Early 2006 iMac

I have an old iMac from early 2006 and it's almost junk due to not getting updates ect, I read somewhere a while back I can swap out the core duo for a core 2 duo and be able to update to more current os, also any idea which processor I'd be look for

1 minute ago, IrishDunner said:

I have an old iMac from early 2006 and it's almost junk due to not getting updates ect, I read somewhere a while back I can swap out the core duo for a core 2 duo and be able to update to more current os, also any idea which processor I'd be look for

What's the iMac called specifically? 

8 minutes ago, G0rg3us_fr33man said:

What's the iMac called specifically? 

It's literally called iMac early 2006. The only variations being the display size.

10 minutes ago, IrishDunner said:

These have soldered CPUs iirc. There's also a 2GB limit on the Core Duo and a 3GB limit on the Core 2 Duo. The Core Duo is trash, the Core 2 Duo can be hacked to run 10.8.5 mountain lion, which is old but still usable, or Windows 7 32-bit of course.

The 2007 and 2008 iMacs have the Intel socket P available to upgrade to Penryn CPUs. That upgrade will make it run Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave (with a special patcher), granted you have 4GB of RAM or more installed.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It's the first gen Intel core duo from 2016, hasn't gotten turned on in a while, just thought I'd try bringing some life back into it by upgrading the processor and throw in a SSD

Just now, NelizMastr said:

It's literally called iMac early 2006. The only variations being the display size.

lol Mac names are confusing xD 

1 minute ago, G0rg3us_fr33man said:

lol Mac names are confusing xD 

The internal model names are confusing. The Core Duo was iMac4,1 and the iMac Core 2 Duo was the iMac5,1. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The internal model names are confusing. The Core Duo was iMac4,1 and the iMac Core 2 Duo was the iMac5,1. 

I was sure I had seen that the core duo could be swapped out for the core 2 duo, ah well into the trash it goes

2 minutes ago, IrishDunner said:

I was sure I had seen that the core duo could be swapped out for the core 2 duo, ah well into the trash it goes

It can be done on Mac Mini but not on the Macbooks and iMacs. EXCEPT for the Core Duo model iMac.

2 minutes ago, IrishDunner said:

As it turns out, the Core Duo models indeed have a Socket M on the board. Max CPU would be the T7600 then.