Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Discord are launching their own games store

Posted · Original PosterOP

Discord is expanding it's business from being a communication platform for gamers to a platform to buy games. In a post on their blog, Discord have announced a beta version of their store alongside free games with Nitro, a first on Discord programme and a centralised library from all of your installed games.

Today, we’re slowly rolling out a beta test to about 50,000 of our Canadian players and will be expanding to more over time. These players will see an upgraded version of Discord Nitro that has access to a curated selection of games along with the current subscription perks. They’ll also see a new Discord Store tab in the home screen with individual games for purchase.

Nitro Gets B-B-Boosted
For many people like us, you grew up during a time when there were a relatively small amount of games being released. We remember devouring Nintendo Power, PC Gamer, and other various gaming mags to get a sense of the titles coming out. We were always longing for the next best title. Always anxious to get our hands on something fresh.

Today, the problem has flipped on its head. There’s an abundance of fantastic games. Fantastic games that we missed. Games that we even purchased but never got around to playing.

We want to give you an easy opportunity to play the golden games you’ve missed and we want to offer an awesome selection. So, we’ve curated some of these golden games and will be adding them to Discord Nitro.

We’re excited to offer you the opportunity to catch up with amazing game experiences you might’ve missed and even mix up what you play with your friends from time to time.

Beyond Nitro — The Store
You ever been in one of those smaller boutique book shops with recommendations from employees written on little note cards? We love that hands-on personal approach to sharing great content with others. We think this kind of cozy neighborhood book shop vibe would be great for games. It reduces clutter and makes it easier to find what you want.

Alongside the upgraded Nitro, we’ll be launching a curated game store experience similar to one of those cozy neighborhood book shops with recommendations about the hottest and newest games from us to you.

We’ll be showcasing a variety of titles that we think you’ll like. As the store grows, we’ll rely on our community and our team to make the store feel super personal and focused on games that we genuinely think you’ll enjoy!

First On Discord
For our store, we’re excited to announce we’ll be supporting “First on Discord” titles — indie games that we’ve helped bring to life. Supporting indie games pushes the boundary of creative game design and is important to innovation and the long term health of the industry. Of course, we think the games are really cool too!

To be very clear, First on Discord games are temporarily exclusive. They’re literally first on Discord — usually 90 days and then the developers can sell anywhere else they want. This beta won’t have any First on Discord titles, but we’ll be showing off some soon!

One Convenient Library
One more surprise for today! We know it’s frustrating to have a bunch of game launchers, so we’ll be adding a Universal Library tab to the Discord home screen as well.

If you want, Discord can scan your computer for games. Then, you’ll be able to launch any of your games through Discord even if they require another launcher (Discord will boot the other launcher and game). This way, you don’t have to worry about which game boots from where!

A lot of Discord users have suspected something like this would happen for a while now. Outside of selling Nitro subscriptions and user data, they don't currently have a real money maker. I'd personally like to see the Discord platform developed so they can take on Valve and Steam to either get actual improvements to the established leader of PC game distribution or to actually overtake them. The current situation is getting messy as more companies are using their own platforms and launchers, potentially for financial reasons, and Valve aren't doing anything about it. The Steam client sucks and the Store is getting filled with more and more trash.

Source: https://blog.discordapp.com/the-discord-store-beta-9a35596fdd4

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

What is it with this platforms expanding into this kind of market? Can anyone explain?

Not here to argue, honestly curious.

Corsair C70|i7 3930K|Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz|Asrock x79 Extreme6|Samsung SSD 256GB|WD Green 3TB|Corsair H100i|Corsair TX750m |GTX 780 Palit Super JetStream (review here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54814-palit-gtx780-superjetstream-review/ )  -_-|

STILL LEARNING ENGLISH  :P  :P  :P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I LOVE the business model theyre going for, but damn. We don't need another launcher to run games off of.

Pretty much this, steam would be good enough. But no every game dev most have its own launcher :S .

My main gripe about discord is it's speed,TeamSpeak never took frames off my games but Discord certainly did. I know everyone here as enthusiast machines, but I don't want my PC losing frames because discord is running. 

Work Laptop: HP ZBook 15  i7-4800QM 16GB  Home Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 720s i7 8550u Phone: Galaxy S9  

CPU: i5 6500 GPU: GTX 1070 it Strix HDD: 1TB WD Blue SSD: 128gb 970 Memory: 8GB Crucial DDR4

I guess Steam will be killing Discord soon

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I'm cool with somebody who has no exclusive games backing the system getting into this market. That's really my main issue with Origin, uPlay, etc.

4 minutes ago, themaniac said:

I guess Steam will be killing Discord soon

Eh, Valve's attempt at copying Discord is pretty poorly executed, so I doubt that. It's more likely that Discord will bankrupt themselves by chasing unobtainium by creating their own game-store -- there have been a billion attempts at such already and most of those attempts have just slowly disappeared into the night.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Eh, Valve's attempt at copying Discord is pretty poorly executed, so I doubt that. It's more likely that Discord will bankrupt themselves by chasing unobtainium by creating their own game-store -- there have been a billion attempts at such already and most of those attempts have just slowly disappeared into the night.

I think all we really want is a rock solid stable collaboration platform streamlined for gamers.

Discord is doing an okay job, but I think they should focus on network and application stability, less on expanding their horizons for things we don't want from them.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon Radeon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

8GB DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

47 minutes ago, Johners said:

Discord is expanding it's business from being a communication platform for gamers to a platform to buy games. In a post on their blog, Discord have announced a beta version of their store alongside free games with Nitro, a first on Discord programme and a centralised library from all of your installed games.

A lot of Discord users have suspected something like this would happen for a while now. Outside of selling Nitro subscriptions and user data, they don't currently have a real money maker. I'd personally like to see the Discord platform developed so they can take on Valve and Steam to either get actual improvements to the established leader of PC game distribution or to actually overtake them. The current situation is getting messy as more companies are using their own platforms and launchers, potentially for financial reasons, and Valve aren't doing anything about it. The Steam client sucks and the Store is getting filled with more and more trash.

Source: https://blog.discordapp.com/the-discord-store-beta-9a35596fdd4

I can't see them ever taking over steam which is already so established. I mean you can talk smack about steam all day long but they have so much experience in the industry they won't be getting taken over so easily. Making a game hub aint easy 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Razer and now Discord? What's wrong with Steam, exactly?

DIOCLETIAN III : CPU: Core i7-8700K @5.0GhZ || CPU COOLER : BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 || MOBO : ASUS STRIX Z370-E || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync || SSDs: 970 EVO 250GB (Boot), 850 EVO 1TB, MX500 1TB | PSU: EVGA G2 850W w/CableMod cables || Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG RGB SE || Monitor: Acer Predator X34A ||  KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Browns) || Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero with deskpad || Audio: SteelSeries Arctis 5, Blue Snowball iCE || Case Fans : 3x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax ||

MAXIMIAN II  : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9GhZ || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master ML240L w/ Noctua NF-S12B Reduxes || MOBO : MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: Crucial P1 500GB, TeamGroup L5 Lite 3D 240GB || HDD: Barracuda 2TB || PSU: SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 650W w/ Cablemod extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 Black || Monitor: ACER KG1 1440p 144HZ || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow X Chroma TE  || Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 310 || Audio: HyperX Cloud Alpha || Case Fans : Noctua NF-S12B Redux x2, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 ||

LAPTOP - Dell XPS 15 9570: CPU: Core i7-8750H || GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB || RAM: 2*8GB SODIMM || SSD: 512GB M.2 SSD || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || Monitor: 15" 3840x2160 Touchscreen ||  KEYBOARD: Laptop keyboard  || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Audio: HyperX Cloud II

MARCUS AURELIUS II (HTPC) : CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.1 GhZ || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i Pro || MOBO : Gigabyte B450M-DS3H || GPU: MSi GTX 1660 Ti  || RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3000) || SSD: 850 Evo 500GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB || PSU: Corsair TX550M w/ CableMod extensions || CASE: Corsair 280X Crystal || Monitor: LG 65SK8000PUA 65" 4K TV || KEYBOARD: Corsair K63 Wireless || Mouse: Logitech M720 (Poor man's MX Master) || Audio: Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar || Case Fans : 1x Noctua P14S Redux, 1x S340 Elite case fan

TEST BOX  : CPU: Core i5-7500 || CPU COOLER : Enermax ET-ST40 Fit || MOBO : Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 Ti || RAM: 1x8GB G.Skill Aegis || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB || HDD: WD Green 500GB x2 || PSU: Corsair CX750M || CASE: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 || Monitor: ViewSonic 21.5" 1080p || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2016  || Mouse: HyperX Pulsefire || Audio: Some $20 Walmart special || Case Fans : 3x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 ||

OTHER : Old laptop (i5, iGPU, 500GB SSD) || Various Q2Q Dells || White MacBook with 240GB Inland SSD

MOBILE : Galaxy S7 (32GB + 64GB uSD) || iPad Air 2 || Rooted Kindle FIre 7" ||

Ongoing projects : PowerMac G5 conversion ||

Forum salt merchant so granted by @dizmo, Grand Deacon of the Glorious Brethren and Guardians of the Most High Overlords Asus and Arctic Cooling. All hail thy lord and savior the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE

14 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

Discord is doing an okay job

Can't comment on that, since I don't use Discord, but I'll take your word for it :)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

To me Discord crossed the "getting too big for their own good" point earlier this year, and this only confirms it. People go to Discord for a gaming communication solution. It will be tough for them to expand that into other areas, if not driven by the users in the first place.

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, G.Skill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Asus 1080 Ti Strix OC, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 2600, Noctua D9L, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 2x4GB, Vega 56, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, Crucial MX300 525GB, Acer RT280K

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6600k stock, Silverstone TD03-E, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-7800X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700HQ, i5-6600k, i5-5675C, i5-4570S, i3-8350k, i3-6100, i3-4360, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, R7 1700, 1600

30 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Valve should probably just buy Discord. It'd be cheap. Discord is pretty broke and they clearly don't have a monetization scheme that's looking viable.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Valve should probably just buy Discord.

It is possible that just getting someone to buy them off after they've grown in popularity and amassed a sizeable community with their free-as-in-beer services has always been the long-term plan. It's what quite many startups try to do, with varying levels of success. The game-store could just be an attempt at keeping the boat afloat until someone shows up at the door with a suitcase full of dosh. No way of knowing for sure, though.

So let me get this straight. People want always more competition, but when it comes to games, competition is bad if  it means having one more launcher? Best let Steam dictate the terms for all games, dictate DRM and be the only launcher that exists.

Just launch the damn game through steam. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So let me get this straight. People want always more competition, but when it comes to games, competition is bad if  it means having one more launcher?

Competition, when it comes to games, generally means exclusive games that aren't available on any other store and/or even another platform. That's not the kind of competition that is of any benefit to the gamers, only to the companies behind the stores.

Also, I find multiple launchers and stores inconvenient; it'd be less inconvenient, if they all used a chat-system that works across all of them, but as things stand, every single system maintains a separate chat-system with separate lists of friends and all.

3 minutes ago, porina said:

To me Discord crossed the "getting too big for their own good" point earlier this year, and this only confirms it. People go to Discord for a gaming communication solution. It will be tough for them to expand that into other areas, if not driven by the users in the first place.

Discord came up recently in another topic and I went looking. They're broke without a business model to make money from. They need to find someone to buy them.

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So let me get this straight. People want always more competition, but when it comes to games, competition is bad if  it means having one more launcher? Best let Steam dictate the terms for all games, dictate DRM and be the only launcher that exists.

Just launch the damn game through steam. 

People want competing Game Companies. They don't want competing Roads. Steam, the Launcher, is viewed more like a utility than a company. However, from Game Publishers, Steam just looks like an item that costs them money. The Industry & the Consumer have a very different view of Steam.

22 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

People want competing Game Companies. They don't want competing Roads. Steam, the Launcher, is viewed more like a utility than a company. However, from Game Publishers, Steam just looks like an item that costs them money. The Industry & the Consumer have a very different view of Steam.

27 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Competition, when it comes to games, generally means exclusive games that aren't available on any other store and/or even another platform. That's not the kind of competition that is of any benefit to the gamers, only to the companies behind the stores.

Also, I find multiple launchers and stores inconvenient; it'd be less inconvenient, if they all used a chat-system that works across all of them, but as things stand, every single system maintains a separate chat-system with separate lists of friends and all.

There are many things that don't work between them and I hate it, but I still want more choices where to buy games from. Who is to say Steam won't dictate more than their usual 30% cut on sell prices, and raise the game prices in general. Dictate their terms under which the game sell? Further push their unfair pricing policies? Even more axe their customer support for profits even though it is already far from good. Monopoly is not good in any way. It is the same here. 

Also many people do want more competition for Steam, even here. I've seen it it million times. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

25 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Discord came up recently in another topic and I went looking. They're broke without a business model to make money from. They need to find someone to buy them.

Good point... from my perspective as a user, there isn't anything I feel like I need or want to give them money for in its current state, but also recognise they need an income stream. I remain unconvinced that moving to a new service area is the way to do that, but I'm not sure how they could monetise their core service either without alienating their userbase.

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, G.Skill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Asus 1080 Ti Strix OC, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 2600, Noctua D9L, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 2x4GB, Vega 56, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, Crucial MX300 525GB, Acer RT280K

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6600k stock, Silverstone TD03-E, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-7800X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700HQ, i5-6600k, i5-5675C, i5-4570S, i3-8350k, i3-6100, i3-4360, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, R7 1700, 1600

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Good point... from my perspective as a user, there isn't anything I feel like I need or want to give them money for in its current state, but also recognise they need an income stream. I remain unconvinced that moving to a new service area is the way to do that, but I'm not sure how they could monetise their core service either without alienating their userbase.

Discord is a good product, but it comes from a failed game company's internal comms system. The problem is that they want to move into areas that are actually expensive to operate, which means they need a pretty high Revenue stream. They don't have a model for that, but, as I said, they really should be in talks to sell out to Valve. This move might straight up be an effort to push that type of deal forward.

31 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

However, from Game Publishers, Steam just looks like an item that costs them money. The Industry & the Consumer have a very different view of Steam.

Game developers like steam. It solves a lot of problems for them, it gives them a lot of infrastructure and a platform on which to sell. 

Game publishers are less fond of steam because it reduces the importance of the publisher and it means paying a revenue cut. Normally they put up with it because the increased sales from just being on steam outweighs the revenue cut that goes to Valve. That's why Ubisoft won't pull their games off steam even though they have uplay. Now EA and Bethesda havr decided that long-term they don't want to be reliant on steam even if it means less sales now, fair enough..

11 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

There are many things that don't work between them and I hate it, but I still want more choices where to buy games from. Who is to say Steam won't dictate more than their usual 30% cut on sell prices, and raise the game prices in general. Dictate their terms under which the game sell? Further push their unfair pricing policies? Even more axe their customer support for profits even though it is already far from good. Monopoly is not good in any way. It is the same here. 

Also many people do want more competition for Steam, even here. I've seen it it million times. 

To add to this we are the PC platform. We are defined by being an open platform where anybody is free to try and innovate. Which means even if I want to launch my own game store I can do so, nobody will stop me. This is what makes PC great, nobody owns the platform. If it were not for this fact Steam would never have been able to rescue PC gaming via digital distribution in the first place and PC gaming would have declined into a tiny niche like people used to predict 15 years ago. Yes this sometimes means that there will be multiple players competing like we have origin, uplay, gog, steam, battlenet and more. Sure it can get messy but people should realize that some stores will die, some will blossom and this is our strength on pc- the best will rise up over time.

If we go in the opposite direction we are consoles.