AMD Ryzen and Intel Coffee Lake CPU Market Share at 50% Each in July

Clueless_Gamer2020

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-amd-ryzen-cpu-market-share-july-2018/ 

AMD Ryzen and Intel Coffee Lake CPU Market Share at 50% Each in July – Strong Ryzen Sales, Intel CPUs Still Report Higher Revenue

for the month of July. According to the report, AMD Ryzen CPUs have reported higher market share than the previous month, surpassing Intel after months of 8th generation lineup dominance.

For months, Intel’s 8th generation processors dominated the market with strong sales within the mainstream segment. AMD launched their 2nd generation Ryzen platform earlier this year and it has since played catch up to Intel’s 8th generation family that launched the previous year. Finally, AMD Ryzen processors are now witnessing strong sales, leading to a significant jump in market share.

In terms of revenue made from the CPU sales, Intel chips accounted for a total of 58% (~1,900,000 EUROS) while AMD chips accounted for a total of 42% (1,400,000 EUROS). Both Intel and AMD saw reported for increased revenue from processor sales but the thing to note is that the AMD sales jump isn’t represented in the revenue made by the retailer.

IMO, I think AMD is starting to gain market share in CPU's, not because they have a superior product to Intel, but rather because their products have been discounted, but also provides good performance for the money. the gain in market share won't provide them with any addiction revenue.

I think AMD's strategy since they begun to change things around revolve around going market share, and being competitive to intel. once they capture a big chunk of the CPU and/or GPU market they will probably decide to raise their prices.

This is just the beginning, in the coming months and years AMD will definitely shake up the CPU/GPU market for the better. 

the following image shows the # of CPU market share between July 2017-July 2018.. this is the first month where AMD is neck to neck with Intel.. Will they surpass them in the coming months????

Intel-AMD-CPU-Market-Share_3.png.f4247c0225bc915ce10f5d59792edb66.png

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Those are just sales figures from mindfactory.de, though. It doesn't really define if AMD really is gaining significantly higher track hold.

Consumer-built CPU space was never actually terrible to AMD during the Bulldozer era. It's obviously better now, but I do feel people are a bit more surprised about AMD running around Intel in this space than they should be.

I also don't think this was enough content for a full post at even WCCFTech.

As soon as I saw the headline I was wondering how it was measured... so sales from one store. While interesting, it is only one part of a bigger picture and I wonder how it fits in. For example, has there been a similar shift to pre-built systems? Probably much more difficult to measure that one...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

50% for of units sold being AMD is only possible if the store is focusing on a particular segment- e.g. system builders.

3 hours ago, porina said:

As soon as I saw the headline I was wondering how it was measured... so sales from one store. While interesting, it is only one part of a bigger picture and I wonder how it fits in. For example, has there been a similar shift to pre-built systems? Probably much more difficult to measure that one...

I cant wait to see the steam survey information for the next 6 months or so, that will be somewhat more telling. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Unless this is across a country like US across EU or China or sales of a major Retailer like newegg over at least 6 months it means nothing.

7 hours ago, Clueless_Gamer2020 said:

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-amd-ryzen-cpu-market-share-july-2018/ 

AMD Ryzen and Intel Coffee Lake CPU Market Share at 50% Each in July – Strong Ryzen Sales, Intel CPUs Still Report Higher Revenue

IMO, I think AMD is starting to gain market share in CPU's, not because they have a superior product to Intel, but rather because their products have been discounted, but also provides good performance for the money. the gain in market share won't provide them with any addiction revenue.

I think AMD's strategy since they begun to change things around revolve around going market share, and being competitive to intel. once they capture a big chunk of the CPU and/or GPU market they will probably decide to raise their prices.

This is just the beginning, in the coming months and years AMD will definitely shake up the CPU/GPU market for the better. 

the following image shows the # of CPU market share between July 2017-July 2018.. this is the first month where AMD is neck to neck with Intel.. Will they surpass them in the coming months????

Intel-AMD-CPU-Market-Share_3.png.f4247c0225bc915ce10f5d59792edb66.png

AMD, welcome back

11 hours ago, Clueless_Gamer2020 said:

I would hope not, and not just because I like things to be less costly.  AMD needs a lot of free help from the open source community and greater general populace for both software fixes for their own immediate products but also software support from consumer & professional application developers.

For example, If AMD wants adobe to stop screwing them over on the software front, then they need to have a chunk of the market that forces Adobe to optimize for more than just intel, or lose substantial sales to alternative apps.

If AMD jumps the gun and increases pricing(beyond modest amounts) before they've got a lot more support, they'll shoot themselves in the foot.

7 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I would hope not, and not just because I like things to be less costly.  AMD needs a lot of free help from the open source community and greater general populace for both software fixes for their own immediate products but also software support from consumer & professional application developers.

For example, If AMD wants adobe to stop screwing them over on the software front, then they need to have a chunk of the market that forces Adobe to optimize for more than just intel, or lose substantial sales to alternative apps.

If AMD jumps the gun and increases pricing(beyond modest amounts) before they've got a lot more support, they'll shoot themselves in the foot.

there are other ways of doing that, one of them is grabbing some amd software engineers and dropping them at the front door of adobe, they will probably keep having their prices slightly lower than they could partly because they don't have the same brand recognition that intel has, so as they start to get more market share and recognition prices will increase, though i expect them to still be good and this will probably only happen with or after zen 3

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

there are other ways of doing that, one of them is grabbing some amd software engineers and dropping them at the front door of adobe, they will probably keep having their prices slightly lower than they could partly because they don't have the same brand recognition that intel has, so as they start to get more market share and recognition prices will increase, though i expect them to still be good and this will probably only happen with or after zen 3

Or maybe they will simply keep prices for their 8 cores the same will decreasing the cost to produce them. 

2 hours ago, cj09beira said:

Software engineers aren't cheap nor are they created equal, plus AMD only has soo many.  They've been soo small for soo long, that I'd bet they've been focused on their own side trying to make their stuff 'plugin' to intels world as best as they possibly can.  I'm honestly fairly shocked that the idea to just "drop engineers" at someones door even seems like an option to you.  You do realize I was using adobe as a well known example, right?  Its the same, or similar, thing for every piece of software out there, and thats just impossible.

AMD hasn't been able to get things to go their way in PC gaming support GPU wise, I don't see things playing all too differently CPU/chipset side for no good reason.  And they had much more strength in terms of market share GPU side till recently(though there is more to it).  If they push their luck people will bite back, and AMD needs them more then they need AMD.  It's not worth the risk at this point, they've a VERY long way to go and if they don't bide their time they'll get another painful lesson hubris.

Things are going well for AMD at the moment, they're making good money and they're quickly increasing market share.  Don't let short term greed hamper the long play.

11 hours ago, Clueless_Gamer2020 said:

IMO, I think AMD is starting to gain market share in CPU's, not because they have a superior product to Intel,

They have a superior product to Intel...

They offer more cores with lower power consumption than Intel does.

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Those are just sales figures from mindfactory.de, though. It doesn't really define if AMD really is gaining significantly higher track hold.

Sadly you are right.

And Germany is traditinally a place where AMD sold amazingly well, compared to other Areas.

There are other Areas (like the US) where AMD doesn't sell that well...

10 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Consumer-built CPU space was never actually terrible to AMD during the Bulldozer era. It's obviously better now, but I do feel people are a bit more surprised about AMD running around Intel in this space than they should be.

Agree.

And we are also talking about Germany, wich is one of the Countrys wich had traditionally a high amount of AMD Users anyway...

So not really surprising.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

Software engineers aren't cheap nor are they created equal, plus AMD only has soo many.  They been soo small for soo long, that I'd bet they've been focused on there own side trying to make their stuff 'plugin' to intels world as best as they possibly can.

AMD hasn't been able to get things to go their way in PC gaming support GPU wise, I don't see they playing all too differently CPU/chipset side either.  If they push their luck people will bite back, and AMD needs them more then they need AMD.  It's not worth the risk at this point, they a VERY long way to go and if they don't bide their time they'll get another painful lesson hubris.

Things are going well for AMD at the moment, they're making good money and they're quickly increasing market share.  Don't let short term greed hamper the long play.

its easier on the cpu side because its all on the same ISA, plus adobe's problem seems to be that most of their code is single threaded, so anything that would help amd would help intel too, so it should't be hard to get them to collaborate, about the low amount of workers, they have been increasing their budget each quarter for some time now, and they already have teams that do exactly this, it will just take some time before they have time to go to adobe's office 

13 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

its easier on the cpu side because its all on the same ISA, plus adobe's problem seems to be that most of their code is single threaded, so anything that would help amd would help intel too, so it should't be hard to get them to collaborate, about the low amount of workers, they have been increasing their budget each quarter for some time now, and they already have teams that do exactly this, it will just take some time before they have time to go to adobe's office 

Adobe was used as just an example.  An example where, hey wouldn't it be nice if their own devs did this stuff for themselves; or at least get most of it done.

Adobe recent delta has more to do with intel iGPU, hardware codecs, and poor software handling to dedicated GPU for generating previews especially.  Or so that's what it looks like to me.

FFS its an example to illustrate the value of having others wipe their own bums!

18 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

They have a superior product to Intel...

They offer more cores with lower power consumption than Intel does.

Sadly you are right.

And Germany is traditinally a place where AMD sold amazingly well, compared to other Areas.

There are other Areas (like the US) where AMD doesn't sell that well...

Agree.

And we are also talking about Germany, wich is one of the Countrys wich had traditionally a high amount of AMD Users anyway...

So not really surprising.

superior how cause 90% of software is serial right now?

imc?

igpu?

is intel even dabbling in emib?

not sure how anyone could label either or superior right now

both have their use cases just depends on use cases right now which is nice

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Adobe was used as just an example.  An example where, hey wouldn't it be nice if their own devs did this stuff for themselves; or at least get most of it done.

Adobe recent delta has more to do with intel iGPU, hardware codecs, and poor software handling to dedicated GPU for generating previews especially.  Or so that's what it looks like to me.

FFS its an example to illustrate the value of having others wipe their own bums!

one would think so right. but all the guys on top care about is features, optimization (which could mean huge gains) is left behind

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

superior how cause 90% of software is serial right now?

imc?

igpu?

is intel even dabbling in emib?

not sure how anyone could label either or superior right now

both have their use cases just depends on use cases right now which is nice

Exactly, both having their use cases is a good thing yet the diehard AMD side whines about competition but only want theirs to be superior lol.

Intel still has the strength of a better imc so you can toss cheap ram in a system and an igpu, which keeps ryzen from being in more OEM pc's, gaming pc's are just a small part of the market.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Exactly, both having their use cases is a good thing yet the diehard AMD side whines about competition but only want theirs to be superior lol.

Intel still has the strength of a better imc so you can toss cheap ram in a system and an igpu, which keeps ryzen from being in more OEM pc's, gaming pc's are just a small part of the market.

though there are some fanboys out there there are also those that realize that for the competition to last long term amd needs to stay on top for a while (1-2 years) other wise intel will release their own version of IF amd looses their advantage and we will be back to intel only as amd's R&D wont be big enough do go after the small tweaks that cost a lot 

1 hour ago, MoonSpot said:

Adobe products have always been like this. They are always several years behind in their tech & practically everything runs slower than it should. Unless it's on an Apple platform, then it runs great! The entire recent dustup about the Intel iGPU is a great example of that, and it can actually be done through the hardward decoders of both Nvidia & AMD GPUs as well. Of course, that's been true for years, Adobe is just way, way behind everyone.

Puget Systems has done some great, extensive testing on this stuff. Practically everything most Adobe products does, minus time line scrubbing in Premiere, is almost completely single threaded. That's why Consumer k-series parts have been their recommendation for the last several years for most Production tasks.

Actually, let's just say it. The Ryzen vs Intel debate has really only shown how brutally incompetent most Production Software Developers actually are. The software is selling into a market that's been multi-core for over a decade, perform a lot of tasks that should thread incredibly easily (though not all), and haven't worked to solve this problem for the entire decade of the 2010s so far. I also came across a decent comparison about tasks in Solidworks that tend to be bottlenecks, and, again, it was bottlenecked by single-core clock frequency in a program that is nearly all vector mathematics.

The "Corean War" has really just shown that Software Developers are utterly behind the times. For all of the AVX512 advocates, it isn't a good sign for the future.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Adobe products have always been like this. They are always several years behind in their tech & practically everything runs slower than it should. Unless it's on an Apple platform, then it runs great! The entire recent dustup about the Intel iGPU is a great example of that, and it can actually be done through the hardward decoders of both Nvidia & AMD GPUs as well. Of course, that's been true for years, Adobe is just way, way behind everyone.

Puget Systems has done some great, extensive testing on this stuff. Practically everything most Adobe products does, minus time line scrubbing in Premiere, is almost completely single threaded. That's why Consumer k-series parts have been their recommendation for the last several years for most Production tasks.

Actually, let's just say it. The Ryzen vs Intel debate has really only shown how brutally incompetent most Production Software Developers actually are. The software is selling into a market that's been multi-core for over a decade, perform a lot of tasks that should thread incredibly easily (though not all), and haven't worked to solve this problem for the entire decade of the 2010s so far. I also came across a decent comparison about tasks in Solidworks that tend to be bottlenecks, and, again, it was bottlenecked by single-core clock frequency in a program that is nearly all vector mathematics.

The "Corean War" has really just shown that Software Developers are utterly behind the times. For all of the AVX512 advocates, it isn't a good sign for the future.

it can't be easy, the fact is almost everyone struggles with it. CPU makers keep bundling more and more cores because they can't increase clock speed. They did it not to help consumers but because there was no other way out. 

People love to shit on Intel quad cores but the fact is that almost no software was using them, even a decade after them arrived. AMD wanted to throw as many cores as possible way before the Ryzen, and now that's the fight, but software doesn't keep up, no one does.

No one was stoping software companies from using more cores, they were out there for years in Intel and AMD. People always blamed Intel for only having the 4 cores but if software started using more cores Intel had no alternative but to release CPU's with more cores sooner, nobody did it. It's the chicken and the egg story, no one is blameless but it's way easier to put 10 cores in a CPU then to code for 10 cores.

Software companies have nothing to gain in only coding for one core, it's way more expensive to buy a 5ghz CPU than a 4 or 6 cores 2Ghz.

48 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Actually, let's just say it. The Ryzen vs Intel debate has really only shown how brutally incompetent most Production Software Developers actually are. The software is selling into a market that's been multi-core for over a decade, perform a lot of tasks that should thread incredibly easily (though not all), and haven't worked to solve this problem for the entire decade of the 2010s so far.

First Multi Core CPU came in May 2005 -> AMD Athlon X2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_64_X2#Athlon_64_X2

It took a while longer for it to become mainstream but just a year later, when Core 2 Duo came out, the prices of the Dual Core CPU fell dramatically and were in reach of most peoples.

There were even Pentium Dual Core Processors for the same LGA775 Plattform.

So only 2-3 years later, Dual Core CPUs were from top to bottom in the Lineup of the Manufacturers.

While Intel also had a MCM Version with two Core 2 Dies wich the called Core 2 Quad, wich AFAIR came in 2006...

So yeah, we are talking about roughly a decade with real mainstream Support for Multi Core processors....

People love to shit on Intel quad cores but the fact is that almost no software was using them, even a decade after them arrived.

Chicken <-> Egg Problem.

Intel kept the Prices of Quad cores high, with Haswell or Skylake we were talking about at least 150€ for a Quad Core.

And because of the lack of Hardware, there is no Software using it.

And because of lack of Software Support, there is no reason to get the Hardware.

Back in the day, there were some games that pushed the Hardware to the limits and forced you to upgrade because it ran like shit.

And there were no Detail Levels at the time, there wasn't even 3D at the time :)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

it can't be easy, the fact is almost everyone struggles with it. CPU makers keep bundling more and more cores because they can't increase clock speed. They did it not to help consumers but because there was no other way out. 

People love to shit on Intel quad cores but the fact is that almost no software was using them, even a decade after them arrived. AMD wanted to throw as many cores as possible way before the Ryzen, and now that's the fight, but software doesn't keep up, no one does.

No one was stoping software companies from using more cores, they were out there for years in Intel and AMD. People always blamed Intel for only having the 4 cores but if software started using more cores Intel had no alternative but to release CPU's with more cores sooner, nobody did it. It's the chicken and the egg story, no one is blameless but it's way easier to put 10 cores in a CPU then to code for 10 cores.

Software companies have nothing to gain in only coding for one core, it's way more expensive to buy a 5ghz CPU than a 4 or 6 cores 2Ghz.

You fail to understand how expensive CPU design is. It's a lot harder to make a CPU than it is to thread independent vector calculations. Some code will always be serial, but if you're selling to Workstation Users, there isn't any excuse for the shoddy nature of the current programs.