Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Techicolors

Fallout 76 PC version will not launch on Steam, instead on Bethesda.net

Posted · Original PosterOP

Bethesda has officially confirmed that Fallout 76 will not be released on Steam, and will instead release as a store exclusive on the publisher's standalone Bethesda.net storefront.  

In the company's Fallout 76 B.E.T.A (Break-it Early Test Application), Bethesda plans to offer players access to the full game and allow their progress to be transferred to the entire game at launch. B.E.T.A access is guaranteed for all players who pre-order the game on the PlayStation Store, the Xbox One Store and on Bethesda.net. 

Beta Access will be granted to Xbox One players first, followed by other platforms. At this time, Bethesda has not revealed when the game's beta will launch. This makes Fallout 76's B.E.T.A feel more like Early Access than a traditional Beta, given its paid for nature and included content.  

it is also listed in the FAQ for the B.E.T.A.

A: The B.E.T.A. will be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and on PC (via Bethesda.net). Stay tuned for exact timing for each platform here and @Fallout on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Please note that the B.E.T.A. for Xbox One will begin first, followed by other platforms.

As for my opinion, it is annoying to now have to manage another client just to play a pc game. and i feel like Beth's reasoning is to further push paid mods, as the storefront is more accessible. 

https://fallout.bethesda.net/faq

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/fallout_76_won_t_be_released_on_steam_-_pc_version_will_be_exclusive_to_bethesda_net/1

Good. Fewer ads for shitty games every time I open Steam.

Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

Pyo.

Separate launchers for everything does seem to be the trend for the last few years. And if that is the way it is going to be so long as I can prevent the launcher from automatically starting with my computer I think I am ok with it. Not optimal, but livable.

8 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

We need something like MoviesAnywhere for games.

What could be written is an interface that lists all your existing games, whereby you launch the one you wish to play, and the program opens the correct client, and then when you are done playing said game, closes said client.

We could call it something like GMI "Game Management Interface"

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

What could be written is an interface that lists all your existing games, whereby you launch the one you wish to play, and the program opens the correct client, and then when you are done playing said game, closes said client.

We could call it something like GMI "Game Management Interface"

I would prefer all clients from different services being able to deliver all the games of the participating companies. 

If it were any other game I would care, but I know I'll buy pretty much every bethesda game that comes out so I can live with downloading their launcher too I guess.

also, steam takes 30% wtf ? no wonder 

edit: this could actually mean the game will be cheaper too.. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

14 minutes ago, Cornontheecob said:

OMG! 1 possibly 2 more mouse clicks to play this game! the insanity. How could they be so inconsiderate? /s

Just having a launcher causes this effect, regardless of who it is through. I think the majority of the issue more lies in how many launcher programs do we really want running on our computers.

I dream of the day for cross platform and cross content platform purchases so you can pay once and play it on console or PC and also have your choice of game library management platform instead of the constant "Hey we have one now too, oh you want it on the one you already use? Too bad ours only".

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I dream of the day for cross platform and cross content platform purchases or you can pay once and play it on console or PC and also have your choice of game library management platform instead of the constant "Hey we have one now too, oh you want it on the one you already use? Too bad ours only".

The irony that I agree with you, despite such a platform being a monopoly, which I despise.

Although I'd prefer people realize that consoles are just stupified PC's that only exist still because of exclusivity, and people educate themselves to use actual computers.

Seriously exclusivity is the only thing consoles have remaining.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

Well I know what I won't be playing when fallout 76 launches

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

Well I know what I won't be playing when fallout 76 launches

World of Warcraft?

I'm jk, yes, I still play wow.. and yes this is a delimma for me... New Wow expansion hits in 2 weeks, but will I still play it when Fallout 76 comes out? I really only have time for one "MMORPG" in my life.

1 hour ago, AntiTrust said:

If it were any other game I would care, but I know I'll buy pretty much every bethesda game that comes out so I can live with downloading their launcher too I guess.

also, steam takes 30% wtf ? no wonder 

edit: this could actually mean the game will be cheaper too.. 

30% is normal.

And the game won't be cheaper, lol.

We've known that Fallout 76 was only going to be on the Bethesda launcher from the minute that the beta was only through their software. This is kind of old news.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

Valve's 30% cut is standard for a retailer/ platform. Competition is good but fuck having like 8 launchers. I will tolerate this but if they push mods (Not for 76 obviously) to bethesda.net only I'm gonna be triggered

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

ugh i dont want to have to download a bajillion launchers 

I know.  I have Origin[Use to play BF on here, but I don't care for them too much], Uplay[Rayman], Steam[tons of games], Battle.net/Blizzard App[Destiny 2], GOG Galaxy[Barely use it], Desura[Got a free game for this], Hi-Rez[Smite], Bethesda Game Launcher[Quake Champions yet I play it on Steam more], and the Epic Games Launcher[Unreal].

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

2 hours ago, lazypc said:

Separate launchers for everything does seem to be the trend for the last few years

Well, every game used to be its own separate install back in the day, it's just trending back towards that (with the added addition of "launchers" so the publishers can advertise their other games now).  I only accepted Steam because it was far more convenient at the time (still is, really), but I'm fine with multiple launchers so long as I can turn them off when not in use.  If I have to jump through hoops to shut them down, that's when I'll care.

Meh.  Wasn't going for it anyway.  Multiplayer survival's not my cup of tea.  Had loads of fun with modding Fallout 4 though, can't wait for the Fallout Miami mod.

fallout 1 and 2 were better...