Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blindeagle

is the evga g3 bad?

Just now, Blindeagle said:

A good alt i think ten i will go for is SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ seems tat its doing well and has very good reviews out there for it, thanks for the help 

The SeaSonic FOCUS line is excellent.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just seen a lot of bad reviews for EVGA 750w G3 80+ Modular Gold. 

 

This is my build : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/89YgQZ 

 

Some parts may change but overall i just need a good power supply and the reason i went for the G3 is a friend said its good as he has it and also right now in England there is a good deal on it for Website Deal for £87 which im thinking of buying unless someone tells me why i should not :)

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They can be loud, that's the main problem I've seen with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No its not bad. If you want to save some money, I would go for the 650W G2. It seems like you have a pretty high end build, so I would stick with it. You would never want to be cheap with a build like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard there are some part issues with them right now. If you want to avoid it look for the FOCUS Plus Gold or even a G2 if you can find one for a little more.


Current Build Log:

 

Original Build:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It has issues with its protections, and it's much louder than the competition. Your system will run fine on a 550W PSU (assuming you will overclock) so just get a Formula, Whisper M, RMx or Straight Power 11 550W. 


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blindeagle said:

Just seen a lot of bad reviews for EVGA 750w G3 80+ Modular Gold. 

 

This is my build : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/89YgQZ 

 

Some parts may change but overall i just need a good power supply and the reason i went for the G3 is a friend said its good as he has it and also right now in England there is a good deal on it for Website Deal for £87 which im thinking of buying unless someone tells me why i should not :)

 

Thanks 

The system in your link would run fine, even with OC, on a 550W unit. Go for a 550W Seasonic Focus Plus Gold.


|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| I like Power Supplies for whatever reason. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

My system: PCPartPicker || Resources for PSU information: "links are not allowed ExDee" | For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Lurick said:

I've heard there are some part issues with them right now. If you want to avoid it look for the FOCUS Plus Gold or even a G2 if you can find one for a little more.

After watching this : 

 

i think i should be fine :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Blindeagle said:

After watching this : 

 

i think i should be fine :) 

You're joking, right? All the guy did was show that he has got no clue at all about PSUs. 


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You're joking, right? All the guy did was show that he has got no clue at all about PSUs. 

If you watch his other videos about pc parts etc you can see he is actually really knowledgeable and knows a thing about pcs. I also think hes right a i7800k and 1080ti , hell even the new 1180's would run fine on te g3, think people are nickpicking

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blindeagle said:

If you watch his other videos about pc parts etc you can see he is actually really knowledgeable and knows a thing about pcs. I also think hes right a i7800k and 1080ti , hell even the new 1180's would run fine on te g3, think people are nickpicking

It's not about running or not. He calls the video a review, yet he never reviews the stuff that matters. You know, things like how the thing performs (regulation, ripple and transient response, efficiency measurements, hold up time), how loud it is (actual measurements), the components used and the protections. 

If you read an actual review, you'll find what I mentioned. Like the reviews on Tomshardware by Aris. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533.html

 

There you'll find that the OCP on the 12V rail doesn't work, that the OPP is set too high, that the OTP is set way too high and that it's not quiet. 


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's not about running or not. He calls the video a review, yet he never reviews the stuff that matters. You know, things like how the thing performs (regulation, ripple and transient response, efficiency measurements, hold up time), how loud it is (actual measurements), the components used and the protections. 

If you read an actual review, you'll find what I mentioned. Like the reviews on Tomshardware by Aris. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533.html

 

There you'll find that the OCP on the 12V rail doesn't work, that the OPP is set too high, that the OTP is set way too high and that it's not quiet. 

What i dont understand is that if its that bad why do people still use it in builds with 8700k and 1080's and say its fine etc and it works fine and the noise is nothing , it seems to be mixed half say yes , half say no but the people who own it, say its fine 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blindeagle said:

What i dont understand is that if its that bad why do people still use it in builds with 8700k and 1080's and say its fine etc and it works fine and the noise is nothing , it seems to be mixed half say yes , half say no but the people who own it, say its fine 

It's the people that have got no clue that say it's great, then there's the people that value low noise and working protections. 


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blindeagle said:

After watching this : 

 

i think i should be fine :) 

This means absolutely nothing. Personal reviews and youtube reviews mean absolutely nothing. The only reviews that matter are the ones that take a apart the PSU, examine its internals and puts the PSU through tests using multi-thousand dollar equipment.

 

There's so much more to a PSU. And it's the last thing you want to want to cheap out on. The EVGA G3 has issues with its Over-Power-Protection and Over-Temperature-Protection, which isn't good compared to the competition.

 

Guides to a power supply:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-power-supplies/ (easy)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/why-99-percent-of-power-supply-reviews-are-wrong/ (easy)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1 (easy to medium)

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/march/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience (easy)

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2053-power-supply-voltage-ripple-and-relevance (easy)

http://www.overclock.net/t/761202/single-rail-vs-multi-rail-explained (easy)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html (hard)

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/psu/160/1 (hard)

http://www.xppower.ro/dwnd/Essential_Guide_to_Power_Supplies_full_pdf.pdf (very very hard).


CPU: Intel Core I7-7700

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 with two Corsair ML120s configured in Push-Pull

Motherboard: MSI B250 Mortar

Memory: HyperX Fury - 4x4gb kit - 2400Mhz

Storage: 1tb WD Blue, 750gb Seagate Barracuda, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, 120gb PNY SSD

Video Card: ASUS GTX 1060 6gb Strix OC

Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 650w 80+ Titanium

Peripherals: Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB, Logitech G502, Corsair VOID RGB Carbon headset, two Acer KG271 bmiix 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080) TN Monitors

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

This means absolutely nothing. Personal reviews and youtube reviews mean absolutely nothing. The only reviews that matter are the ones that take a apart the PSU, examine its internals and puts the PSU through tests using multi-thousand dollar equipment.

 

There's so much more to a PSU. And it's the last thing you want to want to cheap out on. The EVGA G3 has issues with its Over-Power-Protection and Over-Temperature-Protection, which isn't good compared to the competition.

 

Guides to a power supply:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-power-supplies/ (easy)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/why-99-percent-of-power-supply-reviews-are-wrong/ (easy)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1 (easy to medium)

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/march/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience (easy)

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2053-power-supply-voltage-ripple-and-relevance (easy)

http://www.overclock.net/t/761202/single-rail-vs-multi-rail-explained (easy)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html (hard)

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/psu/160/1 (hard)

http://www.xppower.ro/dwnd/Essential_Guide_to_Power_Supplies_full_pdf.pdf (very very hard).

A good alt i think ten i will go for is SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ seems tat its doing well and has very good reviews out there for it, thanks for the help 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
Just now, Blindeagle said:

A good alt i think ten i will go for is SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ seems tat its doing well and has very good reviews out there for it, thanks for the help 

The SeaSonic FOCUS line is excellent.


CPU: Intel Core I7-7700

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 with two Corsair ML120s configured in Push-Pull

Motherboard: MSI B250 Mortar

Memory: HyperX Fury - 4x4gb kit - 2400Mhz

Storage: 1tb WD Blue, 750gb Seagate Barracuda, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, 120gb PNY SSD

Video Card: ASUS GTX 1060 6gb Strix OC

Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 650w 80+ Titanium

Peripherals: Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB, Logitech G502, Corsair VOID RGB Carbon headset, two Acer KG271 bmiix 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080) TN Monitors

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×