Is Your Gaming Rig Being Bottlenecked??

I have a GTX 1070 8GB and an i5 8400, I'm beginning to think that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU, I am currently using the setup for gaming and or streaming anyone that could help clear this up?

I have a GTX 1070 8GB and an i5 8400, I'm beginning to think that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU, I am currently using the setup for gaming and or streaming anyone that could help clear this up?

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a computer that I built a while back with a ryzen 5 1600 processor and a gtx 1080 primarily for gaming and everything was running fine which was expected and I recently upgraded my graphics card to an rtx 2080ti and in games I get about the same performance as I did with the 1080 but am able to play games with the render at 200% with no degradation of my frame rate as opposed to running games at 100% render so is this a bottle neck of the cpu where I just can’t get higher frame rates then I could before due to my cpu not being able to keep up or do I just expect too much from my computer hardware, also the game that I tested the render in was destiny 2 at ultra settings running 70-80 FPS whether I was at 100% render or 200% 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to see if I have some bottleneck in my pc build. I played CS:GO and cpu had 60-70% usage, same as the gpu. But when I played GTAV my cpu locked at 100% while my gpu didn't get over 5%. Is this a bottleneck??

My specs: Gtx 1060, Intel Core I5 - 4460, 2x4gb DDR3, Asus ROG Maximus VII Ranger; motherboard.

Looking for some advice, I am looking at two different configurations for a new rig
The first is an i7-8750H, with GTX 1050ti for graphics
The other is an i5-8300H, with GTX 1060 for graphics

I'm wondering what the balance would look like for not only gaming, but running Virtual Machines, programming in Java and Python, etc.
I am a CyberSec major, and I feel like I should know these things, but I don't. (maybe it's because i haven't taken hardware classes yet)

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hello I've been wanting to do an upgrade to my gaming pc but am unsure about what to get. Was hoping to find some advice on here.

I'm running:

AMD ryzen 5 1400

evga gtx 1060 6gb

asus prime b350 plus mobo

h115i water cooler

16gb of ram

and ssd

wanted to upgrade my cpu to the ryzen 7 2700x, (knowing that the 3rd gen is coming out in a couple of days); therefor upgrading my mobo

not sure what mobo to get that wont leave me lacking in power or if I would even need anything. Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

ik im a bit late but i have a upgrade question, will a GTX 1080 bottleneck a i7 2700k? if so if i overclocked my i7 would that reduce the severity of the bottleneck? Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Intel i5-4460S and an GTX 1060 3GB with 12GB of ram and i had good performance to begin with but over the last year its been on a steady decline i have no idea what to do lol, help

Ya know. I think mine might be. Considering I run on an old fell Inspiron 5. With integrated graphics. A barely functioning battery. Among other things my rig runs about 10 fps on Garry's mod on a good day. It's pretty bad...but ya know it's whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to play mincraft at 200fps thats all using Intel Pentium 3.0 GHz 2gb ram and inbuil graphic s

I'm starting with blender and i'm getting my first setup. Would a gtx 1060 ti be my best option for a core i5 9400f? And, could this be a good setup for blender?
Thanks a lot, lerning a lot from the videos, still haven't figure this one out though

13 minutes ago, Atazkeitor said:

I'm starting with blender and i'm getting my first setup. Would a gtx 1060 ti be my best option for a core i5 9400f? And, could this be a good setup for blender?
Thanks a lot, lerning a lot from the videos, still haven't figure this one out though

A GTX 1070 Ti (There's no GTX 1060 Ti unless you're referring to the GTX 1060 6GB) is an excellent starter GPU for Blender for some decently large projects. The VRAM can hold a good chunk of data. The CPU is also good too.

If you're using Blender 2.8, Cycles can utilize both the CPU and the GPU at the same time. It's worth noting that the GPU renders significantly faster than the CPU itself, but my advice is, use both whenever possible. If not, then if available, GPU definitely.

If you're pursuing high-quality renders, you may want to render onto another computer and not a laptop. If you're constrained by time as well, then eventually you may want to consider a higher-end GPU. But what you're getting right now is an excellent start.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Hey guys! Long time viewer first time poster. I recently upgraded from an rx580 8gb gpu to a 2080ti. I'm playing and streaming escape from tarkov. I got the card in the Hope's that I would get better frames. However I am getting roughly 10% better frames at the same settings. Here are my pc specs

Mobo- b450

CPU- ryzen 5 1300*

Psu- gold blah blah 750 watt

GPU- msi 2080ti 11gb

Ram 32gb 2x16 Kingston 3200

Storage! 2x 1tb ssd's/ 1 5tb wd blue

I am under the assumption that the cpu is the problem. I can 9ver clock but I would rather get a new one. Wondering if you could give me a suggestion that would only be a CPU replacement and no other parts, that might help optimize my performance.

Thanks guys

Just now, Runtalented said:

Hey guys! Long time viewer first time poster. I recently upgraded from an rx580 8gb gpu to a 2080ti. I'm playing and streaming escape from tarkov. I got the card in the Hope's that I would get better frames. However I am getting roughly 10% better frames at the same settings. Here are my pc specs

Mobo- b450

CPU- ryzen 5 1300*

Psu- gold blah blah 750 watt

GPU- msi 2080ti 11gb

Ram 32gb 2x16 Kingston 3200

Storage! 2x 1tb ssd's/ 1 5tb wd blue

I am under the assumption that the cpu is the problem. I can 9ver clock but I would rather get a new one. Wondering if you could give me a suggestion that would only be a CPU replacement and no other parts, that might help optimize my performance.

Thanks guys

Ps I'm looking at a ryzen 7 2700 as a replacement.

i have an i7 8700k and a gtx 1080ti as of right now i started getting bottlenecking i dont know whats going on any help or tips would be most appreciated.i cleaned out the pc no dust checked the thermal turned off oc in bios changed processor management to 50 60 70 80 90 therig runs 16 gb of memory so i really don know whats goin on

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys im getting my first pc in about 2 weeks time and i feel like i’ve put a lot of thought into ur parts already but i just wanted to make sure. 

If u guys could help me see if there is a lot of bottlenecking gg on that would be great. 

My parts:

GPU: RTX 2060 SUPER 8GH DDR6

CPU: core i7-9700F

Motherboard: ASROCK B365M PRO4

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz

CPU Cooler: Bequiet thingy

SSD and Hard Drive: 512GB nvm SSD and 1tb of hard disk space

Power Supply: 650W

Monitor: ASUS VG279Q

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked the video on bottlenecks from LTT. I would like some advice about a what to purchase.

Some of my system specs are:

Windows 10 64-bit

8GB DDR3

FX-8350

MSI R9 270X HAWK Edition

Currently I want to upgrade to Ryzen 5 2600, or to purchase the GTX 1660 SUPER (EVGA)

I use to play more often PUBG and Grim Dawn. Currently, on PUBG, I get 45-65 fps with Low Settings and 90% render scale.

When checking the metrics, the GPU stays on the 88-99% range, and the CPU stays at the 50-70% range (depending on the city I am) (more populated parts of the map, with more props and all that, make the CPU go to 70-80%).

I would like to make a good choice, whether to buy the Ryzen (CPU, MOBO and RAM), or buy the GPU.

Both options are on a similar price range (my budget).

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to upgrade my gaming PC next summer. I currently have an i7-7700 and a GTX 1060 (3GB). I want to upgrade to an RTX 2080 Super or if Nvidia releases their Ampere cards then one of the top of the lines. I plan on using my rig for 1440p 144hz gaming in light and heavy games. Would my CPU bottleneck me to the point where I would be unable to run at or near 1440p 144hz in most games?

(I also have 16GB DDR4 RAM, planning on upgrading to 32GB)

Thanks!

On 10/23/2019 at 7:47 PM, kane the dog said:

is my system bottlenecking?

GTX 1050 Ti

Intel g4560

That would be a bottleneck for CPU heavy games.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:49 AM, Poltami said:

i have an i7 8700k and a gtx 1080ti as of right now i started getting bottlenecking i dont know whats going on any help or tips would be most appreciated.i cleaned out the pc no dust checked the thermal turned off oc in bios changed processor management to 50 60 70 80 90 therig runs 16 gb of memory so i really don know whats goin on

What exactly do you think is the bottleneck? That looks like a well balanced system.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I need some help... I want to upgrade my gpu and I’m afraid my cpu might bottleneck the new one I’m looking at. My current cpu is the intel i7 4790k. I currently have a gtx 1060 3gb. And I’m looking to get a rtx 2060 super. Not sure if it will get bottlenecked. I wanna play games at 1080p max settings and I’m also into blender.

I need help guys!! is it okay to pair my sapphire nitro+ RX580 8gb with Ryzen5 2600x or the newest 3600x?

This is mainly for Offline and online games.

current build is:

Cpu : Amd A10-9700 Quad-Core Processor Socket Am4 3.5ghz

GPU : sapphire Nitro + RX580 8gb

Ram : 2x16GB Adata ddr4 2400MHZ

Mother board : msi a320m pro-vh plus

Hard drive : 2TB 

PSU : M12 II bronze evo Edition 750Watts

Alright,

So I got a "unique" question in regards to bottlenecking and this is out of my range of expertise so I figured I could ask here.

CPU: 4790K

GPU: Currently AMD's RX570 but I want to get a RX 2080ti

RAM: Team Group DDR3 2666mhz 32gb kit (aww yiss, ebay sales)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC

PSU Corsair 750 Watt

Storage: MV.2 Drive 2TB Intel 660p

Now, here is my question!

From bottleneck it says if my CPU is pushed at the 130% margin mark which my RAM will automatically push it towards a nice 4.4ghz

it notes that I will have a 19% bottleneck on my CPU. However, I want to find a way to still fully utilize my GPU despite this bottleneck.

I make YouTube content and I know I can use the graphic cards to encode my gameplay footage taking stress away from my CPU and putting it onto my GPU.

Would I then be able to utilize a 2080ti more effectively? At 1080P for gaming and encoding through the one card then putting it all onto my CPU?

17 minutes ago, TheWhiteRose000 said:

-snip-

Bottleneck calculators are useless.

2080ti is massive overkill for 1080p. at most a 2070super would be more than sufficent for 1080p

every system will bottleneck, it's the game that will decide where the bottleneck is

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, 

Recently I upgraded to a RX 5700 XT in a Core i5 7600K CPU / DDR4-2400. When I play PUBG there is a lot of aggresive GPU downcloking. I thought it was AMD drivers issue, but when I play at 1440p (VSR), stuttering reduce and GPU clock is much more stable. Also, ULTRA postprocesing setting reduce GPU downcloking.  Could it be a CPU bottleneck problem because the 4c/4t?