If you run something as a service, like a server....

AustinTheIntern

Will it still be up and running when you put your computer to sleep? 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

No when you put your comp to sleep wifi/ethernet turns off and your comp goes to a low power state

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

They are robots. They don't sleep.

No when you put your comp to sleep wifi/ethernet turns off

So I just have to keep my computer on idle?...there's not a lower power state I can put my computer into? 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

So I just have to keep my computer on idle?...there's not a lower power state I can put my computer into?

not that i know of, just leave it on and turn off the monitor

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Servers should still have lower power states, like any other pc does. They are still computers, and as some say, robots. It'll likely take low power, and also deliver low power, such as windows power options ^-^

-GASP-

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Servers should still have lower power states, like any other pc does. They are still computers, and as some say, robots. It'll likely take low power, and also deliver low power, such as windows power options ^-^

-GASP-

I'm not really sure how to word this, but servers in the real world with real applications really don't care about power and having a low power state. They're all about processing power, reliability, cost efficiency and most importantly, uptime. That, and said servers don't run Windows for personal computers ;). Linux, because screw licensing fees.

welp honestly i guess the only good solution here is to run your server, put the comp to sleep, and see if you can access the server, if you cant try stand by, hibernate etc, if they all fail then the comp needs to be on :)

I'm not really sure how to word this, but servers in the real world with real applications really don't care about power and having a low power state. They're all about processing power, reliability, cost efficiency and most importantly, uptime. That, and said servers don't run Windows for personal computers ;). Linux, because screw licensing fees. ^-^

I understand. But what I said, is that their is always way to cut short on power consumption, with a big hit to performance, still maintain efficiency. I understand what you are saying, no expert, but I understand.  ;)

-GASP-

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

You look pretty......

...I know. Please don't overwhelm your self.  ;)

I'm not really sure how to word this, but servers in the real world with real applications really don't care about power and having a low power state. They're all about processing power, reliability, cost efficiency and most importantly, uptime. That, and said servers don't run Windows for personal computers ;). Linux, because screw licensing fees.

Oh you should just know how many servers are running Windows. Not as many as Linux servers, but there are a lot! Most of them probably serve ASP.NET websites or similar. Also take the entire Azure Cloud Microsoft has, it is also running on Windows.

Oh you should just know how many servers are running Windows. Not as many as Linux servers, but there are a lot! Most of them probably serve ASP.NET websites or similar. Also take the entire Azure Cloud Microsoft has, it is also running on Windows.

Yeah, I'm aware of that but the amount of servers running open source software with zero licensing outweighs it by a mile. Don't know why shops set up with Microsoft based technologies with all their fees. I work for a small company and we're completely non-dependent on licensed products. It's a mixture of Open Source stuff and in-house tools.

... Don't know why shops set up with Microsoft based technologies with all their fees. ...

I think it comes down to what the developers and project leaders are familiar with.  

We had a large project (a few years development with millions of lines custom code) with tons of resource staff and contractors.   It was decided in the beginning by management to use Windows servers (because thats what the leads were proficient in).    Later it was "discovered" that IBM (vendor of the product) would not license support if on Windows.  Doh!  Our company considered continue with Windows servers (since they had put so much time and money into it) or switch to Linux.  Ultimately they decided to switch to Linux servers.   That switch began about a year into the project.

"How did it get that far?"   When management made the decision to use windows servers, they were being led by a VERY persuasive and likable young fellow with a PHD.  And with the amount of custom code, it was argued that IBM wouldn't be able to support the product anyway.   Most of management blindly followed his decisions.  It was about a year in the project when I first heard that we were going to being switching from Windows to Linux and why.  

Yeah, I'm aware of that but the amount of servers running open source software with zero licensing outweighs it by a mile. Don't know why shops set up with Microsoft based technologies with all their fees. I work for a small company and we're completely non-dependent on licensed products. It's a mixture of Open Source stuff and in-house tools.

Because Microsoft has a better sales department  ;)

"How did it get that far?"   When management made the decision to use windows servers, they were being led by a VERY persuasive and likable young fellow with a PHD.  And with the amount of custom code, it was argued that IBM wouldn't be able to support the product anyway.   Most of management blindly followed his decisions.  It was about a year in the project when I first heard that we were going to being switching from Windows to Linux and why.  

That's unfortunate :(

Not sure how they beat $0.

Haha, Their products sell their self's. 

Ahh I agree with you but I suppose it comes down to support (Not like MS gives support if you know what I mean, :P) and what the people have used before.

So you are saying that having no sales department, to find potential customers, help them choose the appropriate product and inform them about the various solutions. Opposed to majority of OSS, which has neither of that, which potential customers need to find out about themselves is better?

Anyways, this is going a bit too off topic, so maybe we should stop this discussion about MS vs. OSS here.

You guys went off topic.

To the OP:

No, you cannot put your windows PC/server to sleep mode or hibernation if you want it to stream or provide services to other machines. I has to be ON, it can have its screen turn off, if you put it into low power mode, your services operating on that machine can start to operate not optimally (e.g. start to drop frames when streaming media).