Wait for 2018(9) iMac? PC All-in-one? Custom built PC?

I have seen this topic amongst the forums in different iterations, but I am hoping that I can get some responses to this as it pertains to my needs!

I am currently using a 2012 27" iMac, i7, 24g ram, GTX 780M 4g, 3T Fusion drive.  At the time I ordered this, it was the best configuration you could buy less the ram which I did myself.  I have been using this computer daily since I got it and aside from a reinstall I did a few months back I have had no major issues with it.

I would not say that I am dedicated to the Apple platform, so I am open to Windows options as well.

There is nothing wrong with my current computer, but I like to try and get something new before the current one dies out.  This computer is going on 6 years (2012 iMac bought in 2013), and it has exceeded the amount of time I expected it to last.  Having said that, I am in no major rush, and if something better will be out in a few months I have no issue waiting.

I figured that a 2018 iMac would be available but there appears to be nothing on the horizon for it :(

My budget is around $3500 CAD after tax.  I would like to get something that will last another 5-6 years.  I do not game much, the odd game of WoW, I do run multiple VMs, I do the odd video edit, and past that it is really just for browsing and media consumption.  

I would like the following in the machine:
- 4k + display

- SSD based (1T or 2x500 with around 3T spinning drive)

- Small size or all-in-one

So whats everyone opinion?

Do I wait for the next iMac?  Pick up the previous iMac?  Get an all-in-one?  Or build something custom?

8 minutes ago, TheTrain said:

I have seen this topic amongst the forums in different iterations, but I am hoping that I can get some responses to this as it pertains to my needs!

Do I wait for the next iMac?  Pick up the previous iMac?  Get an all-in-one?  Or build something custom?

This pains me to say as I detest Apple but If I were in your position I would hold out for a new apple product if you're in no rush. My reasoning is that you have been running Apple software for so long making the switch to Windows would probably be quite the inconvenience and you may not like what you get. I would say if you're going to get a Windows based machine you should get a copy of Windows to run on your current mac in dual boot and see how you go with it. I mean I'm assuming you have probably had a fair bit of exposure to Windows but maybe you have not had to live with it as your personal machine for any period of time. Just my take hope it was in some way of use 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

How much do you want to stick to the AiO form factor?

Personally, I'd consider a Node 202 (or similar case) with either a Ryzen/2, X99/299, or Z370 hexacore or octocore. Use the case as a monitor stand, and it'll be easier to replace dead parts. Get a monitor with dual inputs, and maybe a Mac Mini for OSX.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

This pains me to say as I detest Apple but If I were in your position I would hold out for a new apple product if you're in no rush. My reasoning is that you have been running Apple software for so long making the switch to Windows would probably be quite the inconvenience and you may not like what you get. I would say if you're going to get a Windows based machine you should get a copy of Windows to run on your current mac in dual boot and see how you go with it. I mean I'm assuming you have probably had a fair bit of exposure to Windows but maybe you have not had to live with it as your personal machine for any period of time. Just my take hope it was in some way of use 

This is a great point.  Windows is not my daily driver, but I have had experience with W10 and don't find it too different.  There will always be a learning curve on new machines though. 

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

How much do you want to stick to the AiO form factor?

Personally, I'd consider a Node 202 (or similar case) with either a Ryzen/2, X99/299, or Z370 hexacore or octocore. Use the case as a monitor stand, and it'll be easier to replace dead parts. Get a monitor with dual inputs, and maybe a Mac Mini for OSX.

AiO form factor works for my current setup, but I am not opposed to a small case.  When I had a PC a decade ago it was in a Thermaltake Level 10 which put me off cases all together haha.

well if you can't choose which to buy, flip a coin and heads get a mac, tail get custom windows pc. if you get head file a coin again to pick if you should wait for the next imac.

since nothing you do on this would require a mac and the performance you would get for your budget would be like the base model id say build your own.

This way you could get a Monitor that fits your needs and reuse it for future setups easily.

if you go for multiple VM´s i guess you gonna do processing on these that requires much power? 

Does your workload scale with many cores or is it more single core workload?

There is no real future for Windows on the desktop, so I'd stick to Mac or familiarize yourself with Linux. Windows is going to become a subscription based thing in the next few years, so yeah.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3293429/microsoft-windows/with-daas-windows-coming-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

17 hours ago, mad dudy said:

well if you can't choose which to buy, flip a coin and heads get a mac, tail get custom windows pc. if you get head file a coin again to pick if you should wait for the next imac.

I try avoid coins where possible, had one fall into an open power supply once :P

14 hours ago, Red jive said:

Maybe he could go for a hackintosh?

Have been looking into that!

13 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

since nothing you do on this would require a mac and the performance you would get for your budget would be like the base model id say build your own.

This way you could get a Monitor that fits your needs and reuse it for future setups easily.

if you go for multiple VM´s i guess you gonna do processing on these that requires much power? 

Does your workload scale with many cores or is it more single core workload?

Most of the VM stuff I do is just testing for various setups on my virtual pinball machine, and some tinkering with my SNES Classic.  Also do some work here and there to try and replicate bugs.

13 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

There is no real future for Windows on the desktop, so I'd stick to Mac or familiarize yourself with Linux. Windows is going to become a subscription based thing in the next few years, so yeah.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3293429/microsoft-windows/with-daas-windows-coming-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html

I like how far Mac has come over the years.  Free OS updates are nice.

I have used Linux a fair bit but do not think I would enjoy it as a daily driver.

10 hours ago, TheTrain said:

Most of the VM stuff I do is just testing for various setups on my virtual pinball machine, and some tinkering with my SNES Classic.  Also do some work here and there to try and replicate bugs.

with that workload you could realistically build a computer for like 1000-1500 bucks and then get a decent monitor that you can use for years and still stay at least 1000 bucks below your budget.

i would recommend going for AMD Ryzen to have a high core count for the VM´s, the final price would highly depend on if you need a strong GPU for the virtual pinball machines or not.

10 hours ago, TheTrain said:

I like how far Mac has come over the years.  Free OS updates are nice.

I have used Linux a fair bit but do not think I would enjoy it as a daily driver.

I've set out to move my main PC to Linux soon-ish. Going to see if I can get everything going the way I want it to. It'll be a hybrid for applications that can't be made to work, but we'll see....

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro