Selling My Laptop For Ryzen Mobile? - Need Opinions

Hey there, folks. I have an MSI GS63VR (6700HQ, GTX 1060) that I am really not happy with. Its display sucks, its speakers are awful (I would rather listen to my Game Boy Advance), and it gets ridiculously loud with a high pitched whine whenever I try to do anything on it. Regarding the speakers, one of them was blown out of the box and Best Buy wouldn't take it back since I already exchanged a previous one because of a dead pixel. So, I disconnected that speaker.

Additionally, I even replaced the display in my laptop because the original one was probably the worst TN I've ever seen. My replacement display came with a dim splotch right in the middle of it and the website I bought it from wouldn't let me replace it. So now I have a $1600 laptop which also gets so loud I can't really use it in class or anything (I'm a software dev major, so my work would put it under load), with one awful speaker and a defective display. I'm not using the older display because its backlight uniformity was worse than my replacement even considering the dark splotch in the middle.

Essentially, I was looking at selling my machine and getting something like a Ryzen 5 2500U or Ryzen 7 2700U laptop so I could still play games like Guild Wars 2 or Heroes of the Storm at school, nothing too crazy stressful, in a small enough form factor to fit in a backpack, and in a machine that has a low enough TDP so as to not get insanely hot and loud all the time. Are these reasonable expectations? Does anyone have any better ideas? Laptops aren't really my domain, so other options would be appreciated.

I was working with a budget of around $600-700, so that's why I was considering the Ryzen APU's. Probably the best graphics I can get in that price point?

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

I would suggest MX150 laptops like Acer Swift 3, noticeably better graphics performance

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

I would suggest MX150 laptops like Acer Swift 3, noticeably better graphics performance

I saw this video release just this morning. I'll be on the lookout for an MX150 machine with similar build quality to this laptop, but if I don't I'll probably go with this.

Given my previous woes with my MSI, a quality build is definitely something I'm looking for here. My brother has an older X360 model and I was thoroughly impressed for the price he paid.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

1 hour ago, Emberstone said:

I saw this video release just this morning. I'll be on the lookout for an MX150 machine with similar build quality to this laptop, but if I don't I'll probably go with this.

Given my previous woes with my MSI, a quality build is definitely something I'm looking for here. My brother has an older X360 model and I was thoroughly impressed for the price he paid.

The Envy 13 is good but I wouldn't pay the extra for the 2 in 1 form factor unless you need it. Speakers are brilliant with a little EQ and Screens are great quality if you pay a fair price but make sure the brightness is good. Also the metal scratches easily and gets dirty quickly. The screen is a fingerprint magnet as well.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:55 AM, Tarun10 said:

The Envy 13 is good but I wouldn't pay the extra for the 2 in 1 form factor unless you need it. Speakers are brilliant with a little EQ and Screens are great quality if you pay a fair price but make sure the brightness is good. Also the metal scratches easily and gets dirty quickly. The screen is a fingerprint magnet as well.

I'm more or less going with this simply because I've seen the HP Envy and Spectre line to be of pretty considerable quality, so I'm okay with paying a slight premium for the 2-in-1 if it means getting a build quality I like (my brother's X360 is a pretty awesome little machine).

I'm going to see if I can splurge a little bit for the Ryzen 7 2700U model so I can get better graphics in there, but that all depends on how much my current laptop sells for.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

18 hours ago, Emberstone said:

I'm more or less going with this simply because I've seen the HP Envy and Spectre line to be of pretty considerable quality, so I'm okay with paying a slight premium for the 2-in-1 if it means getting a build quality I like (my brother's X360 is a pretty awesome little machine).

I'm going to see if I can splurge a little bit for the Ryzen 7 2700U model so I can get better graphics in there, but that all depends on how much my current laptop sells for.

The Ryzen is good I would recommend undervolting it as soon as you get it to increase battery life by an hour at least also set separate performance plans.

I would recommend getting SSD storage and the Dark Ash colour to hide scratches.