Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GabenJr

Is Your Gaming Rig Being Bottlenecked??

Recommended Posts

I think I'm experiencing a CPU bottleneck, for example, a game called Smite which I play mainly I run at maximum at 75FPS (my monitor is an ultra wide and runs at 75Hz) and never even in the most demanding times drop any frames, however, when I try and play WoW, I really struggle with my FPS and find that I seem to stutter quite a lot, it doesn't seem to matter if I'm running at low graphics or high the issue persists. 

 

My System is on my profile, but I will just state the processor and GPU:

 

i7-3770k (running at 4.2GHz)

AMD r9 Fury X

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Long story, long,I fried my previous 7700k/1080 by spilling water on it. So I built a new rig, me being stubborn I wasn't going to get what I had so I did a 8700k/1080ti. Future proofing was my reasoning, but I primarily play CSGO as of now, and have massive FPS issues. Running at 1080p would solve this but I do not play at that resolution. So I slapped my old 980 into and presto, no fps issues. All other games ran fabulous on the original 1080ti build btw. Is this a case of csgo just being poorly optimized for such new and powerful hardware? Clearly the card doesn't have a defect because of good performance in other games. Now I could mildly correct it by locking my clock in on the 1080ti, but couldn't justify burning my caps for CSGO....For now I'm running with the 8700k/980 lol....

 

Side Note: Reading up on the issue I did collect that the 1080ti lives best above 1080p native monitor res. Food for thought. Thanks in advance.

 

Build specs:

8700k(@4.7 w/h100i)

1080ti

lpx vengence 8gigx2(daul channel functioning)

970 evo m2

750w psu

Temps Fine

Link to post
Share on other sites

from playing various games on my new build i can tell mine is the gpu. i play some cpu demanding games and some gpu demanding games.

current build:

ryzen 3 1300x (sometimes oc to 4GHz)

asus prime x370 pro

8gbx2 g.skill ripjaw v @ 3000mhz

xfx r9 390x (stable oc, which isn't much)

samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd as boot drive

wd blue 2tb where my games are

an old 1000w ps

 

i want to get a new gpu but i'm not sure if i should wait for anything that might be coming out, or get a new one now. and if i'd get one now i'm not sure what to get.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FullOnMatt said:

a game called Smite which I play mainly I run at maximum at 75FPS (my monitor is an ultra wide and runs at 75Hz) and never even in the most demanding times drop any frames, however, when I try and play WoW, I really struggle with my FPS and find that I seem to stutter quite a lot

sounds like WoW is more demanding than Smite ._. don't forget different games tax the same system differently.

lower the settings on WoW, or if you really want to....

 

53 minutes ago, vanznaz77 said:

I primarily play CSGO as of now, and have massive FPS issues. Running at 1080p would solve this but I do not play at that resolution. So I slapped my old 980 into and presto, no fps issues. All other games ran fabulous on the original 1080ti build btw. Is this a case of csgo just being poorly optimized for such new and powerful hardware? Clearly the card doesn't have a defect because of good performance in other games. Now I could mildly correct it by locking my clock in on the 1080ti, but couldn't justify burning my caps for CSGO....For now I'm running with the 8700k/980 lol....

this isn't normal. are your drivers up to date?

you might want to create a new thread in Troubleshooting or PC Gaming for that new GTX 1080ti

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/11-pc-gaming/

 

also (just for reference) what exactly is your PSU?

Link to post
Share on other sites

there's strange behaviour since this video.... everybody asks about bottlenecks on this forums suddenly
must be coincidence 

 

 

/s


GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | Dell P2314H

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to upgrade my gpu, so should i go for GTX 1050 TI or a GTX 1060 6GB version?

And i want to know weather it will be bottle necked by my cpu ?

 

My config- 

CPU - Pentium G4560

RAM - HYPERX 8gig 2133mhz ddr4

MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte H110M v2

GPU - AMD HD 6870

STORAGE - 1x 128gig SSD, 1x 2tb hdd

PSU - ANTEC 450W 80+ Bronze

CABINET - OEM (for my old build with 1 exaust fan and side grills)

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sounds like WoW is more demanding than Smite ._. don't forget different games tax the same system differently.

lower the settings on WoW, or if you really want to....

 

this isn't normal. are your drivers up to date?

you might want to create a new thread in Troubleshooting or PC Gaming for that new GTX 1080ti

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/11-pc-gaming/

 

also (just for reference) what exactly is your PSU?

Ty for response. Corsair rm 750 x brand new. voltages are completely kosher too. I've played csgo since beta release and it wouldn't surprise me if there's an issue with optimization exclusively.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pratyush07 said:

I want to upgrade my gpu, so should i go for GTX 1050 TI or a GTX 1060 6GB version?

And i want to know weather it will be bottle necked by my cpu ?

 

My config- 

CPU - Pentium G4560

RAM - HYPERX 8gig 2133mhz ddr4

MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte H110M v2

GPU - AMD HD 6870

STORAGE - 1x 128gig SSD, 1x 2tb hdd

PSU - ANTEC 450W 80+ Bronze

CABINET - OEM (for my old build with 1 exaust fan and side grills)

which game are you looking to use this on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a really good deal on a second hand i7 3770(non k)system and slapped a gtx 1060 in it. And now I have n idea if that was a smart move or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BosVark said:

Got a really good deal on a second hand i7 3770(non k)system and slapped a gtx 1060 in it. And now I have n idea if that was a smart move or not.

No, great pairing


DIOCLETIAN III : CPU: Core i7-8700K @5.0GhZ || CPU COOLER : BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 || MOBO : ASUS STRIX Z370-E || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync || SSDs: 970 EVO 250GB (Boot), 850 EVO 1TB, MX500 1TB | PSU: EVGA G2 850W w/CableMod cables || Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG RGB SE || Monitor: Acer Predator X34A ||  KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Browns) || Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero with deskpad || Audio: SteelSeries Arctis 5, Blue Snowball iCE || Case Fans : 3x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax ||

MAXIMIAN II  : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9GhZ || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master ML240L w/ Noctua NF-S12B Reduxes || MOBO : MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: Crucial P1 500GB, TeamGroup L5 Lite 3D 240GB || HDD: Barracuda 2TB || PSU: SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 650W w/ Cablemod extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 Black || Monitor: ACER KG1 1440p 144HZ || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow X Chroma TE  || Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 310 || Audio: HyperX Cloud Alpha || Case Fans : Noctua NF-S12B Redux x2, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 ||

LAPTOP - Dell XPS 15 9570: CPU: Core i7-8750H || GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB || RAM: 2*8GB SODIMM || SSD: 512GB M.2 SSD || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || Monitor: 15" 3840x2160 Touchscreen ||  KEYBOARD: Laptop keyboard  || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Audio: HyperX Cloud II

MARCUS AURELIUS II (HTPC) : CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.1 GhZ || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i Pro || MOBO : Gigabyte B450M-DS3H || GPU: MSi GTX 1660 Ti  || RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3000) || SSD: 850 Evo 500GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB || PSU: Corsair TX550M w/ CableMod extensions || CASE: Corsair 280X Crystal || Monitor: LG 65SK8000PUA 65" 4K TV || KEYBOARD: Corsair K63 Wireless || Mouse: Logitech M720 (Poor man's MX Master) || Audio: Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar || Case Fans : 1x Noctua P14S Redux, 1x S340 Elite case fan

TEST BOX  : CPU: Core i5-7500 || CPU COOLER : Enermax ET-ST40 Fit || MOBO : Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 Ti || RAM: 1x8GB G.Skill Aegis || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB || HDD: WD Green 500GB x2 || PSU: Corsair CX750M || CASE: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 || Monitor: ViewSonic 21.5" 1080p || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2016  || Mouse: HyperX Pulsefire || Audio: Some $20 Walmart special || Case Fans : 3x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 ||

OTHER : Old laptop (i5, iGPU, 500GB SSD) || Various Q2Q Dells || White MacBook with 240GB Inland SSD

MOBILE : Galaxy S7 (32GB + 64GB uSD) || iPad Air 2 || Rooted Kindle FIre 7" ||

Ongoing projects : PowerMac G5 conversion ||

Forum salt merchant so granted by @dizmo, Grand Deacon of the Glorious Brethren and Guardians of the Most High Overlords Asus and Arctic Cooling. All hail thy lord and savior the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys I've got a small problem...

 

At the moment my cpu is OC'd i7 4770k @4.2 with 16GB RAM @2133mhz and yet Ive bought a 1080 TI 11gb.

 

The question is - should I reconsider changing the mobo/cpu and ram to new generation or I can stay with the current setup for like 1-2 more years?

My PC is mainly for playing games and sometimes doing some stuff in photoshop/illustrator, occasionally also in after effects.

 

I've heard there's no much difference between DDR3 and DDR4 in terms of gaming so idk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Should I upgrade my GPU ? The bottleneck is real ? I only play PUBG and CS:GO.

PUBG very low settings 1920x1080 - 75-120FPS 

CSGO very low settings 1280x1024 - 300+FPS

 

 CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 4.80GHz 1.28v
 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
 Motherboard: MSI Z370 KRAIT GAMING
 Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4GB OC +25%
 Storage: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 128GB + SSD ADATA XPG SX900 128GB + Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB
 RAM: Corsair Vengeance Red LED 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15
 PSU: Thermaltake Hamburg 530W
 Display: BenQ Gaming Zowie XL2411 24 inch 1ms Black 144Hz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BLITZERIAN said:

Should I upgrade my GPU ? The bottleneck is real ? I only play PUBG and CS:GO.

PUBG very low settings 1920x1080 - 75-120FPS 

CSGO very low settings 1280x1024 - 300+FPS

 

 CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 4.80GHz 1.28v
 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
 Motherboard: MSI Z370 KRAIT GAMING
 Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4GB OC +25%
 Storage: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 128GB + SSD ADATA XPG SX900 128GB + Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB
 RAM: Corsair Vengeance Red LED 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15
 PSU: Thermaltake Hamburg 530W
 Display: BenQ Gaming Zowie XL2411 24 inch 1ms Black 144Hz

 

http://thebottlenecker.com/#calculator

 

I'm using a 980 to get by with my 8700k and the caculator only shows 23%, but my fps is far more stable than with my 1080ti. Looks like a fine setup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! 

Just need a little help to prevent bottlenecking on my gaming PC. I'm new to upgrading/building PCs, but I know how the basics work because I'm an IT intern. I want to upgrade a Dell Precision T1700 I just got from a friend to use for gaming that has the following specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3

GPU: quadro k600 (this GPU can only support CSGO on ~18 fps :/ I know--it stinks)

RAM: 2x 8 GB DDR4

PSU: 240 watts

 

I'm planning on getting these upgrades:

PSU: Corsair 750 Watts

GPU: Ti-1060 6GB

CPU: either Core i7-4820k or Core i7-8700k

 

I used the bottlenecker calculator thanks to @aezakmi to get an idea for what CPU I should get, and I think the TI-1060 is the GPU I want. If there's any better recommendations for what I should get, that would be much appreciated. I'm planning to get the parts to upgrade this PC and then use those parts to start building a newer, better gaming PC so I don't want to buy a new PC or start from scratch just yet.

 

Does anyone happen to know if upgrading to that CPU would work with this PC? And if it's a matter of compatability with the motherboard, how would I find out the motherboard information without fully taking the PC apart?  Thanks! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, VegetableStu said:
On 2018-08-05 at 7:04 PM, ArabLord said:

I have a lot of questions about bottlenecks if anyone can help. 

I currently have an i7 4770k and a gtx 770. It’s doing ok so far but I want a 1080. Will this cause any bottleneck and should just get a new system with the 8700k with the 1080 or the the i9 and 1180 when they come out?

What games are you looking to play and what programs are you looking to run? the 4770k might do fairly okay for another year or 3, so

All range of games from rise of the tomb raider/assassins creed/Witcher 3 to games like stardew valley/minecraft. 

 

I would prefer to have high settings with 60fps though. 

A 4 gen old processor can do well for another 3 years?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow thx so much for responding to everyone!! Primarily I play Battlefront 2 and Xcom 2(heavily modded). I do drop some frames here and thereo n xcom 2 (mainly on deployment cut scenes and fighting the lost) but I've never been sure if it's because of bottlenecking or mods

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

._.

 

What games are you playing in particular?

 

What games or work programs do you have in mind?

 

What games are you playing in particular? and which VR games/programs are you looking to do?

 

Yeah a new(er) CPU and motherboard would help alleviate things a bit. Keep in mind most common modern systems run on DDR4, so you'd be looking at a new system

do you have a framerate number while you're in farming simulator? if it's about 50 to 70fps you should really do fine ._.

 

 (do also make a new thread in New Builds and Planning if you decide to start planning your upgrade https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

 

what kind of footage format are you working with? are they in cineform or other formats? most of the time you'd be looking at CPU for most codecs, but your CPU should do fine.

You should make a new thread in New Builds and Planning, you'd get more visibility there. https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

 

also are there any GPU-based plugins you're aware of?

 

  1. Good on you!
  2. Should do fine in most medium settings. which games are you looking to play?
  3. (do make a new thread in Graphics Cards, you'll get better help there https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/16-graphics-cards/)

 

as they say in my hometown: "you ask me, I ask who?"

 

How much RAM do you have? What are you looking to run on your system?

 

What games or programs are you looking to run on them?

 

those are pretty old ._. what programs are you trying to run?

 

What games are you looking to play and what programs are you looking to run? the 4770k might do fairly okay for another year or 3, so

 

._.

 

what programs and games are you looking at? You'll get better help at new builds and planning https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

 

Higher clockspeed. turning the frame counter off will help.

 

what games and programs do you want to run?

 

for which game and programs?

 

which games are they? if you're around 50 to 70fps you shouldn't need to worry

 

does it stutter when you play? is the fortnite files on an SSD?

in general I'd point to CPU since the 1050ti should be fine for 60-ish fps on mid-ish-high

 

no one knows yet. also you're doing fine if you're currently stable around 60 or 120fps.

 

what program or game are you wanting to run this on?

 

any specific games or programs you're looking to play with?

 

(Silly is answering 32 quotes at once, LOL)

two things: look into 16GB RAM and a fairly well-sized SSD (say let's start with 0.5TB). either of them are contributing to read times. (RAM for playback, HDD for file handling and exporting)

 

if you feel the export times are a bit long, having a CPU with more cores will help. I was about to say your GPU should do fine if you're not using too many effects or layers, but I forget you're using a laptop (EDIT: I mean like you can't possibly upgrade the CPU or GPU on it), so your next step would be working towards a better PC/Laptop. Save up towards a new system and make a new thread in New Builds and Planning whenever you're ready https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

 

mmm, particle effects slowdown is harder to pinpoint. sometimes it's the CPU not accounting for the particles quick enough. sometimes it the GPU having to shade a lot of effects. sometimes it's the game that's not too optimised for it.

there's a reason reviewers stick to specific games when reviewing hardware, and that's due to the consistent and not too varied "load" between light scenes and sudden demanding detail

 

try turning off/down the particle effects if you can and see if it runs better. if it's somewhat the same then you can start doing things like overclocking and whatnot. you should do fine when you're stable around 60 or 120 fps.

 

One GPU. SLI only works when it does (that's where driver update comes in), and two GPUs usually does 180% ish rather than 200%, again, when it works.

 

Are you stuttering in CSGO or PUGB alone? if it's only when streaming then what are your streaming settings?

(also pointing to entire system in general for streaming, but let's see what you're working with first)

 

which game and program are you using?

 

which game are you playing? how bad is the framerate? are you okay with medium settings?

 

on which game and program?

 

do you have a detailed graphics setting in BF1? are you playing on a hard surface or on your bed?

 

what will you be using your rig for? (and maybe which games?)

 

Back up all your data on your Hitachi HDD. come back later.

 

which game or program do you want to run?

just to start off, you're looking at longer load times with the HDDs, but don't entirely exclude them from your system. use them for general storage.

 

if you're around 60 or 120 fps stable you should do fine. if you're experiencing stutters, which game is it?

 

for which game or program?

 

which game is this for?

 

when and how often does it stutter while playing Rainbow 6 Siege? (also is your game on an SSD?)

 

what are your RAM and storage specs? PUGB is pretty object0intensive (like GTA) so my first guess would point to the CPU

 

13 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

._.

 

What games are you playing in particular?

 

What games or work programs do you have in mind?

 

What games are you playing in particular? and which VR games/programs are you looking to do?

 

Yeah a new(er) CPU and motherboard would help alleviate things a bit. Keep in mind most common modern systems run on DDR4, so you'd be looking at a new system

do you have a framerate number while you're in farming simulator? if it's about 50 to 70fps you should really do fine ._.

 

 (do also make a new thread in New Builds and Planning if you decide to start planning your upgrade https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

 

what kind of footage format are you working with? are they in cineform or other formats? most of the time you'd be looking at CPU for most codecs, but your CPU should do fine.

You should make a new thread in New Builds and Planning, you'd get more visibility there. https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

 

also are there any GPU-based plugins you're aware of?

 

  1. Good on you!
  2. Should do fine in most medium settings. which games are you looking to play?
  3. (do make a new thread in Graphics Cards, you'll get better help there https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/16-graphics-cards/)

 

as they say in my hometown: "you ask me, I ask who?"

 

How much RAM do you have? What are you looking to run on your system?

 

What games or programs are you looking to run on them?

 

those are pretty old ._. what programs are you trying to run?

 

What games are you looking to play and what programs are you looking to run? the 4770k might do fairly okay for another year or 3, so

 

._.

 

what programs and games are you looking at? You'll get better help at new builds and planning https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

 

Higher clockspeed. turning the frame counter off will help.

 

what games and programs do you want to run?

 

for which game and programs?

 

which games are they? if you're around 50 to 70fps you shouldn't need to worry

 

does it stutter when you play? is the fortnite files on an SSD?

in general I'd point to CPU since the 1050ti should be fine for 60-ish fps on mid-ish-high

 

no one knows yet. also you're doing fine if you're currently stable around 60 or 120fps.

 

what program or game are you wanting to run this on?

 

any specific games or programs you're looking to play with?

 

(Silly is answering 32 quotes at once, LOL)

two things: look into 16GB RAM and a fairly well-sized SSD (say let's start with 0.5TB). either of them are contributing to read times. (RAM for playback, HDD for file handling and exporting)

 

if you feel the export times are a bit long, having a CPU with more cores will help. I was about to say your GPU should do fine if you're not using too many effects or layers, but I forget you're using a laptop (EDIT: I mean like you can't possibly upgrade the CPU or GPU on it), so your next step would be working towards a better PC/Laptop. Save up towards a new system and make a new thread in New Builds and Planning whenever you're ready https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

 

mmm, particle effects slowdown is harder to pinpoint. sometimes it's the CPU not accounting for the particles quick enough. sometimes it the GPU having to shade a lot of effects. sometimes it's the game that's not too optimised for it.

there's a reason reviewers stick to specific games when reviewing hardware, and that's due to the consistent and not too varied "load" between light scenes and sudden demanding detail

 

try turning off/down the particle effects if you can and see if it runs better. if it's somewhat the same then you can start doing things like overclocking and whatnot. you should do fine when you're stable around 60 or 120 fps.

 

One GPU. SLI only works when it does (that's where driver update comes in), and two GPUs usually does 180% ish rather than 200%, again, when it works.

 

Are you stuttering in CSGO or PUGB alone? if it's only when streaming then what are your streaming settings?

(also pointing to entire system in general for streaming, but let's see what you're working with first)

 

which game and program are you using?

 

which game are you playing? how bad is the framerate? are you okay with medium settings?

 

on which game and program?

 

do you have a detailed graphics setting in BF1? are you playing on a hard surface or on your bed?

 

what will you be using your rig for? (and maybe which games?)

 

Back up all your data on your Hitachi HDD. come back later.

 

which game or program do you want to run?

just to start off, you're looking at longer load times with the HDDs, but don't entirely exclude them from your system. use them for general storage.

 

if you're around 60 or 120 fps stable you should do fine. if you're experiencing stutters, which game is it?

 

for which game or program?

 

which game is this for?

 

when and how often does it stutter while playing Rainbow 6 Siege? (also is your game on an SSD?)

 

what are your RAM and storage specs? PUGB is pretty object0intensive (like GTA) so my first guess would point to the CPU

Wow thx so much for responding to everyone!! Primarily I play Battlefront 2 and Xcom 2(heavily modded). I do drop some frames here and thereo n xcom 2 (mainly on deployment cut scenes and fighting the lost) but I've never been sure if it's because of bottlenecking or mods

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BLITZERIAN said:

Should I upgrade my GPU ? The bottleneck is real ? I only play PUBG and CS:GO.

PUBG very low settings 1920x1080 - 75-120FPS 

CSGO very low settings 1280x1024 - 300+FPS

 

 CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 4.80GHz 1.28v
 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
 Motherboard: MSI Z370 KRAIT GAMING
 Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4GB OC +25%
 Storage: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 128GB + SSD ADATA XPG SX900 128GB + Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB
 RAM: Corsair Vengeance Red LED 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15
 PSU: Thermaltake Hamburg 530W
 Display: BenQ Gaming Zowie XL2411 24 inch 1ms Black 144Hz

 

Definitely the gpu. Everything is else is way overpowered for those games

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ArabLord said:

All range of games from rise of the tomb raider/assassins creed/Witcher 3 to games like stardew valley/minecraft. 

 

I would prefer to have high settings with 60fps though. 

A 4 gen old processor can do well for another 3 years?

sorry, miscounted somewhere. I stretched my first PC pretty far (i7 870. for 7 years). Stuck to medium settings for all my games. if I started with a 4770 instead (somehow with a time machine) I would still stretch it for 7 years, maybe one more. my work demands have changed though, so my current PC (2-3 years old) might see an upgrade in a year's time ,_,

 

you'll do more if you upgrade from your GTX 770 though, this will get you better shadows and lighting effects (and larger textures with more VRAM). if you don't stutter during very busy scenes (e.g. you walk into a new area and the game doesn't freeze for a few seconds to load everything that's appearing) you should really do fine, otherwise lower the model detail in settings, or plan your next upgrade with a better CPU. make a post in New Builds when you're starting to plan for one. https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

 

Start with a GTX1060 or equivalent (that's if you can get a 970 or 980 secondhand) (or whatever's next on Nvidia's board. 1150? 2050?) (you can try looking into an AMD RX 570 or 580, but Assassisin's creed origins may hover under 45fps. definitely try for secondhand or clearance if you decide to buy it, don't buy this new).  also do the lower model detail thing first to see if you can alleviate some stutters if you feel that it happens.

 

2 hours ago, Scary said:

Wow thx so much for responding to everyone!! Primarily I play Battlefront 2 and Xcom 2(heavily modded). I do drop some frames here and thereo n xcom 2 (mainly on deployment cut scenes and fighting the lost) but I've never been sure if it's because of bottlenecking or mods

does it drop for a frame or two or does it just stop drawing for a second or two?

Personally I'd lower the settings a bit (possibly just one setting. either the texture detail or model detail) since it's much quicker than actually buying new hardware ._.

also might depend on how the game handles mod files and what the game is given, so anything too specific might require a visit the forum where the mod came from

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video, I was curious as to what you thought about my rig on the bottleneck front.

 

Rig:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x

MB ASUS PRIME b350

16GB DDR4 RAM

4GB AMD RADEON RX 560

Link to post
Share on other sites

This can't be right.

image.png.8bc89592178fc0b0a744d209e1ed0b0b.png


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Windows 10 Home  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

This can't be right.

image.png.8bc89592178fc0b0a744d209e1ed0b0b.png

According to the bottlenecker, ever single server operated by datacenters like facebook and google around the world are extreme bottlenecks because they usually have strong xeon processors but have only the most basic VGA graphics chip for video output.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

According to the bottlenecker, ever single server operated by datacenters like facebook and google around the world are extreme bottlenecks because they usually have strong xeon processors but have only the most basic VGA graphics chip for video output.

Well yea I can see that... but a 8 year old GTX 550Ti bottlenecking my 8 year old Phenom chip? And that I should upgrade to a RX 570? That's not right.


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Windows 10 Home  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×