UPS Behind a Power Adaptor?

Hi all,

Wasn't quite sure where to ask this question so hopefully, this place is fine.

I am currently looking at a job prospect that would have me moving from Canada to the UK and while I know most of my electronics would be able to make the move (game consoles and PCs) I'm curious if I would be able to run a UPS (APC 1500VA) from NA behind a power adaptor. It's likely not recommended sure, but I'm just looking at it as an option to get me going while I go and buy all the new cables I need and buy a proper replacement UPS that is built for the voltage there. I have verified that neither of my 2 UPS' are 200+V compatible so if I could I'd like to have one run my desktop after moving there to get settled.

The only thing I can think of is if the adapter steps it down to the voltage the UPS is designed to run on. If it doesn't then it's not going to go well. If it does then make sure it's a decent quality one.

That's what I figured. I'm looking at this one currently: https://www.staples.ca/en/cyberpower-travel-adapters-a-c-g-i-trb1a2/product_2869001_1-CA_1_20001. It seems pretty solid and I've had good experiences with CyberPower before.

As I said though, I only consider this idea as an intermediary until I got new UPS' unless this is considered a fine practice then I might stretch it out longer, though I assume it's likely not considered as highly as just having native voltage support.

7 minutes ago, firrae said:

As I said though, I only consider this idea as an intermediary until I got new UPS' unless this is considered a fine practice then I might stretch it out longer, though I assume it's likely not considered as highly as just having native voltage support.

I'm familiar with people using these step-down adapters when they're tourists in a different country but I don't know about long term use if your new relocation is a permanent one. If you plan on spending months there I might look for a native voltage UPS but try to find one that says it works on your native countries lower voltage so when you go back home it's still usable without having to wire your house with a 225V breaker.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm familiar with people using these step-down adapters when they're tourists in a different country but I don't know about long term use if your new relocation is a permanent one. If you plan on spending months there I might look for a native voltage UPS but try to find one that says it works on your native countries lower voltage so when you go back home it's still usable without having to wire your house with a 225V breaker.

So am I when it comes to normal travel. Though this would be a permeant, or as permeant as moving for work can be, relocation so it would be only interim until I got a chance to get a new one. As for finding one that would work across voltages I haven't found many, none I'd actually rely on, that do. It seems UPS' are fairly specific to the input voltage; at least in my 30 minutes of searching around so far.

2 hours ago, firrae said:

So am I when it comes to normal travel. Though this would be a permeant, or as permeant as moving for work can be, relocation so it would be only interim until I got a chance to get a new one. As for finding one that would work across voltages I haven't found many, none I'd actually rely on, that do. It seems UPS' are fairly specific to the input voltage; at least in my 30 minutes of searching around so far.

Well, for long term reliability a native UPS would be preferred. I don't have experience with a lot of these plug adapters but there are a lot of dodgy ones out there and I wouldn't trust them on high current draw appliances.