Low noise adapters

Dariru

Does anybody know where you can get low noise adapters to reduce the RPM of your fans?

I can't really find anyone that really sells low noise adapters. NCIX doesn't carry them and NewEgg doesn't either.

You might be able to find off ebay but be warned buy at your own risk. The only way I think you can low noise adapters is by buying new case fans. Most of the premium or reputable brands that have well known case fans like Noctua or Corsair will have low noise adapters that come with their fans.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

They do seem a bit hard to find... ebay maybe?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Has anybody tried the method on silentpcreview?

yeah i used a ghetto 5v adapter from 4pin molex works great just remember never plug it into anything other than fans

Perhaps not the most reliable option, but I'm sure you'd find something affordable and useful on ebay. Otherwise, most new premium fans (Corsair, Noctua etc) come with at least one...

There are some on Amazon, but they're at least 4-5 bucks. Not worth it; making ghetto ones from molex fan adapters is your best bet.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Most known european stores have them for a couple of €. They are easy to find.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

buy some molex splitters and solder some resistors or diodes into them (most diodes pull the voltage level down with about 0,6-0,7V, so i recommend a resistor). which resistor you need, has been showed in one of linus' noctua unboxings recently.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

I've used the 5V mod for years. Works great. I usually reverse the red and yellow on both molex plugs incase I forget and plug something into it. :P

I've never tried the 7V mod as I am concerned what it might do to the PSU.

buy some molex splitters and solder some resistors or diodes into them (most diodes pull the voltage level down with about 0,6-0,7V, so i recommend a resistor). which resistor you need, has been showed in one of linus' noctua unboxings recently.
Make sure you get a resistor with the appropriate WATTAGE rating. IIRC it needs to be at least a 1W resistor. Otherwise your resistor will burn.

It's actually a bit tricky to exactly calculate the resistance needed to reduce your fan to a certain RPM. It's dependent on the amperage of the fan and the resistance of the fan while running. The 5v or 7v mod does work as per silentpcreview, but I prefer to use LNAs myself.

Noctua uses 82 ohm resistors in their blue LNAs and ~51 ohms in their black LNAs. It looks like they are 1/2 watt, but the 82 ohm only drops the NF12s(0.09a) to 9v, so 3v x 0.09a = 0.27w. If you want to build your own LNAs, pick up some 25-250 ohm resistors and if you want to drop to 7v or less, make sure you get 1watt resistors.

Why not get a Fan controller?

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Linus did the 7v mod in one of his videos, so I just did it and everything is going. If something happens you can blame Linus:p

=

They do seem a bit hard to find... ebay maybe?
eBay has some, 5 for under $5.

http://www.quietpc.com/ You're welcome. :) (They're in the case accessories section - Zalman 7V adapters)

there ya go!

Why not get a Fan controller?

If you are talking manual then you shouldnt cuz they are ugly.

If you are talking manual then you shouldnt cuz they are ugly.

That's actually one reason why I don't want a fan controller.

Thanks for the help everyone :D

The resistor you need was shown in the live stream where Slick was sick and Linus was doing it by him self. The colours are gold black blue green. I'm parity sure it's a 53 ohm resistor but don't quote me.

Low noise adapters aren't as common as they should be. Most of the time, they come with the fans that you buy. I'm sure you'll be able to find a couple on eBay or Amazon.

• 4 years later...

Anybody know what resistance I would have to solder to a cable to make one myself ?

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1