Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GabenJr

Is Your Gaming Rig Being Bottlenecked??

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well yea I can see that... but a 8 year old GTX 550Ti bottlenecking my 8 year old Phenom chip? And that I should upgrade to a RX 570? That's not right.

"bottlenecking" is a BS term made of by PC gamer's to prevent people from contributing some actual thought to what they want their computer to do. 

A coin mining rig can have 7 GTX 1080 ti's but run on a celeron.

A Render farm can be full of Dual processor AMD epyc machines that only have onboard video output because that's all they need.

Both these systems we would consider extreme "bottlenecks" even though they are simply designed for a specific purpose in mind and are designed to excel at said purpose.

If you are a PC gamer, your goal should be to have something like a 4 core processor about 3GHz with about haswell equivelant level IPC. Then you can install any graphics card you want and this "bottleneck" you speak of will go away. I prefer to use the term "held back" because it required applying actual thought to a situation than just calling it a blanket "bottleneck. 

A good example would be installing a GTX 1080 in a pentium 4 system. Don't do this because it wouldn't make any sense for a PC gamer. Similarly don't pair an 18 core 2GHz xeon with a GT 210 as this wouldn't make any sense either. A sensible processor to pair with a GTX 1080 could be anything from a heavily overclocked westmere Xeon 6 core all the way to a Coffee lake i5, as any of these processors will get the job done just fine.

As a guideline, check the minimum system requirements of the game you want to play and run with that. If game requirements ask for a GTX 1080 + something like an i5-3570K, then maybe anything from a Xeon X5670 all the way to a Ryzen 3 1200 will work. Think about what you are actually trying to do with your PC and decide if the games you are playing will rely more heavily on a good CPU, GPU or a mix of both. then go from there.

I think my build is pretty well balanced

Ryzen 2600X

GTX 1070Ti FE

MSI X470 Gaming Plus 

16gb of G.Skill RipJaws V 3200 ddr4 ram

250gb WD Black M.2 NVME SSD

2TB Seagate hybrid drive

My rig is nice. But during Destiny 2 and Fortnite, when playing with other users on a team or squad I find it lags like crazy. I know it’s not my internet as it does this while I have friends over for LAN parties as well and they don’t experience anything like this. My set up:

i7-7700k

gskill 16gb-3200mhz

asus mark 1 z270 mobo

evga ftw3 1080ti

corsair 1200i psu

samsung SSD main boot

WD Black 1TB Games and stuff

2 asus 28” 4k @60hz monitors, game on one stream on the other (lag happens whether I’m streaming or not)

All those new members asking about bottleneck...

That was a genius move by Linus to attract new users to the forum

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

4 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

sorry, miscounted somewhere. I stretched my first PC pretty far (i7 870. for 7 years). Stuck to medium settings for all my games. if I started with a 4770 instead (somehow with a time machine) I would still stretch it for 7 years, maybe one more. my work demands have changed though, so my current PC (2-3 years old) might see an upgrade in a year's time ,_,

you'll do more if you upgrade from your GTX 770 though, this will get you better shadows and lighting effects (and larger textures with more VRAM). if you don't stutter during very busy scenes (e.g. you walk into a new area and the game doesn't freeze for a few seconds to load everything that's appearing) you should really do fine, otherwise lower the model detail in settings, or plan your next upgrade with a better CPU. make a post in New Builds when you're starting to plan for one. https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Start with a GTX1060 or equivalent (that's if you can get a 970 or 980 secondhand) (or whatever's next on Nvidia's board. 1150? 2050?) (you can try looking into an AMD RX 570 or 580, but Assassisin's creed origins may hover under 45fps. definitely try for secondhand or clearance if you decide to buy it, don't buy this new).  also do the lower model detail thing first to see if you can alleviate some stutters if you feel that it happens.

does it drop for a frame or two or does it just stop drawing for a second or two?

Personally I'd lower the settings a bit (possibly just one setting. either the texture detail or model detail) since it's much quicker than actually buying new hardware ._.

also might depend on how the game handles mod files and what the game is given, so anything too specific might require a visit the forum where the mod came from

Its definitely frames on certain scenes it will drop to 23fps and then back up to 60 fps

Rather than start a new topic, thought I'd latch onto this post.  Considering upgrading my cpu, mobo, and ram to be more in line with my gtx 1070.  I have a i5 3570k from forever ago and am thinking about going Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x with compatible motherboard and ram.  I play on a 1440p monitor and am happy with the frames I get in almost all my games on high and ultra.  I don't get what I want out of some games, though. R6 Siege and other games of the sort seem to have dips.  Am trying to decide whether to invest in the upgrade now as opposed to later for games later in the year and future like Tomb Raider and such.  Would spending the money to get cpu, mobo, and ram into this generation help out the 1070 a significant amount or is my processor not as bad as I think?  Have tried looking up test videos, but figured I'd check with people who might know more.  Yes, the bottlenecking video got me here.

15 hours ago, sonludus2 said:

Hey guys! 

Just need a little help to prevent bottlenecking on my gaming PC. I'm new to upgrading/building PCs, but I know how the basics work because I'm an IT intern. I want to upgrade a Dell Precision T1700 I just got from a friend to use for gaming that has the following specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3

GPU: quadro k600 (this GPU can only support CSGO on ~18 fps :/ I know--it stinks)

RAM: 2x 8 GB DDR4

PSU: 240 watts

I'm planning on getting these upgrades:

PSU: Corsair 750 Watts

GPU: Ti-1060 6GB

CPU: either Core i7-4820k or Core i7-8700k

I used the bottlenecker calculator thanks to @aezakmi to get an idea for what CPU I should get, and I think the TI-1060 is the GPU I want. If there's any better recommendations for what I should get, that would be much appreciated. I'm planning to get the parts to upgrade this PC and then use those parts to start building a newer, better gaming PC so I don't want to buy a new PC or start from scratch just yet.

Does anyone happen to know if upgrading to that CPU would work with this PC? And if it's a matter of compatability with the motherboard, how would I find out the motherboard information without fully taking the PC apart?  Thanks! 

Quick update: just got a Ti-1060 6 GB and a Corsair 750 Watt PSU. Now I just have the question about whether or not I should upgrade my CPU and what I should upgrade to.

8 hours ago, Zeeman said:

Great video, I was curious as to what you thought about my rig on the bottleneck front.

Rig:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x

MB ASUS PRIME b350

16GB DDR4 RAM

4GB AMD RADEON RX 560

that gpu

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well yea I can see that... but a 8 year old GTX 550Ti bottlenecking my 8 year old Phenom chip? And that I should upgrade to a RX 570? That's not right.

i had a gtx 550ti paired with an old intel penitium 4, forget the exact one. it did pretty decent. then i paired it with a amd fx8320 and it became a bottleneck, and i went to a gtx 760, and then after 2/3 years went to a r9 390x. i'm looking to upgrade again but not sure i'm i should wait or pull the trigger, looking at buying in september.
i still have and  use the gtx 550ti in my parents computer, with a fx 6100

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:
14 hours ago, ArabLord said:

All range of games from rise of the tomb raider/assassins creed/Witcher 3 to games like stardew valley/minecraft. 

I would prefer to have high settings with 60fps though. 

A 4 gen old processor can do well for another 3 years?

sorry, miscounted somewhere. I stretched my first PC pretty far (i7 870. for 7 years). Stuck to medium settings for all my games. if I started with a 4770 instead (somehow with a time machine) I would still stretch it for 7 years, maybe one more. my work demands have changed though, so my current PC (2-3 years old) might see an upgrade in a year's time ,_,

you'll do more if you upgrade from your GTX 770 though, this will get you better shadows and lighting effects (and larger textures with more VRAM). if you don't stutter during very busy scenes (e.g. you walk into a new area and the game doesn't freeze for a few seconds to load everything that's appearing) you should really do fine, otherwise lower the model detail in settings, or plan your next upgrade with a better CPU. make a post in New Builds when you're starting to plan for one. https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Start with a GTX1060 or equivalent (that's if you can get a 970 or 980 secondhand) (or whatever's next on Nvidia's board. 1150? 2050?) (you can try looking into an AMD RX 570 or 580, but Assassisin's creed origins may hover under 45fps. definitely try for secondhand or clearance if you decide to buy it, don't buy this new).  also do the lower model detail thing first to see if you can alleviate some stutters if you feel that it happens.

Thanks for the detailed response. But the reason for the 1080 or 1180/2080 is because I want to upgrade in the near future. I would keep the 1080 and buy the new parts. 

Games don’t really stutter as much but the frames are getting close to 30fps. 

I didn't really understand bottle-necking, so after watching this video it make me think, this is probably happening to me...
From what I understand bottle-necking happens when your CPU can't push all the power the GPU can, and that slows the GPU.
Maybe i'm wrong (I probably am), so please correct me.

Now I ask the question, am I getting "bottle-necked"?
Specs:  (Note: this was a pre-built with a few upgrades)
Operating System: Windows 10 home 64-bit
CPU: AMD FX-4300 vishera 32nm technology
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @802MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (socket M2)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (Gigabyte)
Storage: 931GB Toshiba DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)
Power supply: EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 600W

4 minutes ago, RedEagle3 said:

I didn't really understand bottle-necking, so after watching this video it make me think, this is probably happening to me...
From what I understand bottle-necking happens when your CPU can't push all the power the GPU can, and that slows the GPU.
Maybe i'm wrong (I probably am), so please correct me.

Now I ask the question, am I getting "bottle-necked"?
Specs:  (Note: this was a pre-built with a few upgrades)
Operating System: Windows 10 home 64-bit
CPU: AMD FX-4300 vishera 32nm technology
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @802MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (socket M2)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (Gigabyte)
Storage: 931GB Toshiba DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)
Power supply: EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 600W

i feel like your system is fine, just an old cpu. are you really clocked at 802MHz on your ram. i have corsair vengeance 8gb x2 clocked at 2400MHz. 

9 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

This brings me to another point

The GPU does not bottleneck the CPU. The CPU does not care what the GPU is doing, how busy it is, etc. The CPU is not dependent on the GPU for anything that it can do. Sure, the CPU builds GPU commands, sends them to the GPU to process, and if the GPU is too busy, it'll probably drop them or delay sending the commands. But the CPU can still go "okay, I'll just go do something else"

Edited by M.Yurizaki

hey guys been wondering this for awhile now but i recently rebuilt my pc centered around an i7 4790k and i paired this with (since its lga 1150) 16gb of ddr3 gskill aegis 2666mghz and with a wd blue ssd and 2tb barracuda and a EVGA gtx 1070 TI and i was wanting to know since its my first custom build where might i expect any bottlenecking.  

image.jpg

1 hour ago, RedEagle3 said:

quick answer: if your games don't feel slow, don't think too much of it.

if you want your games to run on a higher graphic settings, that's where you try to figure out which is the one not pushing enough for better framerates.

it's not just the CPU and GPU by the way. various factors will cause various stuttering. Linus ran Doom on a system entirely on a USB 3.0 stick (card and the reader but it's still connected via USB so). the stutters come from slow loading of files, which a 7980XE and five Titan Xps won't solve.

quoting this particular piece because I think this is what's on everyone's minds right now, and I don't feel like the video hammered the "use case" part through.

5 hours ago, kampfer5191 said:

i feel like your system is fine, just an old cpu. are you really clocked at 802MHz on your ram. i have corsair vengeance 8gb x2 clocked at 2400MHz. 

I'm not sure, that's just what it said on my spec list.

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

quick answer: if your games don't feel slow, don't think too much of it.

if you want your games to run on a higher graphic settings, that's where you try to figure out which is the one not pushing enough for better framerates.

it's not just the CPU and GPU by the way. various factors will cause various stuttering. Linus ran Doom on a system entirely on a USB 3.0 stick (card and the reader but it's still connected via USB so). the stutters come from slow loading of files, which a 7980XE and five Titan Xps won't solve.

quoting this particular piece because I think this is what's on everyone's minds right now, and I don't feel like the video hammered the "use case" part through.

My games don't feel slow, not at all actually, i'm just wondering if they can be even faster with a different CPU.

Spec: 

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

• CPU Intel Core i5 (3rd Gen) 3210M / 2.5 GHz
  • Max Turbo Speed 3.1 GHz
  • Number of Cores Dual-Core
  • Cache 3 MB
  • Chipset Type Mobile Intel HM76 Express
  • Features Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, integrated memory controller
  • Memory Speed 1600 MHz
  • Memory Specification Compliance PC3-12800
  • Configuration Features 2 x 4 GB
  • Technology DDR3 SDRAM
  • Installed Size 8 GB
  • Rated Memory Speed 1600 MHz
OK I know my system is a lot older than most of builds you all see here but I am a student and I bought the laptop from an ex-class mate, €50 which I think was well worth it. I don't have cash to upgrade right now as I am doing my masters in software design and tbh the system as it stands does the work I need it for and when it comes to more intensive workload I have access to the game development pc's in college.

Right now to my question I am an avid World of Tanks player (I suck but love the game) I am wondering if there is any second hand options to help me get more fps and maybe a little better quality in my game experience that WON'T set me back more then €75 as that is what I have hidden away from my wife.

Kind regards 

Killerspec

CPU : i3-3220
GPU : Zotac 1050 2gb
RAM : 8gb Ddr3

i do only gaming on it but i feel like fps are not that increased after replacing my msi 6670 1gb dual fan edition.
suggest me something Linus. is my cpu way too old for 1050 ? 

@LinusTech

Edited by Mansoor Ahmad Khan
Complete edit

i3-3320 + dh61h0 , 8gb ddr3 , gtx 1050 

I have been serching high an low for at clue to what I should do. I like to play games like NFS Shift 2 (old days). Project cars., F1 2017 and battlefield 4. I have not been playing for ½ year. the reason is that I have studder in game more than low FPS(40-55 depending on game and settings)

My monitors are 3x 22" 1920*1200 60Hz.  RES will than max be 5760*1200. I can live with setting on 3x1680*1050 

CPU: I5-4670K @ stoc, watercooled so can be OC @10%+ 

GPU: 2x6990 1@artic twin turbo accelreo 1@ watercooled, both @ stoc, can be OC 

SSD 250GB 850

4x4GB DDR3 2333MhZ

Bottleneck as I see it, is the 4x GPU's proberly most the 2GB VRAM?? I have looked at http://thebottlenecker.com/ but it is usless for my build with 3 screens as it does not take in the accound for the high res "3,33K".  

what Should I upgrade? I am not after a new build @ 1500$+ under 1000$ is a must. 500$ is better as I only play 4 times a month.

I am looking at getting a 1080TI as i have the 11Gb VRAM and not the 1070TI With 8GB. even there is a big $$ difference. is this a correct asumption? 

My build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooling: Mist Water cooler Mobo: MSI Kviat Black RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series (2133 MHz/8GB 2x4) SSD: Samsung Evo 850 (250GB) GPU: AMD 6990 Case: Custom PSU: Coolermaster M2 Pro (1500W) Monitor: 3 x Samsung 2223 (5992x1200)

Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone has an idea if my build bottlenecks somehow, just curious if it's a proper build. I might do some upgrades in future.

Proccessor: I5-6400 @ 2.7gHz-3.3gHz

MB: Msi B150Gaming M3

Ram: 8Gb DDR4 Hyperx black 2133Mhz

GPU: Nvidia 1060GTX Aorus 6GB

Storage: Hdd 1 TB segate/125gb SSD kingston

Monitor: AOC 1080p 75hz

opreating system: Win10 Pro

I forgot to say that i stream and game a lot so yea... *tbh i feel some low performance when i stream games like overwatch, not smoother anymore*

Edited by Alex needs a name
forgot to add something
15 hours ago, Alex needs a name said:

Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone has an idea if my build bottlenecks somehow, just curious if it's a proper build. I might do some upgrades in future.

I forgot to say that i stream and game a lot so yea... *tbh i feel some low performance when i stream games like overwatch, not smoother anymore*

I know a lot of games list 8gb of ram these days as required or recomended but I noticed after installing 16 gigs those same games went from almost maxing my previous 8gb ram to running about 10 gigs on average.

On ‎6‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, VegetableStu said:

What games are you playing in particular? and which VR games/programs are you looking to do?

games like titan fall 2, csgo, beat sabre and super hot

18 hours ago, Alex needs a name said:

Just for gaming, it is enough, but streaming at playing at the same time is bit too much for that CPU. Either look at locked šth gen i7, or get a new motherboard and CPU.

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

On 05.08.2018 at 9:59 PM, GabenJr said:

Everyone hates bottlenecks. It’s a common question on our forums to ask whether a part will be a bottleneck… But what does a bottleneck even look like, and how can you avoid one?

Buy a Core i7 8700K:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/JlcIN
On Newegg: http://geni.us/RLfD

Buy a Ryzen 3 2200G:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/jaZX9RZ
On Newegg: http://geni.us/1vxxfGB

Buy a GeForce GT 1030:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/RUD3m
On Newegg: http://geni.us/mSAqGt

Buy a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/9iVpPWq
On Newegg: http://geni.us/R10t

i have a fx4320 8 gb ram ddr3 and id want to buy a amd hd 7750, would i bottleneck anything? ill be using it for gaming mostly, maybe some photo editting. i mostly expect around 30 fps in medium setting or combination of low and mid at a 720p resolution. thanks in advance for the answear! 

ps: should i use a dual core 2 duo e8500 instead from another pc?