4K Bluray Player

Hi,

I'm looking at entry level options for 4K bluray players and the two i've narrowed it down to are the LG UBK80 (250 AUD) and the Samsung UBD-M8500 (230 AUD).

The specs look basically identical with the only difference being the LG having support for 3D and the Samsung having apps on it (Youtube, Netflix, etc) but neither of those features would be overwhelmingly useful for me.

Does anyone have any input on either of these?

25 minutes ago, Impulse // Sam said:

Just get an Xbox One S?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just a reminder, apps like Netflix, YouTube can be downloaded for free so no need to worry about paying extra for those sort of items.  So, if you spring for the LG with it having support for 3D, then you can download the apps and have the benefit of both cards.

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just get an Xbox One S?

They're about 100 more for me and from what i've been told, the quality is lower on HDR content. In my case, it's more about the 100$ though lol. I would agree with you for most people or if a special could be found though :P

8 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Just a reminder, apps like Netflix, YouTube can be downloaded for free so no need to worry about paying extra for those sort of items.  So, if you spring for the LG with it having support for 3D, then you can download the apps and have the benefit of both cards.

Just finished a chat with LG support and they said its simply not possible to download apps on it.

3 minutes ago, Impulse // Sam said:

They're about 100 more for me and from what i've been told, the quality is lower on HDR content. In my case, it's more about the 100$ though lol. I would agree with you for most people or if a special could be found though :P

Just finished a chat with LG support and they said its simply not possible to download apps on it.

Find a used Xbox One S then?

Really wouldn't worry about HDR too much just yet.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Find a used Xbox One S then?

Really wouldn't worry about HDR too much just yet.

Gumtree (Aussie Craigslist) is full of idiots - all asking retail price lol

5 minutes ago, Impulse // Sam said:

Gumtree (Aussie Craigslist) is full of idiots - all asking retail price lol

Maybe just save up for it then, likely more useful in the long run than just a blu ray player.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Impulse // Sam said:

Sorry, my mistake.  I was under the impression the blu-ray players were actually cd-rom players for a computer.  Didn't know they were desktop players.

21 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Sorry, my mistake.  I was under the impression the blu-ray players were actually cd-rom players for a computer.  Didn't know they were desktop players.

They can be. But Blu Ray on PC is shit. Because of the encryption they use. I guess they keep changing the encryption keys so your only option is to buy Cyber Link's software. You cant just use VLC media player. OR you have to digitize the Blu ray disks and make them digital copies. Thats why everyone buys a standard bluray player for the TV. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 4 weeks later...

Listen, find a Lg 875 or Samsung 7500 4k player. They often are around $100 on sale, and unless you are going to the $250-300 mark for let’s say a Sony UBR800, then save your money on anything in between. Apps mean nothing to you and same with 3D. Save your money and buy 4k movies. 

I’ve owned the Samsung and lg mentioned, and I use the Sony 800 on my oled.