Updating to Radeon Adrenaline 18.8.1 killed my RX 580 ?

Greetings everyone,

My current setup:

• CPU --- AMD FX 6300
  • Motherboard --- Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 rev.3.0
  • GPU --- Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB
  • RAM --- Transcend 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz
  • OS --- Windows 10 Home Ver 1803 64-bit
  • GPU drivers before updating --- 18.7.1

This morning I received a notification from the Radeon software that a new version of my drivers is available and so I clicked at Express Install.

While the driver was being installed I was watching some random Youtube videos, 3 times during the installation the computer froze for less than 5 seconds which seemed weird but didn't worry me that much, so I let it finish normally.

But when the installation finished my screen turned FULL pink!

I reset and when Windows fully loaded after about 10-20 seconds my screen turned to pink again, or some other color not sure.

I thought a clean installation was the way to go and so:

• Downloaded and installed DDU,
  • Boot in safe mode and uninstall current drivers,
  • I installed 18.5.1 cause it was indicated as a stable release.

But even with the 18.5.1 the same thing happened, after 10-20 seconds the screen turned black or any other color. (Also tried clean installing 18.7.1 and 18.8.1 again).

The card's warranty was active so I went to the store I bought it from and they told me that they'll contact Sapphire about a replacement cause from what I explained to them the card must have died.

What frightens me now is that a simple driver update could kill my GPU ...

What're your thoughts on my situation?

Thanks in advance.

it is extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely that a driver that killed your card. it might just happen to be your card died right after a driver update.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Xysto said:

I had a very similar experience.  I decided to update my display drivers to the latest Radeon release 18.9.3, and I clicked the express install option.  The screen went immediately black with no way to get any display working. Regretfully, I didn't use DDU.  My bad.

I read a workaround from AMD support to remove the video cards and to use the MOBO VGA port. Didn't work. I then swapped PCIe slots for the 2- RX 580.  I was able to get the display working again, but the card from the primary slot is completely dead, The BIOS doesn't show any indication of the second RX 580, no LED Sapphire lights.  I used DDU and then reinstalled the Radeon drivers, now working OK on the RX 580 in the primary graphics card slot.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can revive my dead RX 580?

Thanks.

Try to install on a friend's or family members computer.  If it works fine on their system... then you know the card is physically fine and it's software related,  but if the card won't work in another system... then that tells you that the card is physically dead.  

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

OP's problem was with windows, his GPU was fine, and driver did not damage it.

see below

On 9/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, Alistairoh01 said:

I have an rx 580. When updating/ changing drivers, should I use ddu and then install drivers from amd’s website or is it ok for me to install from the driver settings. I just don’t want this to happen to me. 

?

Driver installs don't kill GPUs. GPUs can die randomly at any point though. If you want you can use ddu, it's not required. You can just use it to clean out old drivers periodically. But if it makes you feel better sure use it all the time...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 5:53 PM, Xysto said:

I