Jump to content
Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is it worth Upgrading ?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys. New member here,


i've been thinking about upgrading my rigs CPU, Mobo, Ram

but i havent quite settled if its really worth doing so, or if i should wait another year.




my current setup

CPU: Intel i7 4790K

Ram: 4x 4gb(16gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3

Mobo: Asus Z97-Pro Gamer  https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97PRO_GAMER/

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1080ti

SSD: 500gb Samsung 960 NVMe /m.2



This is what i'm looking to upgrade to

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Ram: 4x 8gb (32gb) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz or 3600mhz

Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX Z370H Gaming  https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-H-GAMING/

GPU: Keep Current

SSD: Keep Current



is it worth upgrading to that or would i just be wasting my money there ?



Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what your main Workload is ? 


if its gaming an upgrade is well worth it but anything else then not yet 


Depends on what he needs 32gig for (i have 128 in my system (since i game and do alot of VM's 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@BartTech I would say upgrade the Mobo and Ram for now. Also 32gb's for gaming is a little overkill but its his build. I really think 16gb is enough.

                                                                                            Current PC



CPU: I5-7400


GPU: Gigabyte 1050Ti


RAM: Crucial DDR4 8GB 2133mhz


CASE: GameMax Falcon


MOBO: Prime B250M-A




Mouse: Corsair Sabre


Keyboard: Corsair Strafe


Mic/headphone: Blue Yeti /w JVC HA-SR50X


Mouse Mat: Razer Goliathus

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at upcomming product launches i would recommend waiting untill next year. 


"New" intel 8 cores are comming with solder and Ryzen 3000 is around the corner.


Wait untill May next year to make your upgrade. At least then you will be able to see how Ryzen 3000 at 7nm turns out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your current setup is very much capable of doing some demanding stuff.
My argument for waiting would mostly be that RAM prices are insane right now, that ram alone is going to cost just as much if not more than the cpu.
I'd definitely say wait, not just for the RAM cost but also we're nearing the corner on some new cpus, or at the very least, information about them.

We know things are bad — worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' 
Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get MAD!

Link to post
Share on other sites

what is the goal of the upgrade?


do you do many CPU intensive things or play games that are CPU bottlenecked?


if not you probably dont need to upgrade at all for another 2-3 years easily.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 4x8 GB you could double up on these beauties:




G Skill QVL states that your motherboard should be just fine with them. Price is wonderful as well.


Makes RAM cost for 32 GB @ 3600 CL17 a mere $395.96

Preferred Current SSD Suggestion for a combined Price/Performance Dynamic in USA: SSD Benchmark Link -> Here <-

Preferred Thermal Compound suggestion in ... the Terran Biosphere: Review Link -> Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut


Should solve this recent double post trend. But editing and re-editing posts is just so... ... ... eh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now