Is it possible to use Foxtel (Pay TV) with Plex DVR? (HDHomeRun)

So I've been using Plex for a long time now, and I'm looking into getting a HDHomeRun Connect Quatro to watch Freeview TV on Plex.

(Freeview = Australian Free to Air Channels)

However, there is something that I've been researching and wanting for a long time now. To be able to hook up my Foxtel IQ2 with Plex.

(Foxtel IQ2 = Australian Cable Pay TV Set-top Box - Uses a cable card)

Everywhere that I've looked says that the card cant be read by other DVR's as it's too encrypted.

So is there a way to rebroadcast it un-encrypted through my network, like hotels do with their cable TV, or is there some sort of software where I can use a IR blaster and a capture card and get Plex to switch channels? Although that's pretty ambitious.

So, any ideas?

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

14 hours ago, NPSTR107 said:

So I've been using Plex for a long time now, and I'm looking into getting a HDHomeRun Connect Quatro to watch Freeview TV on Plex.

(Freeview = Australian Free to Air Channels)

However, there is something that I've been researching and wanting for a long time now. To be able to hook up my Foxtel IQ2 with Plex.

(Foxtel IQ2 = Australian Cable Pay TV Set-top Box - Uses a cable card)

Everywhere that I've looked says that the card cant be read by other DVR's as it's too encrypted.

So is there a way to rebroadcast it un-encrypted through my network, like hotels do with their cable TV, or is there some sort of software where I can use a IR blaster and a capture card and get Plex to switch channels? Although that's pretty ambitious.

So, any ideas?

There are models of the HD Home run that use Cable Card. Cable cards decrypt the channels for you. Assuming you guys use that tech. How well cable cards work, depends on the provider. I know many providers might make you jump thru some hoops or have very little in terms of support. But if the channels are encrypted, cable card is the only way I know of. And those are only given out by your Cable Co. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

There are models of the HD Home run that use Cable Card.

From what I have found out, there is a HDHomeRun Prime that uses cablecard. However, from my reasearch, I think that even with the Foxtel CableCard (which I do have) it is still unable to decrypt the premium TV channels.

Disappointing ;(

There is a way that I know of, but it would cost heaps. (Which is the way that the hotels do it in Australia).

x = how many channels you want

Get x amount of subscriptions

Get x amount of boxes

Get x amount of composite cables

So, literally a box for every channel haha

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

5 hours ago, NPSTR107 said:

From what I have found out, there is a HDHomeRun Prime that uses cablecard. However, from my reasearch, I think that even with the Foxtel CableCard (which I do have) it is still unable to decrypt the premium TV channels.

Disappointing ;(

There is a way that I know of, but it would cost heaps. (Which is the way that the hotels do it in Australia).

x = how many channels you want

Get x amount of subscriptions

Get x amount of boxes

Get x amount of composite cables

So, literally a box for every channel haha

See TV died with me when Tech TV died. We cut the cord over a year ago and dont intend to return to cable tv. Because we were sick of paying over $30 for boxes. We now are with Hulu Live TV and Netflix. And we are still saving money as Cable costed more. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.