Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Discord are launching their own games store

18 hours ago, BlackMamba said:

What is it with this platforms expanding into this kind of market? Can anyone explain?

Not here to argue, honestly curious.

Steam; that's why

10 hours ago, kirashi said:

until someone develops a single unified experience.

That's never going to happen, since everyone wants their own storefront yadda yadda

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

No... 

No more launchers. I'm tired already of twitch, steam, uplay, origin, gog, blizzard, etc etc always auto updating and clogging up my system. They all just need to use steam and stop making their own stupid launcher. The only one to have any excuse might be gog's

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

if there's a launcher i'd love to see is Lutris on OSX

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

2 hours ago, Ginger_ said:

No... 

No more launchers. I'm tired already of twitch, steam, uplay, origin, gog, blizzard, etc etc always auto updating and clogging up my system. They all just need to use steam and stop making their own stupid launcher. The only one to have any excuse might be gog's

Steam takes 30% of the revenue from game sale. It's not reasonable to force every publisher giving money to steam. 

9 hours ago, mrthuvi said:

Steam takes 30% of the revenue from game sale. It's not reasonable to force every publisher giving money to steam. 

I'd wager they're 30% more likely to gain more sales though, due to it being steam and everywhere.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

13 hours ago, mrthuvi said:

And how much it costs to maintain all the servers and bandwidth?  Did you factor that in?

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

And how much it costs to maintain all the servers and bandwidth?  Did you factor that in?

And did you factor in that your comment is not relevant to my comment at all? How exactly would that forces publisher to use steam if they don't want to?

8 hours ago, Noctus said:

I'd wager they're 30% more likely to gain more sales though, due to it being steam and everywhere.

Due to it being steam you would have to compete with hundreds of thousand of game for a spotlight. If you are a less known indie dev, you game would be literally buried under thousands of asset-flip garbage.

Other clients have less audience but the publisher can control exactly how much exposure a game would get.

They are big publishers, you can be sure that someone somewhere did the math and decided that 30% was not worth it for them.

23 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

And did you factor in that your comment is not relevant to my comment at all? How exactly would that forces publisher to use steam if they don't want to?

It is relevant if it turns out that the cost of self host is greater than what steam charges for their service...9_9

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It is relevant if it turns out that the cost of self host is greater than what steam charges for their service...9_9

But it's still not relevant to my comment at all. It's still a paid service, whether the price is reasonable or not is not up to you to decide, but the publishers to consider. 

Useless bloat. I use Discord to talk to people, if I want to play games I'll use my console. This is why no one can take Discord seriously, they keep going the direction of a gamer platform and not a professional platform. I also hope this doesn't raise the price of Nitro.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:43 PM, Johners said:

Today, the problem has flipped on its head. There’s an abundance of fantastic games. Fantastic games that we missed. Games that we even purchased but never got around to playing.

We want to give you an easy opportunity to play the golden games you’ve missed and we want to offer an awesome selection. So, we’ve curated some of these golden games and will be adding them to Discord Nitro.

We’re excited to offer you the opportunity to catch up with amazing game experiences you might’ve missed and even mix up what you play with your friends from time to time.

(...)

For our store, we’re excited to announce we’ll be supporting “First on Discord” titles — indie games that we’ve helped bring to life

They make it sound more like GOG than Steam.

One more surprise for today! We know it’s frustrating to have a bunch of game launchers, so we’ll be adding a Universal Library tab to the Discord home screen as well.

If you want, Discord can scan your computer for games. Then, you’ll be able to launch any of your games through Discord even if they require another launcher (Discord will boot the other launcher and game). This way, you don’t have to worry about which game boots from where!

That sounds like something that will "accidentally" break every time one of those clients gets an update.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:50 PM, BlackMamba said:

What is it with this platforms expanding into this kind of market? Can anyone explain?

Not here to argue, honestly curious.

Man In The Middle gets Money In The Millions.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, Ginger_ said:

The only one to have any excuse might be gog's

Even better, GOG's launcher is completely optional so you can have a client-free PC as far as they are concerned.

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

“First on Discord” titles

Sounds like they will be bribing 3rd party game devs to obtain store exclusivity.

We don't need that cancer on PC. It's something that is normal in the world of consoles where Sony and Microsoft via for exclusive titles.

On PC for example EA may want to keep their own games only on Origin, and Valve may want to keep their own games only on steam. But neither of them bribe 3rd part devs to keep them off other store fronts. GOG doesn't either. For example if you accept funding from Valve it means that you have to launch on steam, but you don't have to launch exclusively on steam: you can also be on gog and origin etc.

The only people who have done this crap on PC are Microsoft with their windows store and Oculus.

10 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That sounds like something that will "accidentally" break every time one of those clients gets an update.

I don't think that will be an issue. All they have to do is make a shortcut to the game's .exe. The game contains the instructions for launching the client.

It's not like the shortcuts for games in the start menu breaks just because Steam or Origin decides to update.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think that will be an issue. All they have to do is make a shortcut to the game's .exe. The game contains the instructions for launching the client.

It's not like the shortcuts for games in the start menu breaks just because Steam or Origin decides to update.

I didn't know the games' exe launched the clients.

I don't know much about game launchers to be honest, having never used one.

Thinking about the way Discord is doing things makes me uncomfortable. They are a good software to talk to your friends when playing games. If they start selling games, I don't think I would buy from them. This is because I am already invested in steam. I don't think I would ever switch over to Discord. Discord will always be a voice chatting program in my eyes.