Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vod

Cheap Mobo And Cpu Combo?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello!

I want to upgrade, but I have to make athe choice: Ryzen or Intel...

I also want to know what is the best budget cpu for both, and the cost.

Will I need new ram, and witch?

What motherboard should I get?

1 minute ago, Vod said:

Hello!

I want to upgrade, but I have to make athe choice: Ryzen or Intel...

I also want to know what is the best budget cpu for both, and the cost.

Will I need new ram, and witch?

What motherboard should I get?

what do you have? what do you want to do?

for intel, I'd wait for the new cpus in two weeks time or so and see what they deliver
and for amd, i guess, the 2600x is the best bang for the buck with a b450/b350 motherboard

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | Dell P2314H

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

if you're doing streaming, the 1600/2600 does better while the i5 8400 performs better in games. if you're in the US though I'd get a 1600 instead.

CPU: Intel i7-4870HQ Heatsink: Coolermaster TPC 812 GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Geil DDR3 2x8GB Evo Potenza 2400Mhz mobo: MSI B85-IE35 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

what do you have? what do you want to do?

for intel, I'd wait for the new cpus in two weeks time or so and see what they deliver
and for amd, i guess, the 2600x is the best bang for the buck with a b450/b350 motherboard

Good reco, I’m personally just grabbing parts that are on sale until I pull the trigger on a CPU/MOBO. Picking up parts that won’t hurt my performance when I pair them with next gen hardware. Also good to do if you’re on budget and you need to stretch your purchases across a length of time.

Its hard to sit on a Chassis, PSU, SSD, and other misc HW though without wanting to go buy everything else. Haha

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

if you're doing streaming, the 1600/2600 does better while the i5 8400 performs better in games. if you're in the US though I'd get a 1600 instead.

I should add the performance difference in games is minimal.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Most people says that Intel is currently better than AMD. Based on experience, Intel performs great when it comes about single core performance than AMD Ryzen and it is less prone to heating. However, the extra processor cores offered by Ryzen compared to Kaby Lake is much faster than the Intel chip. Also, Intel Processors are expensive than Ryzen. So, your budget will also matter in choosing the best processor for your upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Maria Phene said:

Intel  is less prone to heating.

That is simply not true. Intel cpus have some toothpaste between the ihs and the cpu, so their temperatures are much higher than ryzen's. Also they use more electricity, so they produce more heat.

I just upgraded from intel to ryzen because of the price to performance.

If you're just going to game, i'd go with intel. If you want the extra cores for productivity, i'd go with AMD. That being said, ryzen will be able to handle your games, but you'll lose some fps.

Generally, AMD has a better value than intel's chips, but intel has a much better single thread performance. Ryzen comes with its own heatsink which will save you money. Also, even with ryzen 2, you could get away with a previous gen motherboard such as the b350 of x370.

That being said, ryzen is also picky about ram & you may have to get a more expensive memory kit with AMD for the best performance. Intel is much less picky & you could get away with a cheaper memory kit.

You can't really lose upgrading to either. It's definitely a buyers market right now

My budget is around 100 euros.

I currently have a Msi Grenade a68h mobo and an Athlon x4 845 cpu.

I whould go with Ryzen but I don't know any good sites to buy.

The last time I looked, a AB350 mobo was around $80 and a Ryzen 3 2200g was around $95, and thats too expensive for me.

1 minute ago, Vod said:

My budget is around 100 euros.

I currently have a Msi Grenade a68h mobo and an Athlon x4 845 cpu.

I whould go with Ryzen but I don't know any good sites to buy.

The last time I looked, a AB350 mobo was around $80 and a Ryzen 3 2200g was around $95, and thats too expensive for me.

have you looked into some of the first gen xeon processors? You can find those for really cheap on ebay. With a motherboard & memory, you might exceed 100 euro but not by much

Hello!

I'm wanting to upgrade my Motherboard and Cpu!

I currently have an Amd Athlon x4 854, Msi Grenade A68H and a Gtx 750ti.

My budget is around $115.

It dosen't matter if its not that big of a "preformance" boost, I think my motherboard has something wrong with it or it is too old, but I'm getting like 1/3 of the preformance of the cpu for some reason.

And still, it would probably have a better upgrade path than the Fm2+ socket...

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

What is the max budget for this upgrade?

$140 if I save up a little

Edit:
I forgot to say but I wont be getting the cpu or mobo for like another month or two

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between midday and midnight.

NightHawk: i5 6600k @4.1, ASUS Z170m-plus, H105, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, Strix GTX 970 XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 250gb 750 evo and 5tb Toshiba x300

My compute server (remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work :)

WIP NAS Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU White list:

Spoiler

I love to fly 

Spoiler

How to get PC parts cheap 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, BartTech said:

G4560 + MSI 1110M ECO is a solid choice

You are forgetting it will need DDR4 memmory

nvm it appears to support ddr3

What do you guys think of me getting a Xeon?
I've heard that they are a little cheaper?

Dual Xeon X5650s (one = ~$20 on eBay right now) would work well. A full system with those two CPUs would cost you around $100 or lower if you buy everything from eBay. If you want to upgrade in the future though, it'll be a little difficult.

13 minutes ago, Vod said:

Look for a used business machine running a 4c/8t CPU like an i7 2600

or just keep saving for a Ryzen APU

Also just reinstall windows to see if your performance issue is fixed.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d8h9tg
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d8h9tg/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $267.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-30 16:37 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot

14 minutes ago, BartTech said:

G4560 + MSI 1110M ECO is a solid choice

I'd avoid MSI, horrid quality control and bad customer service.  They have a higher failure rate than ASRock/ASUS/Gigabyte, especially during that era.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Blood Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)