Windows 10 Pro as a Server, do i need CAL's

Go to solution Solved by HarryNyquist,
11 minutes ago, Kyte Xaranort said:

Thanks, that's what i thought but now i'm glad i got another person saying the same as wizardry. Do you happen to have a link or pdf showing that you don't need that though? I need something to provide the ceo that we don't need it for this basic stuff.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Oh lol looks like I'm wrong. If you want to host a server you have to use Windows Server. Windows 10 doesn't let you host servers.

Not that that REALLY matters, though. If you're worried about audits you should pretty much just use Linux, or buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of CALs + Windows Server licensing.

2.      Installation and Use Rights.

c.      Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(v)     use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

Hi everyone! 

Now I have had this question bounce around for awhile now and i can't seem to figure out an answer for this. I have a few windows 10 pro servers that host a few different things.

Server A.) Runs 2 VM's that also run windows 10 pro. Server A ONLY host's VM and Backup functionality for the VM's by connecting to server B. VM 1 Runs a Unifi AP Controller for about 56 AP's, 1 firewall, 7 switches. VM 2 runs a Unifi Camera Controller for 85 Cameras.

Server B.) Only Host's VM's of server A when Server A fails, other than that it is basically an archive server for the backups of server A.

Server C.) Only connects to server B and archives the backups taken from server A.

All server connections are through SMB sharing.

Also I do RDP into the server's to manage them.

There is also only one user (me) that use's and connect's to these servers

Now that you have an idea, do i need any CALs for the windows 10 pro servers? I know i need them for server 2016 but I can't find any answers to this question anywhere. Also I won't be able to switch to linux because of the cost it takes to replace me in the event of my retirement, quitting, death, etc.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

cals aren't inforced, so you don't need them anyways. There only there if you get inspeceted by microsoft.

I know there not enforced but there's always a chance in our field for a BSA audit so if we end up needing them will buy them, just would like to find out if there actually needed for this type of scenario. Thanks though :)

2 minutes ago, Kyte Xaranort said:

I know there not enforced but there's always a chance in our field for a BSA audit so if we end up needing them will buy them, just would like to find out if there actually needed for this type of scenario. Thanks though :)

Are you running a domain? Whats hosting that?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you running a domain? Whats hosting that?

we are running a few domains, but these are not domain joined there just workgroup and they get all there DHCP and DNS from the firewall and the firewall pulls the dns from our isp/google

2 minutes ago, Kyte Xaranort said:

we are running a few domains, but these are not domain joined there just workgroup and they get all there DHCP and DNS from the firewall and the firewall pulls the dns from our isp/google

you shouldnt' need a cal then as those systems aren't talking to a windows server.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you shouldnt' need a cal then as those systems aren't talking to a windows server.

That's what i was thinking but when you can't find anyone talking about this you kinda question yourself. Do possibly have a reference I would be able to offer to our ceo?

CALs are only for the windows server SKUs and common server software like SQL Server, SharePoint, and Exchange. If you're running a Windows 10 Pro box as a server and not using a software that requires CALs, then you don't need CALs.

5 minutes ago, Kyte Xaranort said:

That's what i was thinking but when you can't find anyone talking about this you kinda question yourself. Do possibly have a reference I would be able to offer to our ceo?

Call up microsoft? Thats seems to be the logical solution here...

2 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

CALs are only for the windows server SKUs and common server software like SQL Server, SharePoint, and Exchange. If you're running a Windows 10 Pro box as a server and not using a software that requires CALs, then you don't need CALs.

Thanks, that's what i thought but now i'm glad i got another person saying the same as wizardry. Do you happen to have a link or pdf showing that you don't need that though? I need something to provide the ceo that we don't need it for this basic stuff.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Call up microsoft? Thats seems to be the logical solution here...

Yeah i might have too, gonna give it a few hours on the forum and if nothing then i'll call them. thanks for your help wizardy.

11 minutes ago, Kyte Xaranort said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Oh lol looks like I'm wrong. If you want to host a server you have to use Windows Server. Windows 10 doesn't let you host servers.

Not that that REALLY matters, though. If you're worried about audits you should pretty much just use Linux, or buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of CALs + Windows Server licensing.

2.      Installation and Use Rights.

c.      Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(v)     use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

Alright so i got off the phone 3 times with Microsoft about this issue and after being tossed around like a damn ball all 3 times i finally got my answer and its not good. So basically from the several reps i talked to windows 10 home/pro/workstation are not allowed to do crap. Like literally nothing according to them. SMB sharing not allowed, hyper-v not allowed, workgroup only one user spanned between 2 pc's and your only allowed 1 smb folder more than that not allowed, hosting a simple controller program not allowed, camera server not allowed, and the reps even went as far as saying that if make a program that talks to another program via anything that technically your running a server and that its not allowed. Also you can not buy cals if your running a smb on windows 10 to cover user's accessing them, you have to buy the server software. I'm just gonna have to buy the server software and that's whatever (tax write off if anything) but why even have smb and hyper-v available to user's if you can't use it?? Luckily its not my money for this stuff but for average joe\jane that's expensive :(

btw those answers were for business environment, don't know about home usage.

19 hours ago, Kyte Xaranort said:

why even have smb and hyper-v available to user's if you can't use it??

Because it doesn't really matter if you do it at home. There's no audits going on there. I host stuff off my machine all the time.

They want that sweet $$$$$$ from businesses though. I'm sure enterprise and volume licensing is the bulk of Microsoft's profits.