Fallout 76 PC version will not launch on Steam, instead on Bethesda.net

Techicolors
2 hours ago, Sakkura said:

30% is normal.

And the game won't be cheaper, lol.

no its a rip off and yes it might be. 

thanks for your comment though ?

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

So basically console players will be able to boast about their - mostly - united gaming profiles?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Meanwhile, I'm just hoping GoG becomes a big alternative 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'm ok with Steam.  I'm ok to a much lesser extent with Origin (though I wish they'd give up desecrating the Origin name).  Steam at least will let me add non-Steam games to the menu for organizational purposes.

*sees the topic of people saying more client comp is better Vs. more people using a few key players to keep organisation neat...*

Lemme see what launchers & services I have... Steam, BNet, Origin, uPlay, Arc, GOG Galaxy, BethNet, HiRez, SWTOR, ESO, Twitch...

Yeah, whilst I can kinda understand BIG name companies like Valve, Blizzard, Ubisoft & EA having their own dedicated multi-game clients, not every semi-major game put out needs a client & launcher dedicated to it outside of studios like Arc/Perfect World (home of Cryptic Studios games like Star Trek Online, Champions Online and Neverwinter, along with Perfect World International, Elsword and Forsaken World) so having most of your games using a service and client such as Steam does technically generate a monopoly it's also convenient-as-hell for the end-user to only have to deal with maybe 2 or 3 services for most of their gaming needs.

As for the original topic of Fallout 76 being BethNet-only on PC? Honestly who is really shocked Bethesda would pull this move and keep all the revenue from it for themselves whilst probably making the end-user pay $60USD+ for the damn game?

2 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

The game absolutely will not be cheaper. The only reason they're doing this is to keep 100% of that $60 charge so none goes to Valve

i hope every major publisher does the same, i prefer to give all the money to Bethesda to invest in better games then 30% for Valve. Not only is a waste of money as i prefer Valve isn't swimming in money and start to do games again to survive. 

People complaining about mouse clicks and stuff, just create a macro and ask for a "closing the game closes Bethesda software" option

10 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

The game absolutely will not be cheaper. The only reason they're doing this is to keep 100% of that $60 charge so none goes to Valve

It could be sold cheaper and put on sale for cheaper and dlc could be cheaper too. I talked to Todd Howard about this and he agrees

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Fuck launchers in general.

Whatever happened to just having the game install on the computer? We didn't need launchers because our "launcher" was the Windows start menu. All games in a single list. It used less resources (seriously, how come all launchers are so fucking bloated?), was way faster (game starts as soon as you click the shortcut, rather than have to wait for the launcher to start, then dick around in a bunch of menus) and didn't have a billion ads in them.

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Whatever happened to just having the game install on the computer? We didn't need launchers because our "launcher" was the Windows start menu. All games in a single list. It used less resources (seriously, how come all launchers are so fucking bloated?), was way faster (game starts as soon as you click the shortcut, rather than have to wait for the launcher to start, then dick around in a bunch of menus) and didn't have a billion ads in them.

Steam does add game update capabilities, which can be a background service instead, and an easy market place. So really you could only need to open Steam application if you wanted to buy something.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Good. Fewer ads for shitty games every time I open Steam.

You can disable it....

57 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

that's how pirates do it. :D

3 hours ago, Technous285 said:

*sees the topic of people saying more client comp is better Vs. more people using a few key players to keep organisation neat...*

Lemme see what launchers & services I have... Steam, BNet, Origin, uPlay, Arc, GOG Galaxy, BethNet, HiRez, SWTOR, ESO, Twitch...

Yeah, whilst I can kinda understand BIG name companies like Valve, Blizzard, Ubisoft & EA having their own dedicated multi-game clients, not every semi-major game put out needs a client & launcher dedicated to it outside of studios like Arc/Perfect World (home of Cryptic Studios games like Star Trek Online, Champions Online and Neverwinter, along with Perfect World International, Elsword and Forsaken World) so having most of your games using a service and client such as Steam does technically generate a monopoly it's also convenient-as-hell for the end-user to only have to deal with maybe 2 or 3 services for most of their gaming needs.

As for the original topic of Fallout 76 being BethNet-only on PC? Honestly who is really shocked Bethesda would pull this move and keep all the revenue from it for themselves whilst probably making the end-user pay $60USD+ for the damn game?

It also wouldn't be convenient as hell anymore if Steam decided they didn't like you and banned you, or if Steam decided they didn't want to be a publisher/distributor anymore and wanted to sell all fishing equipment instead. All your games would be gone forever because more than likely that's where all of your library is. This would be a much less dangerous scenario if your library were spread out over multiple ecosystems.

Way back when PC games were tied to the owner simply via a CD key, if "something happened" i.e. the company who makes the game goes bust and kills the servers, you get banned because of some dumb rules, etc., you lost access to that one game and that was it. This style of distribution is never coming back for obvious reasons. As it is right now probably 90% of the PC crowd have 90% of their games on Steam (complete bullshit numbers of course but you get my point), it's not a bad thing for you to have more options in terms of places to buy games from.

Bethesda are a big enough company that they don't need Steam anyway, but it is interesting to see that they opted to make the game exclusive to their platform rather than for example a Ubisoft type deal where it's on Uplay and Steam. People will piss and whine but if someone wants to play the game they probably aren't going to decide against it because of another dumb program shortcut cluttering their desktop. There was anarchy when BF3 launched on Origin and forced you to use Chrome for the server browser, now no one cares about Origin anymore.

6 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

It's the standard retailer fee in the industry. And Bethesda running their own launcher will incur many of the same expenses, so it's not like they just get that 30% as extra profit.

It's very naive of you to think they'll lower the price because of this.

20 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

There was anarchy when BF3 launched on Origin and forced you to use Chrome for the server browser, now no one cares about Origin anymore.

And to this day I still don't play BF games anymore. Long time player since the series began, big fat nope now. Not just BF though, I also stopped playing any games online that don't have dedicated servers so suffice to say I don't really play any FPS games online anymore. I'm fine with both, in fact both is better but no dedicated servers is nothing but awful.

Moved to PC Gaming.

Does not comply to the Tech News section

What's missing:

• The news needs to be explained in your own words.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You can disable it....

I want ads for games, just not shitty games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I want ads for games, just not shitty games.

Gabe just told me to ask you what games do you want to see in the ads, send a list please. So you only see ads for games you like. :dry:

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Gabe just told me to ask you what games do you want to see in the ads, send a list please. So you only see ads for games you like. :dry:

well i wouldn't mind if they just didn't show the games on sale that i already have, or have clicked the Not Interested checkbox on.

that wouldn't be to hard?

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

What's missing:

• The news needs to be explained in your own words.

i did, it's at the bottom of the OP 

24 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

well i wouldn't mind if they just didn't show the games on sale that i already have, or have clicked the Not Interested checkbox on.

that wouldn't be to hard?

Well, it's Valbe, the last things they did right were cult classic games L4D2 and Portal 2.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Well, it's Valbe, the last things they did right were cult classic games L4D2 and Portal 2.

don't forget to mention holding your wallet hostage.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

12 hours ago, lazypc said:

World of Warcraft?

I'm jk, yes, I still play wow.. and yes this is a delimma for me... New Wow expansion hits in 2 weeks, but will I still play it when Fallout 76 comes out? I really only have time for one "MMORPG" in my life.

Man I can't play that either after legion was made to be a time unlock mobile based game.  Time based mobile style gating is horrendous

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

And to this day I still don't play BF games anymore. Long time player since the series began, big fat nope now. Not just BF though, I also stopped playing any games online that don't have dedicated servers so suffice to say I don't really play any FPS games online anymore. I'm fine with both, in fact both is better but no dedicated servers is nothing but awful.

I'm a pleb who only rolled into the series when BFBC and BFBC2 swung around, I enjoyed those a lot but BF3 onwards didn't hold me. I don't think Origin has a lot to do with dedicated servers though, even so I'd forgive a great game for having a shitty annoying clutter utility I have to run.

5 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Man I can't play that either after legion was made to be a time unlock mobile based game.  Time based mobile style gating is horrendous

f you pathfinder