What phone to buy?

Favebook

Firstly, I'd like to start by saying that Sony was my all time favourite brand for phones. And I am sadly admitting that they might not be the best option for me right now.

The last phone I used was Z3+ and I had been using it since August 2015 until today. Today I destroyed it by jumping in the pool with it in my pocket and to be fair, it was time to move on from him, but I do not like the way I am forced to move on. :(

Now, about the new phone, I am not budget-limited so that is one less worry. The phone will not be used that much for games as I rarely or almost never play them. As usual, I will probably mostly use it for social networks(Instagram,Facebook,Twitter...) and crypto-related lightweight apps like chart widgets and wallets. Camera and outside look of the phone are one of the biggest factors that affect my choice. But keep in mind that the inside of it matters as well. ;)

However, I have been out of phone industry for quite a while and I am no longer up to date with it, but I do know a little.

Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ are highly praised in our community and country but they are a little pricey in my opinion, however I have tried them and they were pretty good.

Also, I heard that Android 9.0(which I really am looking forward to) is coming out soon and it might be on end of August, but I cannot wait until then for a new phone.

The best Sony candidate for me is Sony Xperia XZ2 but the main pull backs for me are:

-It does not have an audio jack(which I use from time to time),

-Selfie camera is not so good,

-And also it is a little chubby and not so good looking in my opinion.

I would like to hear your ideas and suggestions, but also keep in mind that iPhone is out of option due to personal taste.

TL;DRDestroyed previous phone, buying a new one but iPhone is out of question. Looking for suggestions/opinions/ideas/reviews.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Check out the s8/s8+, very similar to the s9, somewhat worse obviously but you should check it out maybe you like it, it quite nice for the price.

19 minutes ago, Favebook said:

If you're in the US a 128GB 1st gen Google Pixel XL is like $250 on ebay

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Google Pixel mate, they're a decent bloody phone. And as @Streetguru mentioned, cheap in the US. Not so cheap in Australia though ;) 

11 hours ago, Streetguru said:

If you're in the US a 128GB 1st gen Google Pixel XL is like $250 on ebay

11 hours ago, Netivity said:

Google Pixel mate, they're a decent bloody phone. And as @Streetguru mentioned, cheap in the US. Not so cheap in Australia though ;) 

I am from Serbia, and there are only 2 shops that sell it here. One prices it for 600 Euro and the other one for 800 Euro so that is not a good option. :(

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Bugger mate! What's your budget? And what do you use your phone for? Do you use it at work, and is your work a labor type job?

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Favebook said:

I am from Serbia, and there are only 2 shops that sell it here. One prices it for 600 Euro and the other one for 800 Euro so that is not a good option. :(

Then maybe get a One Plus Something? Or a bit older Note Phone?

Or really anything with like Snapdragon 820/821 or above?

Zenfones seem alright.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, Netivity said:

What's your budget?

As I said in my first post, my budget is not limited. But I am honestly looking for something up to 800$. But something that is worth that money...

And what do you use your phone for?

I noted the answers to this question in first post as well:

21 hours ago, Favebook said:

The phone will not be used that much for games as I rarely or almost never play them. As usual, I will probably mostly use it for social networks(Instagram,Facebook,Twitter...) and crypto-related lightweight apps like chart widgets and wallets.

Do you use it at work, and is your work a labor type job?

I am a student actually. Studying IT and programming so I do not really use it in that field with exception of some University applications.

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Zenfones seem alright.

I just heard of them and checked them out. They seem to be quite fitting for my needs. I'll see what the pricing is in our country if there are any and if there are not, I might order from outside of my country. Thank you for an idea!

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

I read the TL:DR section lol.

Right, I presume you want a phone that'll last. Even when studying is over. 

I am in I.T and I use my phone constantly - making phone calls, taking photos, e-mails etc.

Do NOT Buy a Nokia 3,5,8 etc. I have gone through them all, and all are shite.

As per my previous phone recommendation, Google Pixel mate.

You say your budget is anywhere up to 800 bucks, but when we recommended the pixel you shut it down because it was $800?

Heard good things about Zenfones too, never tried or tested though.

32 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I read the TL:DR section lol.

I figured, but that is okay.:)

32 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Right, I presume you want a phone that'll last. Even when studying is over. 

You are totally right about this part.

33 minutes ago, Netivity said:

As per my previous phone recommendation, Google Pixel mate.

You say your budget is anywhere up to 800 bucks, but when we recommended the pixel you shut it down because it was $800?

Yes, I said my budget is up to 800 bucks and I stand by it. But I also think that Google Pixel is not worthy of that price tag(in our country) and that is why I turned it down plus some minor personal dislikes. However, if it was a realistic price like in US(for up to 400-500$) I might even consider it really.

37 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Do NOT Buy a Nokia 3,5,8 etc. I have gone through them all, and all are shite.

Never liked Nokia personally but anyway I gotta ask(out of curiosity), what are the reasons exactly?

21 hours ago, ChernobilChuck said:

Check out the s8/s8+, very similar to the s9, somewhat worse obviously but you should check it out maybe you like it, it quite nice for the price.

I am sorry for skipping your message, it slipped by... Thanks for advice, I already looked into them, and even had opportunity to test them as well. And they were not bad, but not great either, they were just OKAY. And Samsung is like my last resort. The last hope...

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

Yes, I said my budget is up to 800 bucks and I stand by it. But I also think that Google Pixel is not worthy of that price tag(in our country) and that is why I turned it down plus some minor personal dislikes. However, if it was a realistic price like in US(for up to 400-500$) I might even consider it really.

That is more than a fair answer!

Never liked Nokia personally but anyway I gotta ask(out of curiosity), what are the reasons exactly?

I have to be honest, it has some good parts like the gorilla glass screen etc. But they get REALLY slow over time. (Even after a factory reset)

It has gotten to the point where the phones have started restarting randomly. I don't touch it, sits in my pocket and off it goes. Even during phone calls, big no no for me.

Photo camera quality is absolutely terrible. The only thing the phones have got rooting for them are their flashlights... lol.

4 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I have to be honest, it has some good parts like the gorilla glass screen etc. But they get REALLY slow over time. (Even after a factory reset)

It has gotten to the point where the phones have started restarting randomly. I don't touch it, sits in my pocket and off it goes. Even during phone calls, big no no for me.

Photo camera quality is absolutely terrible. The only thing the phones have got rooting for them are their flashlights... lol.

That sounds like you had a lot of hassle and problems with it even though it has some positive sides. Thank you very much for that insight. I'll keep that in mind!

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

No worries mate, I hope you find a worthwhile phone for your needs.

• 3 weeks later...