Soldering 0-4 guage wire

Beef Boss

How do you solder wires this thick? I don't have the tools to crimp copper connections this big, so I just use a ton of solder to fill in any crevices between the wire and connector with a torch. Is this wrong? 

These wires are used with my amplifier in my car. It's a 1500+ watt Amp powering two twelve inch subwoofers at 500+ watts a piece. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

8 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

How do you solder wires this thick? I don't have the tools to crimp copper connections this big, so I just use a ton of solder to fill in any crevices between the wire and connector with a torch. Is this wrong? 

These wires are used with my amplifier in my car. It's a 1500+ watt Amp powering two twelve inch subwoofers at 500+ watts a piece. 

You can use a large soldering iron they make something >400W irons just these types of applications but in general you can use a torch and add a lot of solder just be sure it doesn't creep excessively down the insulation you ideally don't want more than 1 times the diameter of the wire.

Get the tools. When dealing with loads that big you don't want it done improperly.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I usually use soldering gun for a wire that thick.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

37 minutes ago, DimasRMDO said:

I usually use soldering gun for a wire that thick.

I used a torch to heat the fitting and wire inside enough to melt solder and fill any little crevice inside it. I don't think this will ever fail, the soldering thingy we have aren't powerful enough they're not the gun types. 

What soldering gun would you recommend though? I do hate melting nearby stuff lol. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

14 hours ago, aki adaki said:

What soldering gun would you recommend though? I do hate melting nearby stuff lol. 

I've got this one and it works pretty nicely. I don't have a lot of information about other products though.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I have a few cheapo soldering irons that I usually keep for dirty jobs, including this, simply said, large beast of an iron that I've only used a couple times for any real purpose. I'm sure you can just find one in a shop for cheap, as there's nothing special about them. Just make sure to get one with a beefy flat tip, with lots of surface. Plug it in, wait a few minutes for it to heat up, and then use a generous blob of solder on the tip to more efficiently heat the wire up. It takes a full minute or two to heat the wire up, but if you keep poking at the point of contact with a flux core solder wire, as soon as the wire starts flowing in, you can do a nice weld with full control over flow by just approaching the iron as needed, then you won't be burning any insulation or let the solder creep under it. They do a great job at soldering thick stuff, and NO you likely don't need 400W irons, this one I'm talking about is more in the area of 65, it just can get a little slow to heat up, but it's dirt cheap - mine was under $10. I'd send you a photo of the thing, but it's in my garage, and besides, there's really nothing special about it. It's just large.

MOBO: MSI Krait Gaming X370 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X [4GHz @1.43V] | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz [2933MHz CAS 16]

GPU: ASUS GTX1060 6GB DUAL Series | SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB

CASE: Thermaltake Suppressor F51 | PSU: Corsair VS550 | COOLING: Corsair H60 [70°C Max @1400rpm] | DISPLAY: LG 29" Ultra Wide, BenQ 1080p Projector

MOUSE: Trust GXT31 MOUSE MAT: HyperX Fury | KEYBOARD: Logitech G510s | UNDERWEAR: HyperX

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 | HEADSET: HyperX Core Cloud | SPEAKERS: Behringer MS16, SONY HT-RT3

CPU-Z Validator: DUCKPC

Soldering wires that thick is a pain even with proper tools.  Preferred method is to use wire ferrules.  With the bigger wire you don't even need the crimp tool, you just use the set screw in the terminal.

This video explains is pretty good

If you must solder them, I would use a torch to solder instead of my 50w iron. Once to temperature, set the flame to low and apply solder to the other side of the joint. Also use heavy gloves because that wire will be hot for a long time after you're done.

ASU

When i was building ICE systems using 0 gauge, I found a hydraulic crimp tool on eBay for ~£25 and that was good enough with copper crimp on ring terminals.

Whilst waiting for the crimp tool to arrive, I needed to do some temporary connections and so used a hammer and bolster to crimp the terminals on - held plenty well enough :) the only issue was that it deformed the shape of the "cup" on the crimp terminals slightly, so didn't look the nicest...

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

I had to solder some 4 gauge wire for a connection between the terminals in my subwoofer's box and the sub itself. I bought a cheap soldering iron and some helping hands from Harbor Freight, and while they aren't the best quality they certainly did the job. I applied solder to the copper, which was twisted together and held in place by the helping hands. I soldered both top and bottom as best I could, and gave them a good pull - the connection was solid. I have had no problems with this connection over the past seven months. That being said, ideally I should have used heat-shrink tubing instead of electrical tape like I did.

Here's the resulting connection:

IMG_20180130_202532.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I used to install car audio for a living. What I would do is use a copper coupler or copper terminal ends. What I would do is insert the wire and crimp into the terminal. Then I would heat the end of it with a small torch and feed in solder to the joint. If you want to make it look more professional slide a piece of heat shrink over the end. Doing it this way I have never had a connection fail.

Flux is your friend! :)

You could just use a small blow torch to heat up the lug enough to melt the solder. Flux helps tremendously though. 

That picture above definitely doesn't look like 4 ga, 8 ga is more like it.

You can get a hydraulic crimp tool for like $30-35 on amazon and handles that gauge like a champ! Do yourself a favor and maybe spend like $50? on Amazon and get some decent solder and lugs, maybe a blowtorch. It will help you tremendously. You probably want 3:1 heatshrink as well, the 2:1 stuff is mostly crap unless you get good quality.

Feel free to PM me if you have more direct questions.

Get a connector and use a hammer to crimp it! (you don't need the tool from the picture)

One other option is tinn on the end of the cable and connect it directly!

If the connection is solid and not lose you won't have any problems. Just tighten everything!

Wire-splice-solderikng.jpg

s-l500.jpg