintain a too good to be true price.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The biggest hardware upgrade aside from the storage is the battery, which is now at 4000mAh, making this the largest battery ever placed on a Galaxy Note device.

only the biggest put in by samsung, i had a anker extended baterry on my S4, and with it the phone became so much better, more ergonomic no more worrying about the battery dying during the day, but i am super unlucky so i lost it a few weeks after that.

why cant we have thicker phones with good battery life :(

Everyone is saying the 4,000 is small yet the 3200 on my S8+ gets 2 says, 1.5 with heavy use. Yes its expensive as balls but the Galaxy phones have the most capabilities in terms of productivity or casual. 

999 reasons to say nope, and the glass back is part of them 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Sorry those prices are ridiculous. Over priced..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

18 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

only the biggest put in by samsung, i had a anker extended baterry on my S4, and with it the phone became so much better, more ergonomic no more worrying about the battery dying during the day, but i am super unlucky so i lost it a few weeks after that.

why cant we have thicker phones with good battery life :(

Doesn't count Note 1-4s with ZeroLemon packs obviously. xD

53 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You're paying extra for a Wacom digitizer, better QC, better privacy, and most importantly, to not get a Chinese device that cuts every corner and compromise at every possible point to maintain a too good to be true price.

I went from a s7+ to a 270 dollar Samsung j7. Couldn't even tell the difference tbh. Made me realize that flagship phones are way overpowered for what I do and are huge waste of money at least for me. 

Errr nothing..... really that game changing to up the price to 999$...

Idk why people are complaining about price when they know as well as I do these will sell like hot cakes. You get a much better feel with flagship phones than cheaper phones. Specs are not everything a phone has to offer at all.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Idk why people are complaining about price when they know as well as I do these will sell like hot cakes. You get a much better feel with flagship phones than cheaper phones. Specs are not everything a phone has to offer at all.

Actually, the S9 hasn't been a hot seller. I don't think the Note9 would be much different.

2 hours ago, emosun said:

my car i bought 7 year ago was 1000$ , doubt the phone will be as useful or last as long lol. it's amazing what they price stuff at that they expect to only have a few year lifespan.

did you also calculate in the insurance, maintance and gas costs in that 1000$ for your car?

i get that it's an insane ammount for the phone, but let's be honest, kind of a weird comparison 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Actually, the S9 hasn't been a hot seller. I don't think the Note9 would be much different.

Well, I’m sure some people will buy this. It’s still a solid phone if you are into big phones.

Since they're boosting battery capacity again just like they did with Note 7, can we be guaranteed that it will feature explosions? I'm not paying that kinda money unless it can double as an IED.

Just now, Trixanity said:

Since they're boosting battery capacity again just like they did with Note 7, can we be guaranteed that it will feature explosions? I'm not paying that kinda money unless it can double as an IED.

I presume it's using the new battery tech they hyped?

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It hasnt been because the S8 was a hot seller and the iterations are finally leveling off. 

This isnt a fucking bad thing that everyone thinks it is. 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

It hasnt been because the S8 was a hot seller and the iterations are finally leveling off. 

This isnt a fucking bad thing that everyone thinks it is. 

Note 9 probably won't sell too well based off the rumors of the upcoming S10 and foldable phone. Anyhow, I'm personally done with Samsung phones based on my poor experiences with their previous phones. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")