CPU speed gets limited to 0.78GHz

Hello guys...

Recently a new problem in my laptop arouse..

When the laptop is just turned on I can see my laptops CPU speed shown in task manager as 2.98GHz or whatever close to it...

then after about 10sec CPU speed falls down to 0.78GHz and stays constant at that speed no matter what application I run... It doesn't exceed or lower...

Also, there is a significant slowing down of my laptop currently.. so I think task manager is showing me the true speed of my CPU..

Is it a issue caused by malware or virus..

Extra Details about my laptop :

• CPU : Intel Core i7-4510U
  • RAM : 8GB 1600MHz

Please help...

Request any other details if required..

Is it thermal throttling?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I'd suggest either getting a shop to clean the inside of your case and reapply thermal compound or doing so yourself if that would cost too much. Watch some videos study it and you'll likely be able to do it for a local market equivalent of time spent and approximately $5-$10 USD.

Edited by Sernefarian
TYPO!

Rawr.

23 minutes ago, NoRomanBatmansAllowed said:

Is it thermal throttling?

No... As I think..

Why would you ask so?

24 minutes ago, Sernefarian said:

I'd suggest either getting a shop to clean the inside of your case and reapply thermal compound or doing so yourself if that would cost too much. Watch some videos study it and you'll likely be able to do it for a local market equivalent of time spent and approximately $5-$10 USD.

So... Is it something because of the dust and the thermal paste of my laptop..

Thank you.. I'll check it out :)

32 minutes ago, Gehiru Damnidu said:

So... Is it something because of the dust and the thermal paste of my laptop..

Thank you.. I'll check it out :)

It's possible, yes. It is not an ultimate definitive answer, however, particularly of it was a sudden change.

That severe of a throttle has me believing that something else is going wrong, however. I've never seen a thermal throttle that extreme before without the system just up and shutting down to protect itself.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Well I have read some Forum Questions like this which their CPU speed is limited to somewhere like mine... But no correct solution I saw..

But I saw something like The voltage can affect the CPU speed...

I just thought that this speed limitation is because of the plug that my laptop's charger is plugged into... Because earlier day when I turn on the laptop (plugged in) it showed an error message like 'The voltage received by the charger is not enough' at the boot time..

Butno it's not the reason.Whatever plug in my entire house doesn't did the thing..

But if still it's something with voltage will it get fixed if I adjust it in the BIOS..

Guys... So if my laptop is thermal trottling how can I fix it...

So yes I just saw that what you guys said looks so true.. I just saw my CPU speed dropping to 0.78GHz(and limited)

When I ran FIFA 18... So cleanup of my laptop might fix it right  :)

A Cleanup inside your laptop could certainly fix it, or at least decrease the amount to which your laptop is thermally throttling.

Two possible reasons for the sudden throttling below. There are more possibilities however.

Did you update your laptop's BIOS recently? If you did that could perhaps be one of the things causing the throttling. Basically the BIOS didn't quite update correctly so re-flashing to an older version might be in order as the you had and the update script didn't work well together.

It's also possible that at some point during the last week while it was on wall power there was a voltage spike or series of them that caused enough damage to the internals of the computer that it is now having difficulty in delivering enough power for the processor to operate at full capability. If such is the case then, sadly, you might have to get a new laptop.

Rawr.

I had an issue with my laptop like this where the trouble was a power limitation because I tried using a 60W brick when it wanted a 90W brick. The problem was that even after using a 90W brick, clearing the CMOS, updating/downgrading/reinstalling the bios, reinstalling windows, changing bios/OS power settings, reapplying thermal paste (even though there are no thermal issues), manually OCing, etc... It still refused to ever go back to the proper clock speed. I ended up being able to fix it by using throttlestop and having the service autostart on boot and I now get the expected speeds.

You should make sure there's not another obvious issue first (go through all the possibilities) but this is a last ditch option if you need to. Be careful with it though and make sure you are constantly monitoring temps since it will no longer autothrottle clock speeds and if you get too hot you can destroy the PC.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.