Motherboard release another thought provoking video about right to repair

mr moose

Mother board has released another video around the right to repair issues that are going on in the US (and around the world really), this time focusing on a guy who rebuilds Tesla cars even though Tesla don't want him to.

worth the watch, and worth being open minded and critical about too.

Personally, I think everyone should have the right to repair their own goods, I also feel that companies should have the right to protect IP (not sure how they work together in some cases where computer code comes into question).  Also I am aware that when working with electrics, especially high current devices like these, there is a risk and certain degree of knowledge one should have before taking it on the road.

EDIT: to fix spelling mistakes etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't know about some but from my perspective as a car guy, any attempt to stifle self-repair is not something that goes well with me.

I think it's agreed upon that cars of today are harder to work on than older ones mostly due to increasing complexity thanks to computers. However, it's not impossible and it's that tinkering that led to the modding scene we see today.

Now, no one (except a few) are going to mod a Tesla, and I don't think Teslas have much you can fix anyway, but I think it's better to have some parts that customers can repair on their own if they choose to, but others like high-voltage circuits should be left only to certified technicians.

FUN FACT: You can't access the engine at all on the McLaren P1 unless you're certified. Why? You run the risk of electrocuting yourself if you attempt to tinker with the engine as it's linked to the electric motor.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

That brings up something I hadn't thought about before, if you own a crashed car with a recalled air bag do they still replace that airbag?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

6 hours ago, TimsTips said:

Tesla guy is cool. And yes, if you own it you should be able to repair it.

Tesla and Apple just want you powerless and at their mercy. I don’t want to derail this thread so I’ll stop before bringing up their political mindset. 

I don't think it will derail too much, that is the core issue of the topic.  And I think most people here agree with you.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, TimsTips said:

...and think the government is wholly incompetent. ...

Again, I believe most around here agree with you.

Is this about the guy who imported a broken Tesla to NZ, expected full support? What a joke, it was a write-off when he got it. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Is this about the guy who imported a broken Tesla to NZ, expected full support? What a joke, it was a write-off when he got it. 

I don't think so, this guy is in the US.    His argument is very sound and he seems very rational as he does acknowledge the arguments for and against what he is fighting for.