Is Your Gaming Rig Being Bottlenecked??

Hi i'm new here.

I Have the MSI GT 72VR 7RE Dominator Pro  I7 7700 32GB RAM and a GTX1070 and i would like to know if my masive frame rate drops (for example BF1 on Ultra from 90 ish drops like to 30 or even 20)  are related with some kind of spontaneous Bottlenecking at some point.

I'm planning to build a rig with 16gb of ddr4 ram, gtx 1070 8gb, and a Intel core i5-8500 6 core cpu. Will there be any bottlenecking in my new rig?

Hey @LinusTech , on this subject. How about a video explaining this in your usual fashion. I'm referring to the bit "collecting the information", as you've already explained v-sync in a techquicky.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/894384-stutters-framedrops-lag-how-to-provide-detailed-information-with-your-bottleneck-question-as-well-as-a-few-solutions/

You have a better ability than me to explain it in layman's terms. Plus your video's reach further than my signature does. That and I want to stop posting it every single WHY IS MY PC STUTTERING or BOTTLENECKING topic. 

Maybe make it a techquicky, I don't care. Teach people how to diagnose a system with Afterburner, so they come to the forum with a more informed question. 

20 minutes ago, Drift1233 said:

I'm planning to build a rig with 16gb of ddr4 ram, gtx 1070 8gb, and a Intel core i5-8500 6 core cpu. Will there be any bottlenecking in my new rig?

Very similar to my rig. When I check task manager most modern games use about 50-70% resources with no noticeable lag or frame drops. BTW this is gaming at 1080p 60fps

Hello, newbie here.

thebottlenecker.com says Graphic card and processor will work great together

Not really sure if this is true because in some games I get really low fps,

in PUBG sometimes 40 - 50 fps or other games don't seem to run that well too.

Does my CPU bottleneck my GPU? or any other part in my rig?

Specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (GP104-200)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @3.50 GHz (overclocked it to 4.20 GHz)

RAM: 4x Kingston 99U5471-020.A00LF 4 GB DDR3-1333

Drives: 

yy714s6.png.6ecf27c9807d016fb9e55b7b858d38e5.png

Thanks for any help in advance.

Can you guys help me out? Tried thebottlenecker.com and it shows that i have a 5% bottleneck on my system over the previous one that has a 1% bottleneck( sapphire r9 380 nitro oc). Budget System is as follows

ryzen 3 1200 stock

2x4 gb 2400mhz ballistix sport lt memory

Sapphire r9 290x tri x oc

3x 7200 rpm mechanical hdds

i have the asus gtx 1080Ti and an i78700k with 16gb trident z ram and i normal play games on ultra has that got any bottle necks? i cant even see on thebottleneck due to the fact my i7 is not on thier yet.

im using a ryzen 3 1200 oc @ 3.8Ghz and a gtx 1060 3 Gb oc at 2012 Mhz clock and 4788 Mhz memory clock were do you think is the bottleneck

15 hours ago, brandishwar said:

Which, I've noted, many of the people who throw around the word "bottleneck" tend to be have very elitist and fanboyish attitudes. Especially given how anti-AMD a lot of people were (especially on this forum...) prior to Ryzen launching. That something better is available seemed more important than whether the existing AMD processors or used hardware was still workable. And that something else being more important than the processor and graphics card seemed unfathomable.

And that's what the term "bottlenecking" has now devolved into; a scapegoat used by elitists and especially fanboys who don't know any better but want to appear as if they know stuff when in reality, they're making themselves look even dumber.

I'm frankly unimpressed by any statement along the lines of "Hurrr, Ryzen is only good at bottlenecking high-end GPUs hurrr" or "You need a 7980XE or you'll bottleneck your 1080 Ti to crap".

Here's the hard truth. You can't totally eliminate bottlenecks. While you can reduce the potential bottleneck between CPU and GPU, you'll still leave other bottlenecks in, like a storage I/O bottleneck, RAM bottleneck, or even the game you're running on, where some games don't really take much advantage of everything your system offers. And you just simply can't get rid of them.

Instead of worrying about bottlenecks, worry about the performance you'll get out of a hardware combo. Ideally, you shouldn't really be pairing an 8700K or R7 2700X with a GT 1030 (especially the super-gimped DDR4 "Fuck you" edition) and an FX-4350 or Pentium with a GTX 1070. But take a more reasonable combo like a Core i7 7700K and a GTX 1070. It'll hold you back a little in titles that benefit a ton from multithreaded workloads but if you're still achieving very playable results at your desired settings, does it really seem all that worrying?

In short, don't fret too much out of bottlenecks. If you're building, focus on what's the best you can do out of your budget. And please focus on the PSU. I've seen too many cases of PSUs exploding and even one burning a house down.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Am i bottlenecked? My rig is for only gaming and light youtube watching. i7 6700, 16GB DDR4 2400, GTX 1060 6GB, Gigabyte H270 gaming 3 motherboard, 512GB m.2 boot drive, 1TB m.2 game drive, NZXT Kraken X62 AIO for cpu.

Hello everyone, i nees some help on my setup. 

I use it to play mostly Rainbow six siege a very demanding game. 

I am bottknecking somewhere and i think it is on ram but also something else could you guys pls help me out. 

My config: 

gtx 1070Ti 

I7 7700

8Go DDR4 2133

b250m pro-vd 

I run a 2k asus monitor

i run pubg high settings on G4560 paired with gtx1060  is this bad ?

I have a Core i5 2500K, no laughing, with a small overclock and a GTX1060 and haven't really noticed a problem with bottlenecking in games or any other applications. I'm more inclined to think that the bottleneck in my system is the 500GB mechanical HDD.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

TFL;DFR:

• If you're not stuttering or noticing it, don't look too hard into it and turn off the frame counter.
  • if you're looking to speed up a very long waiting process, post what you're wanting to do, and the specs of the entire system (CPU GPU RAM Motherboard Storage)
  • if you're feeling shocks when you touch your PC PLEASE DO NOT OPEN YOUR PSU.
  • if this is your first time here, Hello! do have a look around in the forum outside this thread! https://linustechtips.com/main/

Well my system is primarily used for gaming but I do a bit of work in photoshop as well and will be doing some 3D work on it at some point, the specs are:

CPU: Core i5-2500K

GPU: GTX 1060

RAM: 8GB DDR3

M/B: ASUS P8P67

Storage: Seagate 500GB mechanical HDD

I'm inclined to think that HDD is bottlenecking the system at this point due to long load times in games and I will be upgrading to an SSD or two at some point anyway and I'm also looking at upgrading the RAM as well.

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

One GPU. SLI only works when it does (that's where driver update comes in), and two GPUs usually does 180% ish rather than 200%, again, when it works.

so is it better for me to sold my gtx 970 and buy just 1 gpu ?
im only using my pc for gaming (like Dota 2, FF-XV, Dying Light, The Forest, Monster Hunter&Fallout 76 (when it released)) and watch some movie without editing anything.

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah long loading times does point to the HDD. save up for a well-sized SSD if you can. look into RAID for multiple HDDs next time.

other than that, you should already do fine in photoshop, other than RAM (especially when you have chrome in the background for image reference). Once you're about to start 3D work consider getting more RAM, since you'll be opening both PS and your 3D program at the same time. Start with 16GB, plan for 32GB next time afterwards when projects start getting bigger.

you should already do fine for most games in medium with a 1060. however if your 3D project has a large polycount or if you're working into large 3D sculpting work (usually in ZBrush or Sculptris) then the VRAM capacity in your GPU will matter, because that's where all the graphical data is.

Start with the SSD first. I'm not too inclined to suggest buying more RAM when it's for a DDR3 system (I'd rather you put it towards the RAM budget for a more recent system).

(which 3D program is this by the way?)

It's 3Ds Max which was running on this system before. I have checked up on RAM for this system and I can get more if I need to but I understand what you're saying. I will probably keep the 500GB HDD as a scratch disk for Photoshop and temporary working disk for 3Ds Max.

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yes, especially when you don't want to spend the time troubleshooting or waiting it out for SLI-related problems in freshly released games. also not all programs do SLI (outside of games, and some games don't SLI well too so)

you should do fine after you managed to get the 1070 (or equivalent). take your time to sell the 970. keeping a level head is important.

ok,

Thank You for your help...!!!

59 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Yeah a new(er) CPU and motherboard would help alleviate things a bit. Keep in mind most common modern systems run on DDR4, so you'd be looking at a new system

do you have a framerate number while you're in farming simulator? if it's about 50 to 70fps you should really do fine ._.

(do also make a new thread in New Builds and Planning if you decide to start planning your upgrade https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

I'm currently getting 40-60FPS but not on the highest settings, the games sometimes drops hard in framerate if there are alot of objects/vehicles present. Also somehow there is alot of horizontal tearing, the refresh rate for the screen is setup correctly and I do not have this problem in games like Starcraft 2.
Also, looking at the big changes to the engine and additions in the upcoming game. I'm somewhat doubtfull the system will still handle the game at this resolution.
I'll start a new thread once the upgrade starts. I'm hoping to re-use as much as possible parts(PSU/GPU/SSD's/Case/CPU cooler).

18 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
29 minutes ago, WarKel said:

I'm currently getting 40-60FPS but not on the highest settings, the games sometimes drops hard in framerate if there are alot of objects/vehicles present.

oh okay I just had a look at the game images, and it looks pretty grassy there o_o

thing now is choosing between a higher clockspeed or more cores, but I don't think I can find any solid answers on this. sorry ,_,

Also somehow there is alot of horizontal tearing, the refresh rate for the screen is setup correctly and I do not have this problem in games like Starcraft 2.

check the graphics settings in-game. you should be looking for vsync or vertical sync. turn that on

Thank you! I shall give that a try. I'll look into choosing a CPU trough the builders forum. I think my budget only lets me get an i5 of some sorts. But the suggested 6core one from thebottlenecker website looks fine.
Again thank you for the reply's!

I think I'm experiencing a CPU bottleneck, for example, a game called Smite which I play mainly I run at maximum at 75FPS (my monitor is an ultra wide and runs at 75Hz) and never even in the most demanding times drop any frames, however, when I try and play WoW, I really struggle with my FPS and find that I seem to stutter quite a lot, it doesn't seem to matter if I'm running at low graphics or high the issue persists. 

My System is on my profile, but I will just state the processor and GPU:

i7-3770k (running at 4.2GHz)

AMD r9 Fury X

Long story, long,I fried my previous 7700k/1080 by spilling water on it. So I built a new rig, me being stubborn I wasn't going to get what I had so I did a 8700k/1080ti. Future proofing was my reasoning, but I primarily play CSGO as of now, and have massive FPS issues. Running at 1080p would solve this but I do not play at that resolution. So I slapped my old 980 into and presto, no fps issues. All other games ran fabulous on the original 1080ti build btw. Is this a case of csgo just being poorly optimized for such new and powerful hardware? Clearly the card doesn't have a defect because of good performance in other games. Now I could mildly correct it by locking my clock in on the 1080ti, but couldn't justify burning my caps for CSGO....For now I'm running with the 8700k/980 lol....

Side Note: Reading up on the issue I did collect that the 1080ti lives best above 1080p native monitor res. Food for thought. Thanks in advance.

Build specs:

8700k(@4.7 w/h100i)

1080ti

lpx vengence 8gigx2(daul channel functioning)

970 evo m2

750w psu

Temps Fine

from playing various games on my new build i can tell mine is the gpu. i play some cpu demanding games and some gpu demanding games.

current build:

ryzen 3 1300x (sometimes oc to 4GHz)

asus prime x370 pro

8gbx2 g.skill ripjaw v @ 3000mhz

xfx r9 390x (stable oc, which isn't much)

samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd as boot drive

wd blue 2tb where my games are

an old 1000w ps

i want to get a new gpu but i'm not sure if i should wait for anything that might be coming out, or get a new one now. and if i'd get one now i'm not sure what to get.

there's strange behaviour since this video.... everybody asks about bottlenecks on this forums suddenly
must be coincidence 

/s

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

I want to upgrade my gpu, so should i go for GTX 1050 TI or a GTX 1060 6GB version?

And i want to know weather it will be bottle necked by my cpu ?

My config- 

CPU - Pentium G4560

RAM - HYPERX 8gig 2133mhz ddr4

MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte H110M v2

GPU - AMD HD 6870

STORAGE - 1x 128gig SSD, 1x 2tb hdd

PSU - ANTEC 450W 80+ Bronze

CABINET - OEM (for my old build with 1 exaust fan and side grills)