What RAM Should I Get

42 minutes ago, moneyfire82 said:

I recently bought this desktop and I would like to upgrade to 16 gigs of RAM.  I just don't know what's compatible and what brand I should get.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/new-inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3670-desktop/fdcwgmmtcfl407s

Thanks!  

Check out the comments below the link you've sent. There is someone asking the same question and an answer with the specific RAM is given. It is DDR4 with 2666MHz, but no timings are given. Maybe contact the DELL support for that question.

US_SALES@dell.com

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

Check out the comments below the link you've sent. There is someone asking the same question and an answer with the specific RAM is given. It is DDR4 with 2666MHz, but no timings are given. Maybe contact the DELL support for that question.

US_SALES@dell.com

I did and the ram they were trying to sell me was $283 for 16 gigs.  That seemed like a lot....

5 minutes ago, moneyfire82 said:

I did and the ram they were trying to sell me was $283 for 16 gigs.  That seemed like a lot....

Yeah thats a log, Just ask them what Timings the RAM has. And then buy it whereever you want to.

5 minutes ago, zimou13 said:

8GB is more than enough for games. Most motherboards supports DDR3 ram, so buy the DDR3 module. For the speed i recommend at least 1600MHz. If you're going to buy 8GB, buy 2 sticks of 4GB [usually written like 8GB (2 X 4)]and run it in dual channel mode.

The built in RAM is DDR4 and has 2666MHz.

8 minutes ago, Hip said:

Yeah thats a log, Just ask them what Timings the RAM has. And then buy it whereever you want to.

It's that simple?

12 minutes ago, zimou13 said:

8GB is more than enough for games. Most motherboards supports DDR3 ram, so buy the DDR3 module. For the speed i recommend at least 1600MHz. If you're going to buy 8GB, buy 2 sticks of 4GB [usually written like 8GB (2 X 4)]and run it in dual channel mode.

No this is wrong, it is not about “most”. all recent motherboards only support ddr4. You need to look at the system and decide based on either the motherboard it says or the ram listed. Never recommend something just because it is ‘common’ 

2 minutes ago, Wolther said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#t=14&Z=8192001&sort=price&s=402666&h=0&xcx=0

would pick one of these, made sure it’s 288 pin and the same frequency, timings shouldn’t matter really 

you can change it to your country if you’re not from u.s

Thanks!  Any opinion on which brand I should choose? 

• 3 weeks later...

What's the Service Tag of this Dell?

Usually you can search the service tag on Dell's web site and there should be a document of some kind for memory compatibility.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti