Will I will lag in my situation?

J.b091

Will I lag (pausing and buffering) if I will try to watch 4k movie (through Plex) with 72.7 Mb/s bitrate with my current Internet speed which is 50 Mb/s? My media server PC and TV are connected through internet cable in router, not HDMI or wifi...

Over the internet? Yes. On your PC? Depends on the hardware. You need a somewhat beefy current gen GPU or a current gen Intel i5/i7 CPU/AMD APU to playback 4K video.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Over the internet? Yes. On your PC? Depends on the hardware. You need a somewhat beefy current gen GPU or a current gen Intel i5/i7 CPU/AMD APU to playback 4K video.

I have i7 3770k & gtx 1080 where Plex server is installed. My TV and PC are connected in wifi router but with cable.

1 hour ago, J.b091 said:

I have i7 3770k & gtx 1080 where Plex server is installed. My TV and PC are connected in wifi router but with cable.

So what does your PC have then? And above all, why ask here if you're the only one that can test this setup at all :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

15 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

So what does your PC have then? And above all, why ask here if you're the only one that can test this setup at all :P 

My PC has that i7, gtx 1070 and 16gb ram with 12tb storage which I use for both gaming and media server.

I don't know :D
Yesterday I watched Unsane 4k quality, it had that bitrate I mentioned above and few times it stopped for 1-2 seconds and then got resumed. Tried enable subtitles and I wasn't able to watch at all because of constant pausing resuming. Disabled subtitles, and it went ok, but still stopped few times, but as I said only for 2 seconds and only few times. So my question is, why it happened? Because that movie bitrate was higher than my actual Internet speed or my Internet speed has nothing to do with network speed or...?

Internet speed isn't relevant unless you're watching from outside of your network (like at a friend's house, the library, whatever). Either the Plex server choked on the transcode or your PC isn't fast enough. 

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Internet speed isn't relevant unless you're watching from outside of your network (like at a friend's house, the library, whatever). Either the Plex server choked on the transcode or your PC isn't fast enough. 

Plex wasn't transcoding. I went in Plex (tv app) options and lowered quality to 1080p 20Mb/s & only after that Plex started transcoding video and CPU went from 5% to 80-90%, working hard and it was still lagging and even worse. Then I went back to original 4K quality and CPU load went back to 5-0% because it uses directplay & stopped transcoding the video. So I don't think it's my PC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2018 at 10:40 AM, J.b091 said:

Plex wasn't transcoding. I went in Plex (tv app) options and lowered quality to 1080p 20Mb/s & only after that Plex started transcoding video and CPU went from 5% to 80-90%, working hard and it was still lagging and even worse. Then I went back to original 4K quality and CPU load went back to 5-0% because it uses directplay & stopped transcoding the video. So I don't think it's my PC.

Could very well be a network issue if you're watching content with an average bitrate of ~70 Mbit/s. Some scenes can have higher bitrates, causing buffering. After I connected everything with a gigabit switch vs a standard 100 Mbit, I never had any network related issues anymore. Plex used to force transcoding when subtitles are enabled, I'm not sure if it still does, but with 4k content that murders performance.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

14 hours ago, tikker said:

Could very well be a network issue if you're watching content with an average bitrate of ~70 Mbit/s. Some scenes can have higher bitrates, causing buffering. After I connected everything with a gigabit switch vs a standard 100 Mbit, I never had any network related issues anymore. Plex used to force transcoding when subtitles are enabled, I'm not sure if it still does, but with 4k content that murders performance.

It doesn't transcode anymore with subtitles, unless you change quality from original into lower one. Why gigabit switch helped your case? I don't understand. If my internet speed is lower than movie's bitrate how gigabit switch can help? I have 50mb speed package.

4 hours ago, J.b091 said:

It doesn't transcode anymore with subtitles, unless you change quality from original into lower one. Why gigabit switch helped your case? I don't understand. If my internet speed is lower than movie's bitrate how gigabit switch can help? I have 50mb speed package.

Ah that's good to know.

You're streaming in your home right? Then as @NelizMastr master said, internet speed is irrelevant. If you were to stream to somewhere outside of your home, you'd be limited to 50 Mbit/s, but that has nothing to do with your in-home speed. AFAIK all normal ethernet stuff are 100 Mb connections nowadays, which is what you're using right now probably.

Your situation is this: your router/switch or whatever can handle about 100 Mb/s. The content you are watching is 70 Mb/s  on average, but it may peak during more intensive scenes. Imagine it hits 120 Mb/s for a short while. Your network cannot handle that, so it has to buffer. Connecting through a gigabit switch gives you 1 Gb/s bandwidth, or about 1000 Mb/s. You may need to bypass your router though if it doesn't support gigabit ethernet.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Ah that's good to know.

You're streaming in your home right? Then as @NelizMastr master said, internet speed is irrelevant. If you were to stream to somewhere outside of your home, you'd be limited to 50 Mbit/s, but that has nothing to do with your in-home speed. AFAIK all normal ethernet stuff are 100 Mb connections nowadays, which is what you're using right now probably.

Your situation is this: your router/switch or whatever can handle about 100 Mb/s. The content you are watching is 70 Mb/s  on average, but it may peak during more intensive scenes. Imagine it hits 120 Mb/s for a short while. Your network cannot handle that, so it has to buffer. Connecting through a gigabit switch gives you 1 Gb/s bandwidth, or about 1000 Mb/s. You may need to bypass your router though if it doesn't support gigabit ethernet.

That's right, I'm streaming in my home. Can you give me link of any gigabit switch with 1gb/s bandwith? I'm not good in network stuff. Situation at my home is like this:
Have main router/modem from my IPS which provides me optical internet, from there one network cable goes in my wifi router and also 2 other cables go in my PC where Plex is installed and my TV. They are all in one network. If I buy gigabit switch (I need it to be wifi as well, so we have internet in our phones too) it will replace that another wifi router right?

9 hours ago, J.b091 said:

That's right, I'm streaming in my home. Can you give me link of any gigabit switch with 1gb/s bandwith? I'm not good in network stuff. Situation at my home is like this:
Have main router/modem from my IPS which provides me optical internet, from there one network cable goes in my wifi router and also 2 other cables go in my PC where Plex is installed and my TV. They are all in one network. If I buy gigabit switch (I need it to be wifi as well, so we have internet in our phones too) it will replace that another wifi router right?

A switch isn't a router, it just allow things to talk to each other. For the wifi you can keep the router. I don't think there is gigabit wifi yet and streaming 4k over wifi is a bad experience.

What router do you have? Maybe it already has gigabit support. If it does, try connecting the PC and TV to the router instead of the modem.

A switch isn't a router, it just allow things to talk to each other. For the wifi you can keep the router. I don't think there is gigabit wifi yet and streaming 4k over wifi is a bad experience.

What router do you have? Maybe it already has gigabit support. If it does, try connecting the PC and TV to the router instead of the modem.

It's standard 100mb./s wifi router. In short I will have to buy gigabit switch and cat 6 cables as I researched. I'll plan to buy them at the end of month and let's see if it helps, it should. I will connect gigabit switch and tv/pc together and for wifi I will use different port from my main router.

4 hours ago, J.b091 said:

It's standard 100mb./s wifi router. In short I will have to buy gigabit switch and cat 6 cables as I researched. I'll plan to buy them at the end of month and let's see if it helps, it should. I will connect gigabit switch and tv/pc together and for wifi I will use different port from my main router.

Yeah CAT5e or CAT6 cables should work. What do you mean different port for WiFi? You won't have to change anything. Just run a cable from the router to the switch so all connected devices have internet as well, and connect the TV and PC to the switch. I have the Netgear GS305, which does the trick for me.