Logitech Acquires Blue Microphones for $117 million cash

Original article:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/30/17633144/logitech-acquires-blue-microphones-announcement

Logitech is taking yet another company under its umbrella in order to bolster its audio hardware offerings.  They purchased Blue Microphones for a cool $117 million (USD) cash.  Standard corporate happy-speak abounded in Logitech's blog post announcing the acquisition, but they seem quite enthusiastic about the opportunities such an acquisition provides them.  Blog post here: https://blog.logitech.com/2018/07/30/logitechs-micing-up-with-blue/?cvosrc=affiliate.cj.7596969

From the Logitech CEO Bracken Darell:

“Logitech’s acquisition of Blue Microphones will accelerate our entry into a growing market, and offers another way for us to help bring people’s passions (from music to blogging) to life. Joining with Blue is an adjacent opportunity for us – a new way to grow – with additional synergies related to our existing gaming, PC webcam and audio categories.  It’s exciting!”

At this point no joint projects or rebrandings have been announced, but Logitech has acquired other gaming and peripheral brands before, such as when it bought Astro Gaming approximately a year and a month ago.  Since then no obvious signs of rebranding have occurred on the company's hardware save the copyright notice at the bottom of their site, but it can safely be assumed that there will be technology shared and jointly developed to improve future offerings under all the brands.

Logitech is becoming a powerhouse with all their acquisitions lately...

UE boom for their traditional audio tech.

Astro for their surround sound and headphone transfer function tech.

Blue for their recording tech.

And then all of the stuff Logitech already had on the camera and I/O side.

I really hope we see some big innovations from them moving forward. It's been really interesting watching what they've enabled UE to do since that acquisition, and even with Astro there have been some refinements behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

That sounds like if Razer acquired Schiit o_o

I mean they did buy THX 
https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/17/13309346/razer-buys-thx-lucasfilm

40 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Logitech is becoming a powerhouse with all their acquisitions lately...

UE boom for their traditional audio tech.

Astro for their surround sound and headphone transfer function tech.

Blue for their recording tech.

And then all of the stuff Logitech already had on the camera and I/O side.

I really hope we see some big innovations from them moving forward. It's been really interesting watching what they've enabled UE to do since that acquisition, and even with Astro there have been some refinements behind the scenes.

With Logitech being worse and worse general quality in recent years, I really dont see how it helps them. Audio tech is simply a question of cost when you have the right access to good design/materials. Do you really think gaming branded headsets and mics will be better? And their other offerings are starting to match their gaming quality as well. And their other audio offerings are more for business/basic consumer. Call center headsets, etc. 
I see them still selling suff like blue condenser mics on their own and for rebrands elsewhere, thats it really. Stuff like the razer mic that's basically an overpriced yeti. And if it does become cheaper, then that means they cut corners probably. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

They purchased Blue Microphones for a cool $117 million (USD) cash.

Why does this feel like Logitech got a killer deal? I guess I'm so used to seeing "Billion dollar" attached to the purchase of a company. Though I guess for a company that really only makes microphones, (turns out they make headphones too I guess) $117 isnt too bad. Still, that's probably chump change for Logitech. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Why does this feel like Logitech got a killer deal? I guess I'm so used to seeing "Billion dollar" attached to the purchase of a company. Though I guess for a company that really only makes microphones, (turns out they make headphones too I guess) $117 isnt too bad. Still, that's probably chump change for Logitech. 

Because the big guys have been overpaying for quite a few things. There are reasons for that. (Functionally, it's payoffs & back scratching.) Considering that Blue seems to have good revenue, this seems like the appropriate price for the company & IP. That normally means it won't hurt the purchasing company and there's no money laundering involved.

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I would disagree, but billions get exchanged for apps and shit that like measure your dick or something with a company consisting of 4 people and a user base in the hundred of thousands, not even millions. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

all the guys i know who use logitech are logitech fanboys therefore have everything by logitech 

logitech probably thought now they already have headsets and keyboards and mice and just about all peripherals covered what else are people using...well alot of people stream their games and most of them you blue mics lets do that.

bet money we gonna see something like the blue yeti or razer whatever it was called. - Logitech M810 or so with rgb leds and a tiny 3 row text display that nobodys gonna use BUT its gonna be wireless with unifying receiver and have the best lag..like no lag at all for unrivaledgaming experience ...blablabla

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

With Logitech being worse and worse general quality in recent years, I really dont see how it helps them. Audio tech is simply a question of cost when you have the right access to good design/materials. Do you really think gaming branded headsets and mics will be better? And their other offerings are starting to match their gaming quality as well. And their other audio offerings are more for business/basic consumer. Call center headsets, etc. 

I see them still selling suff like blue condenser mics on their own and for rebrands elsewhere, thats it really. Stuff like the razer mic that's basically an overpriced yeti. And if it does become cheaper, then that means they cut corners probably. 

There's a difference between "Logitech" the brand, and Logitech the company though. With the branding I'd definitely agree, but the company as a whole has been doing some amazing things.

Jaybird has been doing great since they got bought out, UE too, Astro is still rocking their existing product lineup but defect rates are down.

I don't really care about their gaming lineup, where I see the value in these purchases is for things like VR/AR solutions, audio mapping, and other new/upcoming fields.

Audio is *incredibly* important for VR environments and between Jaybird and UE's audio solutions, Astro's multi-driver transfer function patents, the high quality mic designs from Blue, and their own 3D camera tech Logitech is in a really strong place for bussiness class VR telecom for the next couple years.

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

bet money we gonna see something like the blue yeti or razer whatever it was called. - Logitech M810 or so with rgb leds and a tiny 3 row text display that nobodys gonna use BUT its gonna be wireless with unifying receiver and have the best lag..like no lag at all for unrivaledgaming experience ...blablabla

I'll take that money happily. There's no precedent for it. So far Logitech has been happy to allow their audio aquisitions to continue mainly undisturbed. Hell most of the people I've talked to about it don't even know that Jaybird, UE, and Astro are owned by logitech and Astros an actual gaming company that they could leverage the brand name of.

Smart purchase, now Logitech can dominate the audio market even fucking more

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Good for them. Power to the one peripheral manufacturer that actually pushes tech forward and not just slap RGB onto everything 

right...what actual push do you mean ? they have like a dozen rgb keyboards and mice and or the love of god even RGB speakers as of late.

dont get me wrrong i like their more business oriented stuff alot but the gaming brand is just overdone. they still have that stupid display on their high end keyboards. that thing has been around since forever and there has been very little use for it.

again i do love my logitech mx master. the design is great, functionality is great and the battery lasts for freaking ever. and then theres the very old z4 speakers im still using and loving. but thats all pretty neutral. the gaming side i really dont like espicially since they stoppe using cherry switches.

so maybe this is fine but my first association with "logitech" was their gaming brand 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

They are ahead in mouse sensors, was the first to bring viable wireless gaming mice to the masses, as well as wireless charging mice (and is still the only one that can charge DURING use), is actively making new gaming mice that focuses on light weight and practicality. None of their latest keyboards have a display any more. And their mice and webcam give you a lot for how affordable they are. Among other brands like Corsair, Asus and Razer, I feel Logitech gives more actual tech than an overemphasis on bling.

Yeah now instead of an LCD on the keyboard they have a stand so you can use your phone as the LCD xD

Friggen ARX, you're just as useless as the old G-panel...

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Logitech is shifting towards AA powered mice.

No, they're not. For a long time, every offering they had was powered by AA or AAA. Now, they're using internal rechargables more and more.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Like the G602/603/305?

MX Master, MX Ergo, MX Anywhere, G903, G703.

But sure, lets only look at the low to low mid end and old selection of Logitech's offerings.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, huilun02 said:

The G305 is very new...

What about notable AA powered mice from the other big brands?

Razer Ouroboros.

Microsoft Arc Touch.

Also, I didn't say all of the mice Logi still uses AA/AAA are old. I said that only their low to low mid end and old mice uses them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

The G305 is very new...

What about notable AA powered mice from the other big brands?

Yeah, it's crazy that a single AA battery can last 9 months in a gaming mouse (if you're willing to sacrifice polling rate).

The only thing missing from it is Bluetooth for when you don't want the dongle life for whatever reason.

Logitech are a great brand. It's nice to see some progress. The keyboards I have used from them (G710+) are very lovely as are the mice (G303, G502). I prefer them, definitely for the keyboards, compared to Corsair and Razer. 

Rest in peace Blue. We'll bury you in the same ditch as Jaybird and Saitek ended up in

Logitech's gone a bit dark lately...much less advertising.  I think they're depending on brand loyalty and word of mouth and reviews to keep them in the public eye.  Even so, they seem to be doing alright.  Maybe they believe that their acquisitions are a quicker way to remain relevant and technically up to date.  Plenty of companies buy other companies or license technology when it's cheaper than doing their own R&D on a product or they feel it will position them to more quickly put out a product to rival a competitor's product.  I'm really curious what kind of cross-company tech-sharing's going on behind the scenes with them.

I'm a bit pessimistic maybe but I find big brands can end up destroying smaller brands, I'm talking unintentionally, I would imagine competitors can be deliberately bought up and buried too.

From what I've seen, there are some possible bad scenarios.

1. Quality goes down, big company buys it, decides that small scale local bespoke manufacturing costs too much, let's make it in Generic Crap Factory #274 overseas instead.

2. The essence of the brand gets lost in the big brand. A company that may be known for innovation gets snuffed out as it's too radical for the conservative big brand, it's cheaper that the amazing tech support gets disbanded and big brands crappy support team will cover it and so on.

3. Potential innovation and integration doesn't get done and sub brands just stagnate. What could be an amazing opportunity to apply design and tech from one brand to improve all product lines is squandered and products from different sub brands just don't work well with each other even though they are under the one brand umbrella. It should be amazing and it's just meh.

This makes a lot of sense from Logitech's perspective.  Blue's microphones are frequently recommended and are a staple accessory as much as any popular Logitech or Corsair thing, so I'm sure they'll do well with this.  I also expect they'll take the tech and integrate it into their other products, (potentially) in addition to continuing to sell the same things.  One thing I'd like to see is the capsule(s) from the Blue Yeti as a standalone product with dual XLR outputs.  The regular one has only USB, meaning an integrated preamp and ADC, and the "pro" has an upgraded version of that same hardware as well as a stereo XLR out, but for those who would like to get a separate interface for the purpose of making the mic itself lighter and smaller, improving upgradability, expanding the range of gain (even min on these is kinda high in some use cases) and of course lowering the cost (at least of the mic, maybe not of the whole package), that would be a nice option.  It isn't by any means the most amazing condenser mic capsule in the world, but it's really rather good, and with a higher end interface it could really shine.  The main reason I like it is it's not just one capsule, but in fact 3 which allows it to act as a mono cardioid, omni, figure 8, and even stereo which you will not find in any other product at its pricepoint as far as I am aware.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.